Goodbye Jesus

Where Did You End Up?

The Paineful Truth

I went from Xian (cultural Catholic, nondemoninational Protestant fundy, Catholic fundy) to Deism, then blended Heathenry into the mix, and varied back and forth between the two. Sometimes I felt more of a Deist (ie, content to not even care about the idea of gods much and let my reason and knowledge by my guides), sometimes I felt more of a Heathen (after having many episodes where I nearly converted to Asatru/Odinism as a Xian). Sometimes I felt like a nut, sometimes I didn't :)

Today, I am still basically that, but I am ever-shifting. Though today, I've exchanged my Deism for a more Agnostic leaning, since I am most honest with myself when I say that I don't know if any gods exist at all, much less what their identities are. Yet there is still the Heathen facet, where I defer to a mostly Odinic/Asatru-based view on religion and spirituality, and have pretty much eradicated any hint of monotheistic/Abrahamic leanings in my personal outlook. As it currently says under my avatar, I am an "Agnostic Odinist", deferring to Heathen/Pagan spiritualities and respecting all pre-Abrahamic traditons and Gods (especially the God of wisdom, Allfather Odin :) ) but ultimately Agnostic as to the existence of the Gods as real beings. At the moment, I do believe many Gods exist, some known and others unknown, and they are neither all-powerful nor all-present, but that's getting off topic.

As a Deist, I learned the value of using reason and the established facts of the world to primarily shape my view regarding religion and such things, and retain it today. There is still some Deist in me, for if the Gods do indeed exist, then I am Deistic in the way I view them (ie, reason over superstitiousness). Though to be more honest I must use the term "Agnostic", as Agnosticism is rooted in the use of reason and truth as one's primary guides, just more open as to whether or not any gods exist.

Though no label is entirely suitable after awhile.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Paineful Truth

• Skankboy

• Vigile

• The Sage Nabooru

Oh yeah - where I am now.

I am in that kind of feel-good spirituality that people love to hate. I used to call myself Buddhist but after a while I just found negativism there that I didn't feel was right. I've got a little bit of Hindu, a little bit of Bahai, a lot of New Age, a lot of panentheist and a lot of questions and a lot of answers. I believe that there is nothing to fear, but I still fear anyway - I don't want to be annihilated, reincarnated, or stuck in one state for all eternity. Sometimes I sincerely spend hours worrying about that - what to do? What is our ultimate destiny? Where do we go? I've no doubt we go somewhere, but what is that place like and how long will I be there and will there be any activity or silence and should I bring a magazine?

Definitely other. I initially found shamanic practice, then Wicca, which progressed to eclectic Paganism and green witchery (all of which are generally Pagan and relatively similar) which is now progressing into a more mystical view of things. Call me a Pgan mystic.

I'd like to ask where other former Christians have ended up after they left.

For me, the destination is Asatru.

That's the modern reconstruction of the pre-christian faith of Northern Europe.

I'm shaking....

Not everyone is a pure atheist, Asimov.

Meaningless!

I can't prove whether a god exists, but I don't think it's very likely. But I don't think it's impossible either.

So? :HaHa:

I went from skimming through this thread onto my next one. :Hmm:

I agree with that. Those people can be as frightening as Christian or Muslim fundies.

"I can't believe we live in a world where we allow people who believe in God or spirituality to breed, run for office, vote, raise children, even run their stupid religious organizations. All people should be converted to atheism or dumped out in the ocean somewhere."

"You sick fundamentalist, what kind of sorry bastard are you?"

"Stupid believer, typical of you. I can't be a 'fundamentalist' because I'm RIGHT."

Where do you read this? I don't think I've seen this kind of behavior here, but I just may not be cognizant of it.

Kind of a deist but also quite interested in Wicca and reconstuctionist paganism.

Though to be more honest I must use the term "Agnostic", as Agnosticism is rooted in the use of reason and truth as one's primary guides, just more open as to whether or not any gods exist.

I think anyone who doesn't claim certain knowledge by their philosophy is an agnostic. I'm an agnostic-deist, but since deists don't claim proof of our beliefs, agnostic is superfluous. But you could apply it to everything from Christianity to flaming up the butt Satanism.

With 7 years of Sunday school, I ended up being a pantheist Catholic because I never bothered to share views that they'd put me down for. Then I was a nondemoninational pantheist because I didn't feel attached to the Catholic church. Then when I started reading about religion, the bible and atheism beyond the Sunday school yaa yaa, that with what I knew about science made me an atheist.

With 7 years of Sunday school, I ended up being a pantheist Catholic because I never bothered to share views that they'd put me down for. Then I was a nondemoninational pantheist because I didn't feel attached to the Catholic church. Then when I started reading about religion, the bible and atheism beyond the Sunday school yaa yaa, that with what I knew about science made me an atheist.

Why did science make you an atheist and not a deist? Just curious.

not every1 needs to end up with the same beliefs as you paineful truth mmkay ;) people end up in different places whether they start off with science or not.

There is no doubt in my mind that Sikhism, Hinduism et al. are not worth the time to look into seriously.

And why not? Could it be perhaps because you have a very skewed opinion of such religions due to misinformation fostered by said Christian childhood?

That's an incredibly closed-minded statement. It makes me think of when my mother says "I know better than to read anything that tells me that Jesus is wrong."

Yes, its does seem a bit closed-minded, let me explain myself in a bit more detail - you'll see that it's not closed-minded just a result of logic. My reasons for rejecting Christianity, of which you are unaware hence your comment, were arguments against God. No God = no Christianity. The exact same equation applies completely generally to any religion which has a god or gods. Hence I already know that Hinduism and Sikhism etc. are not worth looking into, since their truth is dependent on the existence of a god or gods. The only reason I feel the need to take Christianity seriously is because of the childhood indoctrination.

Hope that clears things up, I am very open-minded! I'll happily change my viewpoint if enough evidence comes in. Why do you think I rejected Christianity? I'd be astounded if any ex-Christian who had been heavily involved with church is closed-minded. We've all looked at the evidence and radically altered our lives as a result, that automatically implies the person is open-minded.

Why did science make you an atheist and not a deist? Just curious.

For me, it was because science says to look for the least complex explanation. If the options are a completely naturalistic universe or a universe that appears naturalistic but has a god of somekind, I'll take the simpler of the two.

A big part of my life is the reduction of ego-centeredness. For me, seeing a deistic universe implies some kind of special creation and that we were intended somehow, which is counter to to my goals.

IMOHO,

:thanks: