Goodbye Jesus

Atheist Summer Camp

h3lix

http://news.nky.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?...EWS01/607210412

This is interesting because I used to live in Butler County.

Stephen Colbert on the Colbert Report (Comedy Central) listed this as the number 5 threat in his weekly "threatdown".

When Colbert was reading this part:

Children and teens learn about the canons of rational thought, critical thinking and scientific inquiry. They're also taught to stand up for their secular beliefs while living in a world of religious believers who might question their values.

The audience wasn't booing as you might expect, they were laughing in ridicule.

This at the end of the article set off my BS alarm:

Phil Burress, president of Sharonville-based Citizens for Community Values, said, “It’s amazing that they are teaching kids not to believe in God. I feel sorry for them.”

He said the small number of participants nationwide reveals the camp’s limited appeal.

"Their numbers are not growing. And they are pushing the myth of separation of church and state in America,” he said. “But if you look at the Founding Fathers, they incorporated God into our nation’s founding documents.”

Funny how he tries to shoot it down because of the limited number of people going to it. Well if their camp had thousands of "love" offerings with which to build thousands of camps, I think we would have a lot more of an appeal.

As for the last paragraph, we've all seen this before...

Every time a fundie fuckface babbles something along those lines I just have to grin, as it's basically an open admission that "all those damn facts threaten our cozy lies"... :lmao:

...I might react differently, of course, if I lived in fundyland too. :Hmm:

You are aware that Stephen Colbert is a comedian, correct? I just wanted to get that straight.

He's sharp as a tack and much smarter than the "best" politicians. But he is a comedian.

“But if you look at the Founding Fathers, they incorporated God into our nation’s founding documents.”

When are they going to stop out and out lying? Better yet, when are people going to stop taking them at their word and check these things out for themselves?

Fundies, please show me "god" in the Constitution of the United States of America. The constitution is THE founding document of this nation and there is no mention of any god whatsoever in it, much less the Judeo-Christian one. The Declaration of Independence makes mention only of "Nature's God" and a "Creator", but does not claim this to be the god of the christian. Study the writings of the founding fathers IN CONTEXT and see for yourselves that for the most part THEY WERE NOT CHRISTIANS!!!

This article is a nice starting point.

"Our Godless Constitution"

I didn't watch Colbert do this, but I'm guessing if it made his comedic 'threatdown,' list it was supposed to be ironic, a comic remark on people's stupid fear of atheism.

Being in Cincy myself, I'm proud of Ohio's atheist camp :) Go Cincinnati! I wish I had kids who could go, or was a kid myself and could go.

You are aware that Stephen Colbert is a comedian, correct? I just wanted to get that straight.

He's sharp as a tack and much smarter than the "best" politicians. But he is a comedian.

His number 1 threat was hilarious: Kix cereal

because of its slogan "Kid tested, Mother approved"

Colbert: I don't see anything about fathers in there, so clearly this is in favor of single parent, or even lesbian couples raising children! It should say "Kid tested, approved by a well balanced family with a mother and a father, just as God intended." :lmao:

The audience's reaction just got on my nerves. You know that if he'd talked about a children's Christian camp, the audience would be cheering.

And we live in an anti-Christian society?

I wish that "Life in an anti-Christian America" list were still taking submissions.

http://news.nky.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?...EWS01/607210412

This is interesting because I used to live in Butler County.

Stephen Colbert on the Colbert Report (Comedy Central) listed this as the number 5 threat in his weekly "threatdown".

:ugh: Colbert is a Satirist and usually he pokes fun at believers, Republicans, Bush... he's freakin Hilarious. He illustrates the absurd using the absurd. Do a search for This week on God.

I think he's outstanding and I adore him. :wub:

He's making fun of Fundys not endorsing them..

“But if you look at the Founding Fathers, they incorporated God into our nation’s founding documents.”

When are they going to stop out and out lying? Better yet, when are people going to stop taking them at their word and check these things out for themselves?

Fundies, please show me "god" in the Constitution of the United States of America. The constitution is THE founding document of this nation and there is no mention of any god whatsoever in it, much less the Judeo-Christian one. The Declaration of Independence makes mention only of "Nature's God" and a "Creator", but does not claim this to be the god of the christian. Study the writings of the founding fathers IN CONTEXT and see for yourselves that for the most part THEY WERE NOT CHRISTIANS!!!

This article is a nice starting point.

"Our Godless Constitution"

The christians like to pretend they own all the rights to using the word "god". Takes the wind out of their sails a little when you remind them they don't.

The christians like to pretend they own all the rights to using the word "god". Takes the wind out of their sails a little when you remind them they don't.

:vent: Yeah, they just really CHAP MY ASS sometimes. :vent:

:vent: Yeah, they just really CHAP MY ASS sometimes. :vent:

Do you prefer Chapstick, Vaseline, or Carmex smeared on your hiney?

Just watched this threatdown on ComedyCentral.com. Pretty funny.Couldn't link to the specific video, but as of today it is on this page:

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_col...ent/index.jhtml

It certainly seems to me that the audience "got it."

"Hey Muslim kids, celebrate Rammadan on Christmas! Allah will forgive you...or if he were Jesus he would."

:lmao:

Do you prefer Chapstick, Vaseline, or Carmex smeared on your hiney?

OW! Carmex would BURRRRRN!!! Just some nice KY would be fine...uh...yeah.

Thanks for the link ABAP

I watched the segment again and I see what you mean, but it still kinda sounds like they were laughing at the concept of an atheist camp. :shrug:

yay me hometown. to bad i dont have kids to send there. hey im in the market for a new job..that might be interesting. i can show the kids how to burn upsidedown crosses on their foreheads with hydrocloric acid. and hang the spleen of a young virgin on the wall to prevent demons from stealing their soul prematurely.

Ah :)

This is awesome! When was this?

It was a while ago. I think like 2 months ago, but I am not sure.

Saw it too. Felt kind of irked at the audience also.

Wish I were still young enough to go to the camp or lived nearby so i could be a camp counselor there.