Goodbye Jesus

Arrrgh...job Search And Parents

Amethyst

I was talking to my stepmom last night on the phone and she was listing off all these relatives who are supposedly praying for me. :Wendywhatever: That's not really support. That's them wanting to be seen as giving support. 99% of Christians do that. They don't want to actually do anything but they want to be seen as supportive, so they say they'll pray.

And then she says maybe it's god's plan so I could look for jobs out of state where my great aunt lives in a nursing home so I can take care of her. WTF? I'm not a nurse! I'm not hospice! I'm not anything like that. She's in a home, she's being taken care of already. :ugh:

Besides which, I took care of my mother when she was dying and I was in high school. I barely had time for homework, much less my friends. Caregiving also takes a lot of time and dedication. I really admire those who have the time for it, but I know I wouldn't be able to do it if I had a full-time job, and I need a full-time job to survive. WTF was she thinking??? :vent:

It's my fricking job search, not hers. I have a sneaky suspicion that she's feeling guilty about not being able to take care of my great aunt, so she's projecting that onto me. Aaarrrggh.

I was talking to my stepmom last night on the phone and she was listing off all these relatives who are supposedly praying for me. :Wendywhatever: That's not really support. That's them wanting to be seen as giving support. 99% of Christians do that. They don't want to actually do anything but they want to be seen as supportive, so they say they'll pray.

Matthew 6:5,6. Oooh look at me, I read the bible more than the christians dooo. Good luck with the job search. If I could do anything to help, I would. (Perhaps I can pray for you.... :HaHa: )

Well, on the bright side, I have an interview in an hour and a half. Maybe it'll pan out.

Whatever you do, just don't watch the movie Dick and Jane until you have your new job locked in. :P

And then she says maybe it's god's plan so I could look for jobs out of state where my great aunt lives in a nursing home so I can take care of her. WTF? I'm not a nurse! I'm not hospice! I'm not anything like that. She's in a home, she's being taken care of already. :ugh:

Besides which, I took care of my mother when she was dying and I was in high school. I barely had time for homework, much less my friends. Caregiving also takes a lot of time and dedication. I really admire those who have the time for it, but I know I wouldn't be able to do it if I had a full-time job, and I need a full-time job to survive. WTF was she thinking??? :vent:

It's my fricking job search, not hers. I have a sneaky suspicion that she's feeling guilty about not being able to take care of my great aunt, so she's projecting that onto me. Aaarrrggh.

I'm really sorry to hear this, Amethyst.

I can empathize: my mom lives and breathes "God's plan", and is constantly offering prayers. When I lost my first house (during my house search), she said, "Maybe it wasn't God's will for you to get that particular house." :ugh:

Any guilt/hang ups she has are a reflection of *her* issues, not of you. Try to keep that in mind the next time she gets all preachy with you.

Besides, you've got *our* support. :) Best of luck with the job interview!

Rosa

Thanks. The job interview didn't go all that well. They basically wanted a receptionist who's fluent in Spanish. That's not what I'm looking for. But at least I got interviewing practice.

My stepmom isn't a fundy, but she is very superstitious when it comes to god's plan and praying. She's Catholic.

My stepmom isn't a fundy, but she is very superstitious when it comes to god's plan and praying. She's Catholic.

So is my mother. I can feel your pain. :(

Dude that sucks, sometimes xians think they know what "god's will" is for us and try to manipulate us that way. Yeah I have people who "pray" for me as well, doesn't it suck major? Ugh. Parents can be annoying, I try to ignore mine when they get on their lecture mojo. Try being the keyword here.

:ugh:

Anyhow, yeah caregiving is for some but not for everyone, don't go into it if that's not how you want to spend your time. I hope that you find a job soon, I quit my telemarketing job at the credit card company, so now I'm in the same boat as you are and looking for new prospects. I hope that you find something, I know how much it blows.

On jobs: you should look for employment agencies. Adecco has a lot of offices.

On jobs: you should look for employment agencies. Adecco has a lot of offices.

I'm trying to avoid them, actually. I'm sick to death of contracting. I want a permanent job with benefits and something resembling job security.

My parents will stop at nothing to get me "saved" and yes I have basically everyone praying for me at the church I attend weekly and the bullshit I heard there is annoying. Im glad I put None as my religion on my college application much to my parents's disappointment, I'll have no preachers talking to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Received an offer for a permanent job today. I'm going to accept it. It's a decent paying job with benefits. The job is for an administrative assistant in a small manufacturing co., but part of it is updating the company's web site, which I'm excited about.

muchos congrats, Amethyst!

Hey, does it fit into "god's plan" or is it for something like Planned Parenthood where god could not possibly have been involved?

heheheheheh :grin:

muchos congrats, Amethyst!

Hey, does it fit into "god's plan" or is it for something like Planned Parenthood where god could not possibly have been involved?

heheheheheh :grin:

Oh, I'm sure all the Christians I know will say it fits into God's Plan , even though it was my confidence, experience, and skills that got me the job. Ah well, that's life.

Congratulations Amethyst! I hope that you like your new job. ^_^