Goodbye Jesus

Death Or A Better Place?

Guest spawned

Guest spawned

Christians had really odd things to say at funerals.

None, to me, were ever comforting, or felt appropriate.

"It was his time to go" If God has set times for us to die, then he sure isn't being considerate of the person or their loved ones.

"God had work for him to do" This one is just plain silly.

"He/she went to a better place." So you shouldn't feel like grieving, oh, how can you, when your loved one is in a better place without you! (sic)

Heaven just never seemed like a place to spend eternity.

Worshipping and praising God endlessly.

So God made us to praise him. To worship him. He cares little of our suffering down here.

How is heaven a better place?

The idea of some place being perfect surely is a stretch. And, if heaven was so perfect, how come Satan allegedly rebelled??

Does a person die of cancer, and say to God, "Well, gee, God, heck it's okay" because God didn't save them from horrible suffering? It's all made OK because they wind up in heaven?

Christians seem to think so....

I always hated the, "It was just their time" bullshit...

As if someone who is 15 years old and dies in a car accident had lived a full and complete life...

No, it was just a 15-year-old that got loaded and shouldn't have been driving a car in the first place, and died tragically because of it.

When my dad died there were people, at the funeral, telling me and my mother not to cry because he was in a better placed. In hindsight I thought that was so fucked up to say that to a 9-year-old kid...

That kind of cold comfort sickens me.

I hate those phrases, xians talk as if they're from medieval times. Why do they care about heaven so much? Sure life is tough, but I also want to enjoy it while I'm alive. If someone's gone, they're gone, I don't care if there is an afterlife, it sucks that they're not alive. I don't know why xians just can't let us grieve when we need to.

So, if god is the one choosing times to go, he knows that he's responsible for people dying before they get saved, which makes the idea of choice a lie.

what else do we expect people who can't face these things to say?

He's dead, "oh well, shit happens"

You could at least say: I'm sorry for your loss, or if the person was suffering, 'at least he isn't suffering anymore.

I've never understood the idea of saying "they're in heaven now." Read the fucking bible. Even in there it says they are "as if sleeping" in the earth only to be re-awakened at the time of judgement.

If you actually read the frigging book, you'll see the only ones in heaven were those that were taken bodily by god, such as Elijah. If you look at old tombstones from the american colonies, there's no platitudes about them being in heaven now, they all talk about how "here rests" so-and-so. The idea that people go straight to heaven/hell after death is a modern invention...

So, if god is the one choosing times to go, he knows that he's responsible for people dying before they get saved, which makes the idea of choice a lie.

Exactly - nice one :)

I hate when Xians spew their shit about it all being Gawd's plan or whatever. They'll say anything to make excuses for their god, whom they otherwise feel is unjust and cruel, yet dare not say it.

Anything to glorify death and suffering and make excuses for Jebus :Wendywhatever:

First of all, how do you know God chooses when someone is to go versus fate (illness, accident, etc) or someone’s poor choices (drug overdose, over-eating, risky lifestyle, etc)?

Secondly, if God attempts to reach a lost person many, many times before that person dies, why is God responsible for that person dieing unsaved?

Third, you refer to choice being a lie, but aren’t you choosing not to surrender your life to God right now?

chaz

I got a lot of all the above when my firstborn was stillborn at 36 weeks. People do intend to be comforting, believe me. I could feel their love and concern and I just had to focus on that. But the better advice came from my Pagan friends, who urged me to move forward and keep on with life. Interestingly enough, they were the ones who gave me the best help, they were the ones who really kept up with the support until I was really past the grief (seems like the Christians were willing to be supportive for a week or two and then I should have been fine) and when I was getting ready to conceive John, it was my Pagan friends who kept me going.

This all led me to the conclusion that Christians, for all their supposed "family values" are terrible at dealing with death and dying.

First of all, how do you know God chooses when someone is to go versus fate (illness, accident, etc) or someone’s poor choices (drug overdose, over-eating, risky lifestyle, etc)?

Secondly, if God attempts to reach a lost person many, many times before that person dies, why is God responsible for that person dieing unsaved?

Third, you refer to choice being a lie, but aren’t you choosing not to surrender your life to God right now?

chaz

First, Chaz, because "it is appointed unto man once to die, and after this, the judgement". If the time to die is appointed, someone has to be doing the appointing. Is there something other than god who is doing all this appointing?

Second, you assume god only "attempts" to reach a lost person, opening up the possibility of success versus failure. Your god opens himself to failure? Not so almighty, is he?

Third, I am not "choosing" not to surrender my life to god. I have no reason to believe I should, because I see no compelling reason to think there is a god seeking my life's voluntary surrender.

• 2 weeks later...

The current Christian belief in heaven is an evangelical invention of the 19th century. Due to the influence of traditional african beliefs on Southern Christian beliefs in the United States, Christians began imagining that they'd go to a "spiritual home" at the moment of death. A good source for this is Mechal Sobel's The World They Made Together.

Me? I think death is just fine and natural.

• 1 month later...

Christians had really odd things to say at funerals.

None, to me, were ever comforting, or felt appropriate.

"It was his time to go" If God has set times for us to die, then he sure isn't being considerate of the person or their loved ones.

"God had work for him to do" This one is just plain silly.

"He/she went to a better place." So you shouldn't feel like grieving, oh, how can you, when your loved one is in a better place without you! (sic)

Heaven just never seemed like a place to spend eternity.

Worshipping and praising God endlessly.

So God made us to praise him. To worship him. He cares little of our suffering down here.

How is heaven a better place?

The idea of some place being perfect surely is a stretch. And, if heaven was so perfect, how come Satan allegedly rebelled??

Does a person die of cancer, and say to God, "Well, gee, God, heck it's okay" because God didn't save them from horrible suffering? It's all made OK because they wind up in heaven?

Christians seem to think so....

When people say those things it really makes my blood boil, I find it very insulting and irritating to say the least. Particularly the "She's in a better place". How can being dead be better than being alive? There's nothing like being alive. Even if there was some sort of afterlife (which I don't believe), how could they know if it was better then here? No one has come back from the dead.