Goodbye Jesus

Argument For The Infallibility Of The Hitch-hiker's Guide

Ouroboros

We all know that comedy is best when it is based on some truths.

We can presuppose that absolute comedy is absolute true.

I believe The HH Guide is absolutely funny, so hence it is absolutely true.

What's your take on that argument?

Absolutely true. I dare anyone to try to prove to me that the answer to live the universe and everything is anything but 42!

Go on. Prove it's not 42

It's actually 37, because 37 is a prime number whose digits add up to 10.

No, it's 73! Gah, you don't know anything. (Gawd I hope 73 is a prime number)

Hmm...makes sense to me. At least it sounds more logical than xtian apologetics.

I call it Unapologetics, because there is nothing that we have to excuse ourselves from, that we don't believe or believe different than the religious.

No, it's 73! Gah, you don't know anything. (Gawd I hope 73 is a prime number)

Of course! 73s! the old 10 code

Nah, 42 is better, because:

42 in hexadecimal is 2A. "A" represents 10 in decimal. So we have here two 10's. Twice as good as 37.

42 has the prime numbers 2, 3 and 7. 7+3 is 10, so we see we have 2 and 10 again.

Also with the prime numbers 2, 3, 7, we can make the 2 x 37, or 2 x 73, again we see 42 is twice as good as 37 and 73.

The prime numbers added 2+3+7 is 12, and the digits of 42, 4+2 is 6, which is half of 12. And funny enough 42 backwards is 24, which is 12 times 2.

OMG!!!!

The numbahs! The numbahs! AAaarrgghhhhhh!

As for the HH Guide, I haven't seen it yet. What if it ain't funny to me. Would it still be absolutely funny, or would I then be an unlaugher banished to comedy Hell, watching reruns of Hazel for all eternity?

:eek::eek:

You haven't read the Holy Book of the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Universe?

I wasn't talking about a movie, man! I was talking about the book that comes with gold edges and hard cover, just like a Bible!

Btw, I talked to a guy (Ron) that used to write comedy for Little Richard. He consider this book to be the funnies book too. So that settles it. It's my Bible.

:HaHa:

I haven't read the book or seen the movie either

Your argument fails when you say that "I believe The HH Guide is absolutely funny" instead of saying "the HH Guide is absolutely funny". Thus you can't say "hence it is absolutely true" but can say "I believe the HH Guide is absolutely true"

Never mind, your argument is perfect :grin:

You're absolutely right. I can feel it. I can feel the Guide Book being the one and only book that anyone should ever read!

I better go and start a school and only let the students study this Holy Book.

You know it has answers for questions like "does God exist", or "what does God feel about the universe", and "why are we humans so interested in the meaning of life" etc. It's all there.

For instance:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. Q.E.D."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

---edit---

And Taylor, I forgot to say, if you haven't read it. Read it. You will see the light. You will believe it's absolutely funny too. You'll be saved, and know the truth. :grin:

Read the book and/or listen to the radio show. Don't bother with the film, it's shit.

Read the book and/or listen to the radio show. Don't bother with the film, it's shit.
Meh, the movie does have its moments. But definitely read the book or listen to the radio version first.

Nah, 42 is better, because:

42 in hexadecimal is 2A. "A" represents 10 in decimal. So we have here two 10's. Twice as good as 37.

42 has the prime numbers 2, 3 and 7. 7+3 is 10, so we see we have 2 and 10 again.

Also with the prime numbers 2, 3, 7, we can make the 2 x 37, or 2 x 73, again we see 42 is twice as good as 37 and 73.

The prime numbers added 2+3+7 is 12, and the digits of 42, 4+2 is 6, which is half of 12. And funny enough 42 backwards is 24, which is 12 times 2.

The meaning of life is math?

*is English major. Will now shoot herself.*

:HaHa:

I've seen the movie and it was pretty funny/goofy. I loved the friggin dolphins. I walk around my place sometimes saying that song.

I've been wanting to read the book ever since a friend read me the babblefish excerpt! :lmao: He was a Christian to and he still loved it.

:lmao: He was a Christian to and he still loved it.

Good to see some have a sense of humor even when there own religion is being made fun of.

I'm listening to the audio version (don't ask how I got it) and their is one point that bothered me. Has nothing to do with christianity but at one point it said a person could survive in the vaccum of space for 30 seconds if they breath as much are out of your body as possible. I don't really agree but I could be wrong. I thought that you would freeze to death before you even had a chance to breath. I remember some movie about mars and one astronaut was went off course and got stuck in the vaccum of space. His crewmates tried to help him but he knew that they were putting their lives in danger. He chose to kill himself by openening his helmet. Before the helmet came off his whole body was frozen. I think this is what most likely happens if you got stuck in the vaccum of space.

Anyway thoughts?

I'm listening to the audio version (don't ask how I got it) and their is one point that bothered me. Has nothing to do with christianity but at one point it said a person could survive in the vaccum of space for 30 seconds if they breath as much are out of your body as possible. I don't really agree but I could be wrong. I thought that you would freeze to death before you even had a chance to breath. I remember some movie about mars and one astronaut was went off course and got stuck in the vaccum of space. His crewmates tried to help him but he knew that they were putting their lives in danger. He chose to kill himself by openening his helmet. Before the helmet came off his whole body was frozen. I think this is what most likely happens if you got stuck in the vaccum of space.

Anyway thoughts?

I always thought that pressure made your blood boil or explode or something ugly in space.

I guess the point is that if you're in space without a space suit, you die. :shrug:

:lmao: He was a Christian to and he still loved it.

You see! Even Christians acknowledge the truth of the Hitch Hikers Guide.

Towel be with you.

I always wondered about the space thingy too...

Every sci-fi movie is different. Some people live, some people freeze, some explode... I really don't know! :shrug:

I remember some movie about mars and one astronaut was went off course and got stuck in the vaccum of space. His crewmates tried to help him but he knew that they were putting their lives in danger. He chose to kill himself by openening his helmet. Before the helmet came off his whole body was frozen. I think this is what most likely happens if you got stuck in the vaccum of space.

Anyway thoughts?

If he'd had his towel with him, he would have been fine.

Yes. He could for instance cover his mouth with the towel, or he could have tried to wave down an interstellar cab. Darn useful those towels.

WTF the meaning to the universe is 42? I had no idea what ya'll were talking about before. This is just to weird.

Yes. He could for instance cover his mouth with the towel, or he could have tried to wave down an interstellar cab. Darn useful those towels.

At the risk of being labeled a heretic, I could point out the additional texts from the little known writings of "So long and thanks for all the fish". This astronaut could have flown back to the ship. If he had just obeyed the scriptures, which suggest that if you fall and your attention is diverted before hitting the ground, you will fly. But I dare say that man was a non-believer. He probably didn't believe in Deep Thought and thought Slartibartfast never actually existed.