Goodbye Jesus

Impossible To Come Back To Christ Once You've Left

KT45

Hebrews 6:4-6 (King James Version)

4For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

5And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

6If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

I had a bible study on this passage about a year before I left christianity. My bible study teachers interpreted to mean that if you leave christianity, there is no chance that you will ever come back. It didn't surprise me when I heard it, my mind had already started getting skeptical about christianity even then. What did surprise me is that I had never heard this before. I've even read the entire new testament before and must have passed this passage without much thought. If this is the true word of God why did he hide it in a passage way in the back of the new testament? Why isn't this message included everywhere in the bible to warn us of what happens if you leave the faith? Surely such an important message should have been said at twice in the whole bible? Also why aren't you told this at the moment you get saved? It's like a contract and the words "if you leave you can't come back" are in fine print. This statement seems like something important to say when someone is about to make a life altering decision. And why did I only hear this message once?

Yes I hear what you are saying and it has been briefly discussed from time to time around here. It would seem if this were true all of the witnessing Christians who keep coming to this site trying to get everyone to come back, should know that it is not possible in the first place so they should just leave us alone.

Yes I hear what you are saying and it has been briefly discussed from time to time around here. It would seem if this were true all of the witnessing Christians who keep coming to this site trying to get everyone to come back, should know that it is not possible in the first place so they should just leave us alone.

I hear ya! The only thing that I have ever noticed to be unforgivable is blasphemy of the holy spirit. So, I guess there are 2??? Walking away from christianity or blasphemy of the holy spirit??? Cause, I mean, walking away from it, according to this part of scripture, is not forgiven, because you can never return?

I hear ya! The only thing that I have ever noticed to be unforgivable is blasphemy of the holy spirit.

Where is that in the bible exactly? Why didn't anyone ever teach me this stuff?

I hear ya! The only thing that I have ever noticed to be unforgivable is blasphemy of the holy spirit.

Where is that in the bible exactly? Why didn't anyone ever teach me this stuff?

I'm not sure how many times the bible talks about blasphemy of the holy spirit, but I found this passage on the web. You can go to http://www.gospelcom.net and look up different versions of the bible and dig through there.

Matthew 12:30-32 (NIV)

30 "He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. 31And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

I hope that helps :)

In different denominations, blasphemy of the holy spirit can mean different things. To some its rejecting jesus in your entire lifetime, to others it can mean saying negative things about the holy spirit as well as rejecting jesus, and yet to others its a combination of things.

Well its not really a bad thing to never come back, is it? If you leave and you're better off then what's the point of ever coming back? Most of us have admitted that we were miserable as xians, so not coming back is not such a bad thing after all. :)

I hear ya! The only thing that I have ever noticed to be unforgivable is blasphemy of the holy spirit. So, I guess there are 2??? Walking away from christianity or blasphemy of the holy spirit??? Cause, I mean, walking away from it, according to this part of scripture, is not forgiven, because you can never return?

I used to believe that you could walk away and then come back and be saved again (my church didn't teach eternal salvation), because God is always willing to forgive. But it was also taught that there could come a time where, if you had refused the urging of the Holy Spirit (through whom everyone is supposedly drawn to Christ) repeatedly, the Holy Spirit would withdraw, and leave you to your own mind. It was at this point that you were lost for sure, and would not return to Christianity. Thus, the fault is due to the choice of the person, not placed on God or the Holy Spirit. See, it's all us sinners fault if we're irreversible backsliders!