Goodbye Jesus

Speaking In Tongues

Knightley

I was always curious about this. A couple friends of mine tried to get me to "speak in tongues" when I was a xian and of course they said, "you just need to receive the holy spirit to do it." I know its not real, but how do people "do it?"

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• Crunk Bishop

• Amanda

• OnceConvinced

This topic has been covered several times here at ExC. The 'proper' term for this speaking in tongues bullshit is, glossolalia.

Christianity isn't the first religion to do it, and I doubt that it'll be the last. My suggestion to you would be to do a googlesearch on it and read what can. Eventually, you'll end up coming to the conclusion that it's nothing more than a combination of emotional, psychological and peer pressure.

(did I spell everything right?) :Hmm:

Just start talking gibberish.

And you've got it! :)

Spot on. Some people are just better at it than others.

I was always curious about this. A couple friends of mine tried to get me to "speak in tongues" when I was a xian and of course they said, "you just need to receive the holy spirit to do it." I know its not real, but how do people "do it?"

i don't buy into the whole speaking in tongues, but if someone does it, thier must be an interpreter present. or else it is bullshit. thier was another stipulation to it too, but i forget now.

i think in the bible where it says people spoke in tongues, it could be refering to people speaking a different language, which to them would be in tongues.

i don't buy into the whole speaking in tongues, but if someone does it, thier must be an interpreter present. or else it is bullshit. thier was another stipulation to it too, but i forget now.
You sound just like my inlaws! :lmao:

Oh! If someone does it, there must be an interpreter around. Otherwise, it isn't God speaking through them!

:lmao:

Let me tell you something, Freeday. Studies have been done on this stuff. Recordings have been made, and those recordings have been played for "interpreters" from just about every single denomination out there that claims this tongue shit as part of their theology..

Do you want to know what they found? Each "interpreter" from each church "interpreted" the message completely differently. Do you know why that is? Because it's ALL bullshit, freeday. It's ALL bullshit.

i think in the bible where it says people spoke in tongues, it could be refering to people speaking a different language, which to them would be in tongues.
And this is the cover thrown over the whole thing by the churches who don't practice it, nor do they wish do deny it completely because, after all -- it's in the bible!

Yes, it's all bullshit.

Fweethawt and JD are right about this one.

...."you just need to receive the holy spirit to do it." I know its not real, but how do people "do it?"

Obviously you've never been around a cockatoo owner :wicked: A number of these species are known to vocalize with what sounds like absolute gibberish. My Ducorps Cockatoo can easily rival Jimmy Swaggart when it comes to unintelligible dreck...with no holy spirit necessary! :HaHa:

This topic has been covered several times here at ExC. The 'proper' term for this speaking in tongues bullshit is, glossolalia.

Christianity isn't the first religion to do it, and I doubt that it'll be the last. My suggestion to you would be to do a googlesearch on it and read what can. Eventually, you'll end up coming to the conclusion that it's nothing more than a combination of emotional, psychological and peer pressure.

Yes you did Professor Fweethawt ;)

And yes you're right I probably should've done a search but its Sunday and I'm lazy. :shrug:

And yes you're right I probably should've done a search but its Sunday and I'm lazy. :shrug:

I didn't mean for it to sound like that, Knightley. Dang!

:phew:

I didn't mean for it to sound like that, Knightley. Dang!

:phew:

LOL, you're funny dude.

:grin::woohoo:

Do you want to know what they found? Each "interpreter" from each church "interpreted" the message completely differently.

Totally believable. It's one of those things that you can get away with and no one can prove otherwise. As long as someone has something to say in English, then "it must have been God"

LOL, you're funny dude.

Fuck off! :mellow:

:HaHa:

I once had a GF that would speak gibberish while she was sleeping. Freaky stuff, made my hair stand up on end when she did it. Sometimes her eyes would open which would almost give me a heart attack, as I was think "Oh god please don't look at me!"

I've been known to speak in tongues, particularly when I'm really fucked up on alcohol and weed at the same time, even though I'm completely aware that I'm not saying anything and usually giggling hysterically while I'm doing it just because it's absurd and freaky.

My guess is that it's usually coming from that place where most people 'find' god, their own subconscious. Just like the nonsensical imagery we see in dreams, glossolalia is just nonsensical sounds coming from the 'holy spirit' of the subconscious.

don't buy into the whole speaking in tongues, but if someone does it, thier must be an interpreter present. or else it is bullshit. thier was another stipulation to it too, but i forget now.

While I agree that speaking in tongues in not supernatural, it surprises me Freeday (you being a bible believer and all), that you attack it. Since according to your bible it is a fulfillment of bible prophecy and a mark of the true believer. Many churches distinguish between types of tongues. When speaking in human languages (Acts 2) and when speaking in the "tongues of angels"

1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in human and angelic tongues 2 but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal"

The bible actually only says there has to be an interpreter if it's going on during a church service. Any other time, say in the privacy of your home, no interpreter is required.

don't buy into the whole speaking in tongues, but if someone does it, thier must be an interpreter present. or else it is bullshit. thier was another stipulation to it too, but i forget now.

While I agree that speaking in tongues in not supernatural, it surprises me Freeday (you being a bible believer and all), that you attack it. Since according to your bible it is a fulfillment of bible prophecy and a mark of the true believer. Many churches distinguish between types of tongues. When speaking in human languages (Acts 2) and when speaking in the "tongues of angels"

1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in human and angelic tongues 2 but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal"

The bible actually only says there has to be an interpreter if it's going on during a church service. Any other time, say in the privacy of your home, no interpreter is required.

wasn't there another stipulation than just being an interpreter, i will look it up when i get home. i guess i am not attacking it, if someone does it, thats fine by me, but they will recieve no special attention from me. that other stipulation had to do with this, something to the extent that some people were doing it just for attention. maybe God does give people gifts of the babble. but it is not something that i have ever felt.

oh wait, garble, garble, garble, blah, blah, blah.

interpritation. Jesus said drink more chocolate ovaltine.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

wasn't there another stipulation than just being an interpreter, i will look it up when i get home. i guess i am not attacking it, if someone does it, thats fine by me, but they will recieve no special attention from me. that other stipulation had to do with this, something to the extent that some people were doing it just for attention. maybe God does give people gifts of the babble. but it is not something that i have ever felt.

oh wait, garble, garble, garble, blah, blah, blah.

interpritation. Jesus said drink more chocolate ovaltine.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Now this is an area I studied in-depth because people in my church would spew bullshit out. Paul says (retelling) in Corinthians that to speak in tongues in PUBLIC will have people looking at you as though you are drunk so don't do it! The supposed whole meaning and purpose of tongues was for WITNESSING to people who couldn't speak your language. IOW, if I'd never spoken German before and a non-believing German was around me, god would supposedly give me the ability to speak in German in order to WITNESS about Jesus without me ever having seen nor heard or even having had a single lesson in German. There is absolutely ZERO scriptural support for the crap they do in the church, ZERO support for why any English speaking Christian would speak in tongues with a congregation of ENGLISH speaking people.

Freeday, your folks sound like my grandparents and like me when I was a Christian. My super fundy charismatic Aunt says that my sweet grandparents aren't 'really' saved because they do not acknowledge tongues. They have the nine fruits and she is a haughty, high dollar, name-it, claim-it, impatient charismatic but they are the ones who need to fear...according to her anyway.

was always curious about this. A couple friends of mine tried to get me to "speak in tongues" when I was a xian and of course they said, "you just need to receive the holy spirit to do it." I know its not real, but how do people "do it?"

Knightly-We got into this a little bit on the Exorcisms-Deliverance-The Devil thread.

Basically, speaking in tongues is a self-hypnotic technique. You could do it with any word, say,"toy boat". And say it over and over. If you do it long enough and don't get distracted you will hypnotize yourself. This is the same thing done in Japa Meditation and Transcendental Meditation. Both involve repeating over and over again a "sacred" word or list of "sacred" words.

It was also known to happen at The Oracle at Delphi. The high priestess would breath in a special vapor (what is now known to be a narcotic fume), would speak in tongues when she was high, and then someone nearby would "interpret" the "prophecy". Remember the exorcism of the slave girl in Acts 16:16-18. When it says "spirit of divination", the actual greek is "spirit of pythia/python". Pythia was the word for a Delphi priestess.

Now this is an area I studied in-depth because people in my church would spew bullshit out. Paul says (retelling) in Corinthians that to speak in tongues in PUBLIC will have people looking at you as though you are drunk so don't do it! The supposed whole meaning and purpose of tongues was for WITNESSING to people who couldn't speak your language. IOW, if I'd never spoken German before and a non-believing German was around me, god would supposedly give me the ability to speak in German in order to WITNESS about Jesus without me ever having seen nor heard or even having had a single lesson in German. There is absolutely ZERO scriptural support for the crap they do in the church, ZERO support for why any English speaking Christian would speak in tongues with a congregation of ENGLISH speaking people.

What about the whole "angelic languages" thing? It never said don't speak in tongues. It said if you're doing it in a congregation there has to be an interpreter so unbelievers will understand what you are saying. So it says you can speak in tongues, just make sure someone interprets.

1 Corinthians 14:1 "Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. 2For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit. 3But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. 4He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5I would like every one of you to speak in tongues,[c] but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues,[d] unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

6Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the flute or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and he is a foreigner to me. 12So it is with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.

13For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says. 14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind. 16If you are praising God with your spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand[e] say "Amen" to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying? 17You may be giving thanks well enough, but the other man is not edified."

wasn't there another stipulation than just being an interpreter

The only other stipulation that I know of is that a whole bunch of people can't being doing it at one time.

1 Corinthians 14:26-39 "What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church. 27If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.

29Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. 30And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop. 31For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. 32The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets. 33For God is not a God of disorder but of peace.

As in all the congregations of the saints, 34women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. 35If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

36Did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached? 37If anybody thinks he is a prophet or spiritually gifted, let him acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord's command. 38If he ignores this, he himself will be ignored.

39Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way."

Freeday, your folks sound like my grandparents and like me when I was a Christian. My super fundy charismatic Aunt says that my sweet grandparents aren't 'really' saved because they do not acknowledge tongues. They have the nine fruits and she is a haughty, high dollar, name-it, claim-it, impatient charismatic but they are the ones who need to fear...according to her anyway.

i couldn't agree with you more, just to clarify, no one in my family has ever spoken in tongues, i have a really good friend that goes to a church where every sunday they speak in tongues. it even freaks him out. my other buddy went to his church once and said it scared the hell out of him.

"Speaking in tongues" is no big deal - just open your mouth and let loose with string of syllables. You'll automatically add some inflection to your utterances so it will sound like a language.

Back when I was in college, I did this to freak out some pentacostal pests who were trying to recruit me into their cult ("The Way"). They were astounded since some of them had been trying to develop the "gift" without success. And, they were especially astounded when I told them I am not a christian, did not believe in the bible, and that my speaking in tongues was just pretend. That's when they decided that I was, indeed, speaking in tongues - but in the language of demons, not angels :Wendywhatever: But at least they left me alone after that!

LOL, you're funny dude.

Fuck off! :mellow:

be still my heart

i couldn't agree with you more, just to clarify, no one in my family has ever spoken in tongues, i have a really good friend that goes to a church where every sunday they speak in tongues. it even freaks him out. my other buddy went to his church once and said it scared the hell out of him.

You should ask your buddy if he ever has had the thought as he watches everyone in that church spewing and sputtering forth in ecstatic languages, if it impresses him a some form of masturbation. I would be curious if he may have already said that, or privately has thought that but could say it? You should ask him if "spiritual masturbation” or "spiritual group-sex" would seem an appropriate, yet ironic way to call it?

BTW, I was in one of those churches and those were my thoughts about it.

:17::clap::notworthy::jerkoff:

My guess is that it's usually coming from that place where most people 'find' god, their own subconscious. Just like the nonsensical imagery we see in dreams, glossolalia is just nonsensical sounds coming from the 'holy spirit' of the subconscious.

That's about what I was taught in seminary! A short seminar on this asked us to say gobble-dee-gook to ourself and to notice how it ties up the conscious mind and allows more subconscious thoughts to penetrate through. It does seem to get rid of the chatter that streams from my conscious mind. I never practiced this technique and could never do that out loud, however... I wondered if it may be a preliminary stage to meditating? :shrug:

The Zen master Osho once said that doing gibberish is a great way to free yourself and put yourself in the moment.

"Gibberish is to get rid of the active mind, silence to get rid of the inactive mind and let-go is to enter into the transcendental."

“Remember, the first step of the meditation is Gibberish. Gibberish simply means throwing out your craziness, which is already there in the mind, piled up for centuries. As you throw it out you will find yourself becoming light, becoming more alive, just within two minutes." ~ Osho

Osho Zen

What about the whole "angelic languages" thing? It never said don't speak in tongues. It said if you're doing it in a congregation there has to be an interpreter so unbelievers will understand what you are saying. So it says you can speak in tongues, just make sure someone interprets.

What is an 'angelic language'? Also, you forgot to add in Corinthians 14:16 which reads: "22Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers. 23So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand[g] or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand[h]comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all, 25and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!"

Most tongue speaking churches do not use interpreters, they allow the people to babble til' there hearts content and that is what they look like, like total nutjobs, this is what I meant by no scriptural support. Tongues are 'another language' so again, why does god need to hear people speak in a foreign tongue when no foreigners are around? In each instance before this teaching from Paul no one in the other stories needed an interpreter to understand what someone was saying, in each circumstance it was for witnessing purposes only. Once again we see Paul not lined up with the other apostles or Jesus.

Paul teaches not to forbid speaking in tongues but clearly when taken in context with the rest of chapter 14 he meant not to forbid it when done properly.