Goodbye Jesus

Speaking In Tongues

Knightley

Fortunately I've never been witness to it. That would just totally freak me out.

When I was quite young my friend and I, for s&g's, would speak japanese, chinese, german, whatever;or at least some gibberish that had a fading resmblance to those languages. We got pretty good at it and could fool the local rubes into thinking we could actually speak those languages.

Kinda like speaking in tongues, I guess.

Yeah definitely. My uncle was making a big deal once how he was speaking in tongues and a Maori came up to him afterwards and told him he had been speaking in Maori. The thing is whenever he spoke in tongues it really did sound like Maori. But all he was really doing was doing what you were doing and it just so happened some of the stuff made some sence to a real Maori. lol. Which isn't that remarkable really when you consider that Maori is a very simple language with not a lot of sounds and when you hear enough Maori (which you do in NZ), you are bound to start repeating some of the more common phrases without even thinking about it.

HanSolo, I don't think fake laughter has any benefits. Real laughter, in and of itself may be considered holy, sacred, though. There have been studies done about the benefits of laughter to health. Dr. Bernie Segall (sp?) has shown where people have even been cured of cancer through laughter! I think that it has to be 'real' laughter, done anywhere, and NOT from issues of insecurity and low self esteem perpetrated by a "church". :Hmm:

I have no doubt that laughter has some benifits, but what got to me was those Christians who insisted that the bible promoted their "Holy laughter". That was just a flat out lie as far as I was concerned.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• Crunk Bishop

• Amanda

• OnceConvinced

to answer gaura:

alot of times people will speak in tongues during the "praise and worship" music session in the service. in my experiences at "Evangel Cathedral," a charismatic community church that drew about 4000 people every Sunday in my hometown. They'd start the worship service at 10am ish, do the praise and worship thing (spiritual jazzercise) for 45 minutes or so. People would speak in tongues during this part. Then everyone was quiet for the specials and the preacher's presentation. If there was an official time to pray for the sick from your seat, some people would mutter to themselves in tongues. Everyone was silent for the sermon, but the altar calls would get really emotional and people might shout out in tongues.

More tongue speaking happened in the smaller "home" groups, where people would meet at each other's houses instead of attending church on Sunday evenings. I was in the youth group, which still met at the church. Often the smaller groups would have informal prayer sessions in which everyone would sort of wander around and pray in tongues or sing or prophesy or lay hands on people. Alot of charismatic Christians also pray in tongues in their everyday lives, like at their houses or alone in their cars, but usually try to hide it from the mass public.

Alot of charismatic Christians also pray in tongues in their everyday lives, like at their houses or alone in their cars, but usually try to hide it from the mass public.

Yup. I used to do that. A couple of times I did it the whole day, from morning to evening, and stayed in a kind of prayer-trance the whole day. It was pretty much the feeling you have when you had a couple of drinks, but you're not drunk yet. I was thinking that was being drunk of the Holy Spirit as the Bible instructed. Unfortunately it was a little hard to work, I couldn't focus on my job, so I stopped doing this quite soon after.

"drunk in the spirit" awesome! i never quite knew how to do that one right because i had never had a drink. didn't stop my spiritual imagination, though. in retrospect, being really drunk trumps the holy kind... except for the shits and the hangovers.

Like the time me and some of my friends had a war-prayer session going on for a couple of hours for our city (or village rather). Trying to ask God for revival. 3-4 hours we went on, and prayed loud and intense. It made me dizzy... did we get revival?... nope.

well, duh, you didn't get revival because you were naughty and :ugh: you weren't totally right with gawd...

Absolutely correct. I did watch TV on Sundays, that must've been it. :)

And not even fasting several times, or participating in plenty prayer meetings for the the same purpose over the years, really helped. *sigh*

Maybe it was all the homosexuals? I think there maybe was one or two in the 4,000 people population. I'm not sure. Maybe it was the store owners fault that overcharge his customers for the milk? :shrug:

Or maybe it was simply that our village was too small for God to care about, he only glanced over the map and decided that this little village wasn't worth the trouble.

yeah, gawd forbid that people could ever improvise anything on their own... often cited as proof of miraculous or the inspirational.

Then these guys are the true saviors!

post-566-1155675177.jpgpost-566-1155675195.jpgpost-566-1155675210.jpgpost-566-1155675238.jpg

I worship them. :notworthy:

i don't have much else to add to the topic, i think most of the talked about rituals are done because other people are doing them, people are trying to fit in.

but when i saw the pic of wayne brady. have you seen the skit he did on the dave chapel show. it is the funniest shit known to man if you have seen what wayne normally does.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CU5rZd3AJPU&amp...sesame%20street

it is edited severely, get the chapel show season 2, it is well worth it. it will fill you with the holly spirit laughter.

Well thanks for the answers. It's hard to conceive of just spouting out something in tongues/ gibberish during any part of a service-- Catholics are such sheeple that they don't say anything but the Catechism-correct response at any time...it does sound a little more like the "Joys and Concerns" part of some open Circles among Pagans, people will get spontaneous at that time, especially with the joys! Maybe that's another reason I stay Pagan... there's life to those rituals, when I get to them these days, that is...

Over on the main blog part of the website, Sandra has made a post called Unsure with Many Doubts. In it she refers to being present when someone spoke in tongues and others identified the speech as an actual language that the tongue-speaker could not have known.

I asked her to see if she can verify those claims.

Does anyone know of evidence about speaking in tongues turning out to be an actual language and not language-like gibberish? We often hear christians say "so and so spoke in tongues and someone else said it was Japanese" or whatever, but I've never heard anyone say "I myself recognized the language of tongues as ________, of which I am a fluent speaker, and the message was '---------'."

yeah, in the charismatic circles i hung out in when i was 16-19 I always heard stories about how "somebody I know (usually someone overseas or having been doing missionary work in the third world somewhere) said that they heard tongues being spoken and it was a real language that the speaker couldn't know." typical miracle story distribution... "I know somebody in Italy who knows somebody that found a splinter of the True Cross." If you're only directly repeating what you heard from somebody else... how can that be lying??? :Doh:

Are you replying to my question about verifying a real language, Crunk Bishop? I said nothing about anyone lying. I don't know what you're talking about with your question about "lying."