Goodbye Jesus

Masonic Membership

Guest indy107

Guest indy107

I am having a bit of a problem.

Before my 'deconversion' process started - several months ago - I had gotten quite interested in joining the Masonic Lodge. They do not require you to be a 'christian' - just that you belive in a supreme being. They call him the 'great architect of the universe', and you have to swear oaths on a bible.

Why do I want to join the Masons? Several reasons I guess. I think they are interesting, the whole knights templar connection (or possible connection) is fascinating. Most churches do NOT like the masons (not really a reason for joining - i just think its funny). I think there's alot of history there to be learned (I love history). And - I'd like to join the Shrine. I'm a musician and would like to be in the Shriner Band. Silly reason maybe but.....oh well. Bottom line - I still would like to join.

But you have to believe in a supreme being and swear oaths on a bible. (or other holy book)

They do not accept atheists.

Do I believe in a supreme being? Yeah - I think so. Definately not the god of the Old testament - that's for sure. Heck, for all I know our 'gods' could be nothing more than an alien race who seeded our planet billions of years ago. But they would be 'supreme beings' wouldnt they. So yes, I can say I think there's 'something' out there. Just not the 'god' the bible presents.

Do I belive in the bible - uh - HELL no. At least not the way the fundies present it. Maybe - just maybe - 3000yrs ago it meant something - maybe something important - but I do honestly believe the Roman Catholic Church took 'whatever it was supposed to be' and twisted it into something totally different - mostly for their own gain. I'm reading several books - The Pagan Christ and Jesus and the Lost Prophet. Interesting reading - a little over my head sometimes - but interesting. Their theory is the bible was a collection of storys and myths - or allegorys - used to implant deeper gnostic messages - or something like that. I guess the point is - for a book to be around as long as the bible has - it must have some importance - I just don't believe it literally anymore.

So I try to be a decent, ethical guy - and if the Masons want me to swear on a bible - could I? Should I? Believing right now the way that I do? Would you?

Indy

Goodbye Jesus

If you were in court would you swear on the bible? Since you believe that there maybe a god I see no problem. Are you worried about possible hazing rituals they do (I know they do from accidental deaths in the news)? Do u see yourself having troubling memorizing tons of information with whatever career you have? Do you know masons?

From what I know of the Masons, you can swear on any "holy book" that is significant to your religious path, or perhaps even whatever book you'd consider as best fitting that description. Their requirement that you acknowledge a god of some sort is really open-ended, and Lodges are probably very willing to accomodate you, especially if you talk to the Lodge you seek to join up at.

If you were in court would you swear on the bible? Since you believe that there maybe a god I see no problem. Are you worried about possible hazing rituals they do (I know they do from accidental deaths in the news)? Do u see yourself having troubling memorizing tons of information with whatever career you have? Do you know masons?

:twitch: My Husband is a Mason and I can assure you they do not do hazing rituals. I'd like to read about this death and if you have a link to the story that would be great. Perhaps you're thinking skull and bones or some other group?

I won't join the Eastern Star because I can not swear there is a higher being. I would love to join, but won't compromise my real doubt to be part of a group. I'm not sure either way if a god exists. I do however participate with dinners and what not, wonderful people are in the masons. . Be one ask one, is not Satanist, dark worship, hazing or other stuff. That was bullshit put out by disdainers of masons mostly churches because the masons don't require a belief in a set god (such as Jesus Christ) As long as there is a belief in some sort of creator that is all that's required. Any religious dogma is welcomed. It's about growing to become a better man and better person making a better world.

I'm not so sure about the swearing on the bible I'll have to ask about that. A Jew of course would never swear on a Christian bible, nor would a Muslim... I'm not sure how that works I never thought to ask. I could find out and get back to you on that.

I find those guys pretty cool especially the Shriners, largely due to the hospitals they run (then again I am a bit biased, as I have a lot of connections to those hospitals, and have even worked at them before).

:twitch: My Husband is a Mason and I can assure you they do not do hazing rituals. I'd like to read about this death and if you have a link to the story that would be great. Perhaps you're thinking skull and bones or some other group?

This happened during an initiation where a member was shot because they brought a real gun to a ritual instead of blanks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usguns/Story/0,,1166705,00.html

the article was on many more news sites but they seem to be disappearing (it was on nytimes.com but it's gone now)

Masonic_Paddle_medium.jpg

I'm sure many don't do it anymore but I'd still be careful.

Thanks for the link and story, You've rendered me speechless. I'm going to look into what this is all about.

...and you get free soda from the machines to. I saw it on the Simpsons.

And you get to go in secret tunnels to avoid traffic.

And don't forget shaping governmental policy. That's nothing to sneeze at, y'know :mellow:

Many of the founding fathers were Masons. There's even a famous portrait of George Washington in his Masonic apron, and that weird eye-floating-above-a-pyramid thingy on the back of the dollar bill (called the "illuminati," I think) derives from Freemasonry. George and most of the other founding fathers who were Masons were not christians but deists (and not at all evangelistic about their beliefs, which seem sort of nebulous, from what I can determine).

Any way, my point is, I don't think you'd have to compromise your principles in order to join. So, if you're interested, I'd say go for it.

...and you get free soda from the machines to. I saw it on the Simpsons.

:lmao: And the membership prevents medics from stealing your wallet.

"What do you nguys do on Wednesday night?""It's a secret" Shut up.