Goodbye Jesus

My Stepmother

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

My father's 60th birthday was last week and we had a lovely little party for him. During the course of the evening we watched a video compilation of photographs of his life. Long before the party, Lynn, my stepmother, had asked all his family and friends to give her photos to scan for the event.

Lynn is a shutterbug and always has been, in addition to being a domineering, deceitful fundamentalist control freak. There is a small library of photo albums in their home depicting possibly every moment of her life at 5 minute intervals. There aren't alot of Durham photographs from before my Dad married her. All the photos of my sister's and my childhood are precious and rare to us.

My sister asked my Mom for some pics to contribute, and even though my mother doesn't think very highly (to put it mildly) of my father and unabashedly disdains Lynn, she sent some of those rare photos to be used in the birthday celebration.

One of the pics is of my mother on a bed in Tangier, Morocco moments before a midwife delivered my sister into the world. That day was April 17 1975. Now, my mom can be a little spacy and everyone I know loves her for it. The handwritten caption on the back of the pic says January 17 1975. That's my mom :grin: Who knows how she spaced the date when she wrote that, but she did, and it's been a source of amusement to the family for years. You can't buy that kind of gold.

Lynn returned the photo with the date crossed out and the correct date written in. :Doh::vent:

What. The. Fuck. Who does that? That pic had survived 31 years with that date, and hundreds of viewings by people intimately familiar with the day of my sister's birth and she presumed to "correct" the mistake my mother, who owns the photo and hates her, made. Would any of you write on anyone's 31 year old precious heirloom photograph for any reason? To correct a spelling error, maybe? Fuck that!

My sister and I both wrote her telling her how pissed off we were and she apologised for "hurting us" but said that she hadn't done anything wrong. I tried to make her think about it and asked her how she would feel if someone had done the same thing to a pic of her mother the day she died and she got angry basically saying that there's no comparison because the pic of her mother is ostensibly more important. I mean, she is seriously the most recalcitrant and obtuse person I've ever known.

She's trying to start her own photography business where she does weddings or makes compilation disks of people's old photos and I tried to impress upon her that she wouldn't last long in her business if she didn't see anything wrong with her behavior. I feel like I've been taking crazy pills.

Oh man! That would suck. :ugh:

I'd print up a picture, any picture of any person who was born on January 17, 1975, write the date of April 17, 1975 on the back of it, give it to her with instructions to never correct it.

I doubt she would recognize the sarcasm though. :banghead:

You do not fuck with other people's stuff. Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if that bitch went snooping through someone's bedroom, found their diary, and not only read the highly intimate material, but even went so far as to correct the content for spelling and grammer! And then have the audacity to be "confused" when the owner of the diary has the nerve to be pissed!

What a bitch! Sorry you have to put up with this type of person in your family.

Dang, I'm really sorry to hear that. That was really wrong of her, and the fact she won't even acknowledge it just makes it worse. It's amazing the depths of stupid people can descend to.

I'm glad at least she didn't lose it or spill something on it.

She's a bitch no doubt, I've been at it with the stepmonster a few times myself and its never fun. I'm sorry to hear that, I can't believe someone would actually do something shitty. I'm sorry that this happened to you Jeremy.

Pissed me off too! The wrong date was an intimate memory of y'all's too..damn..someone go slap the bitch for me. :vent:

Better yet, print out these responses and send them to her.