Goodbye Jesus

Numbers 31: Rape Or Slavery?

h3lix

hold on now, were did the hostility come from. who knows what they did to the girls, probably raped them, treated them harshly and killed them. but in that culture, when they concured people, they would do everything possible to ensure that the nation would not reform. that was all i was trying to say.

yes, I agree, the problem is that the Jews were doing the exact same thing that every other culture was doing at the time...they no longer have any claim to being morally superior

i am not sure to say that it was a tale that grew into something more. but in that culture, when nations fought, they felt it was almost a fight between the God's of the nations. so if isreal won, the win was attributed to thier God. if they lost, it was because they had displeased God. if you read the OT, this theme will arise a lot.

Yes, most other cultures thought this way as well, except many times they would read defeat to mean that the other cultures gods were more powerful and thus would convert to the new religion. Of course, most of the ancient stories about israels battles were over blown a bit, just as with a lot of writings from that time. Archology suggests that the exodus never happened, so the battles to take over the promised land are most likely highly exagerated.

Since freeday is defending this, I will pose the question again:

Why the relativity of Genocide? It is clearly an imoral act today, why wasn't it then (and slaughtering all of the males of a population would have definately done just that) Why was genocide okay then, and not now? And whatever happened to Thou shalt not murder? (My guess is that the closer to the big guy you are, the more this becomes negotiable.)

I await your response.

BG, God works in mysterious ways and you do not have enough faith.

It's not murder because these people were being sent to the paradise of heaven! That was better for these people!

How dare you satanic atheists call it murder?

...seriously, these people were, according to God's rules and decree, not heaven-bound. These people were ordered to be sent to hell.

This just because God didn't like them?

um...how did they tell which girls were virgins and which ones were not? Women who had children were not virgins is a given, but say from 12 and older how did they know? Did they check to see if they hymen was there?

h3lix,

There is no mention of hell in the OT. In the OT when they died, they just died. Hell is a NT concept.

Taph

um...how did they tell which girls were virgins and which ones were not? Women who had children were not virgins is a given, but say from 12 and older how did they know? Did they check to see if they hymen was there?

h3lix,

There is no mention of hell in the OT. In the OT when they died, they just died. Hell is a NT concept.

Taph

They probably just killed everyone above twelve assuming they were not virgins.

Did the rules and the existence of an afterlife change after the new testament?

I did a bible search in the old testament for the word "hell", for which I never found anything...

Is lucifer's condemnation mentioned in the old testament?

They probably just killed everyone above twelve assuming they were not virgins.

Did the rules and the existence of an afterlife change after the new testament?

I did a bible search in the old testament for the word "hell", for which I never found anything...

Is lucifer's condemnation mentioned in the old testament?

I learned this from being a member on this site. I know that Lucifer is only mentioned once in Isaiah.

A while back, Mythra had posted something about Ugarit.. I became interested in Ancient Sumerian beliefs and the Canaanite pantheon. Reading the Old Testament after leaning about how the Isrealites were influenced by the Canaanites is an eye opening experience.

Isaiah Chapter 14:

"12": How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

"13": For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

"14": I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

In the Caanite Pantheon, Lucifer was the son of the Morning God. El was the supreme God, El & his wife Ashereh (who is mentioned many times in the OT as a false goddess, she lost favor after supporting one of her son's attempted takeovers.) were the mother and father of 70 (I think) other gods. El was reprented by the planet Jupiter, which travels across the night sky. Other stars and planets represented other gods. Heaven was literally up there above the clouds, which was belived until Gallileo proved this otherwise. (Which was why the Caltholic church prosecuted him, because he was disproving the very existance of heaven and God.)

The Canaanite Pantheon was called "The Assembly of the Gods". They had their own Mt. Olympus, (I forgot what it was called) to the North of Canaanite.

Slight nit. Lucifer is a reference to the planet Venus (the morning star) and if memory serves is a Latin origin (which is why the name Lucifer really isn't synonymous with the Hebrew Satan...the quoted verse having nothing to do with Satan but the sitting King of Babylon).

Baal was in the Ugaritic Parthanon, and was likely a brother to YHWH as an original son of El. Satan came along as a faithful son of YHWH, and then later became his nemesis.

mwc