Goodbye Jesus

Who Needs A God...

Guest Neo-Agnostic - Vulgaris

Lemme start simply: I never really was much of a religious man. I went to church every now and then, I thought there might be a god, but I couldn't be sure. To be honest, I wondered why there would be an all-powerful, all-benevolent being that would allow the horrible things I had seen in my life.

But I'm getting ahead of myself, so let me get on to the beginning. I was born three months too early, and many thought I would never survive. They called me a "miracle". Feh, some miracle, right, a guy who turns out to be an agnostic atheist anyway? Yeah. Anyway, my family was really christian in name only - we didn't go to church regularly, we didn't do all that praying garbage, we were just... ourselves.

I grew up an asthma-plagued mess, but was fortunate enough to be the intelligent, questioning type. As I started to look around, I asked myself, "If there is a God, why doesn't He ever show up, or even try to fix all this crap?" Naturally, that led me to question if people yammering about God were just talking to hear their heads roar or if they actually believed it.

This mindset kept with me until 2001. September 11, 2001, particularly.

That day, I saw what I hated: the most personal of beliefs, used to kill. Not long after, I found myself renouncing any faith I had, as I knew that such a thing could never happen on the watch of a benevolent being.

I kept my beliefs to myself mostly, which helped, especially when my mother had a mental breakdown on 2003. A fundamentalist Baptist church swooped down and claimed her when that happened, and for some time I dared not declare who I was, for fear of her hating me at their behest. Worse yet, I had no choice but to sit idly by and watch here sink deeper into their hate, fueled by the misery they forced her to stay in by telling her she had to stay with her husband, an asshole of monumental proportions.

New Year's Day, 2005, I moved away from them and settled in Indiana with my girlfriend and her friend, who is now one of the two best friends I have. I brought them to this place, and am now back to make sure I never forget what's important to me: the one life I have.

Welcome! Where in Indiana are you? I'm in Indianapolis... and trust me, you'll want to leave this state as soon as you can. ;)

Welcome! Where in Indiana are you? I'm in Indianapolis... and trust me, you'll want to leave this state as soon as you can. ;)

I'm in the northeast, up around Ft. Wayne.

And trust me, I don't wanna leave, not when I have a job and a life and nowhere else to go.

Exactly - it's not like you live in New Jersey or something, like I do :mellow:

Vulgaris,

9/11 was also a factor for me. The terrorist attacks, I think, polarized people. Some went more fundy, and many, like you and I, deconverted.

Welcome to the group!