Goodbye Jesus

Money Can't Buy Smarts

The Sage Nabooru

John, are you told you're inspiring often?

I've got the "save like a meiser" bit down--through a combination of my own personality and my parents' wise raising I'm quite possibly the most fiscally conservative member of my family. I had to quit my job at Domino's when I moved from Heber back to Tooele. I had just over $2k saved up; a month later I'm sitting on nearly $1500--a large majority of that loss being attributable to my new monitor (the only toy I'll allow myself for at least the rest of the year) and some new riding gear for my emergency trip to Vernal last week. I've still got a long way to go--have yet to find a job (the market out here is hell), need to buy a car for the upcoming winter, need to at least compose a rough mental budget factoring in school costs--but I'm confident I can do it, and stories like your own reinforce that.

I'm curious if anyone can tell me how much more difficult it's going to be to take up residency (and eventual citizenship) in another country without a degree. I've heard getting a work visa without legitimate certification of higher education is all but impossible--to quote my brother "they won't even give you a visa to wash dishes without a degree." Given my rather keen interest in Life Outside These United States, it seems in my best interest to know how much of an impact this may/will have on my efforts.

I'm curious if anyone can tell me how much more difficult it's going to be to take up residency (and eventual citizenship) in another country without a degree.

Depends on the country and what you are willing to do. Most English speaking countries are going to be out of reach for you without a degree. Teaching English should be wide open for you in a large number of non-English speaking nations. Japan, Korea, and Saudi are definately out without a degree, but you can make it in Italy and quite a few other places without one if you are willing to lie (Many employers won't check).

Your hopes of getting a work permit other than permission to teach is virtually nil. If you wish to emigrate, you need to find another way to make money. Again, internet business should be high on your list of places to start.

Also, this guy, who lives in Venezuela, has some interesting ideas about how to start a business on his island. Most of these ideas would work in other places as well: http://www.retirecaribbean.com/id13.html

Instead of getting a business degree (read, permision to be a slave) so that you can give your best years to some Multi-National-Corporation as an 80hr/week middle manager, start a business. If you can read, add, and subtract you can find out everything you need to know as you go along. What do you do in college? You read books. You don't need to pay someone for permision to do that. Of course you won't get your $50,000+ permision to be a slave, but screw 'em.

Gad, I wish I were young and sane!

I'm just twiddling my thumbs, waiting for the submissive dumbass slaves of corporate America to wise the fuck up.

I have a clerical job where I do Accounts Payables all day. It's really not hard. I punch a time-clock. Anything over 40 hours a week is overtime which I get paid time and a half for. If I were to bid for overtime on Sunday....that would be paid double-time.....but I don't need to do that, because I get paid plenty for what I do. Made over 50,000 last year. When I punch out....I'm done.....the only way work can call me back in is if they start at the top of the seniority list and work their way down it. My job is protected. I have benefits and I'm earning pension. Started a 401K the beginning of this year. If management breaks contract with me, they can get in BIG trouble. No they cannot really screw me over, and they can't just hand me a pink slip either (have to piss on the bosses desk just to get the disciplinary process started).

Union.

It's not a bad word.

I look at folks in other places scurring about like rats in a maze trying to bust their ass on salary (so anything over 40 hours = free labor), and choke down lunch in the half hour they are allowed (I get 1 full hour), and all the while stressing and going crazy because word around the office is that some number of people are going to be let go, in a world where people are not people but "resources".

I keep waiting for folks to wise up. Surely there will be a sudden upswell of workers voting to Unionize eventually....when they get sick of being treated like dogshit.

Hasn't happened yet though.

:clap::clap::clap:

Absolutely fuckin right. I'll finish my thought tonight....