Ex-christian.net Member Claims Gay-bashing "insignificant"

Guest rrcanna

Guest rrcanna

Violence against gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and the transgendered

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Violence against lesbians, gays, bisexuals, and transgendered (LGBT), sometimes called hate crimes can occur either at the hands of individuals or groups, or as part of governmental enforcement of laws targeting people who are seen to violate heteronormative rules. People who are merely perceived to be LGBT (but who are actually not) may also be targeted.

Anti-LGBT violence can include threats, physical assault, battery, sexual assault, rape, torture, attempted murder, or murder. These actions may be caused by cultural, religious, or political mores and biases, though the extent to which these groups influence violence against LGBT individuals is an ongoing matter of debate.

Statistics

In the United States, the FBI reported that 15.6% of hate crimes reported to police in 2004 were based on perceived sexual orientation. 61% of these attacks were against gay men, 14% against lesbians, 2% against heterosexuals and 1% against bisexuals, while attacks against GLB people at large made up 20%. Violence based on perceived gender identity was not recorded in the report.

Individual violence

Individuals, singly or in groups, have at times taken it upon themselves (usually flouting the law) to repress those alleged to manifest variant sexual behavior. In some legal jurisdictions in the United States, these acts may be legally classified as hate crimes, which increases the resulting penalty if convicted.

Some notable incidents of hate-related assaults include:

* Tennessee Williams was the victim of an assault in January 1979 in Key West, being beaten by five teenage boys, but he was not seriously injured. The episode was part of a spate of anti-gay violence inspired by an anti-gay newspaper ad run by a local Baptist minister.

* The fatal stabbing of James Zappalorti, a gay Vietnam veteran (1945 – 1990)

* The rape and later murder of Brandon Teena, a transsexual man (1972 – 1993)

* The beating death of Matthew Shepard, a gay student (1976 – 1998)

* The murder of Pfc Barry Winchell 1999. He was engaged to Calpernia Addams, a transgendered author.

* The bombing of the Admiral Duncan pub by David Copeland in 1999

* The fatal beating of gay teenager Jeff Whittington in Wellington, New Zealand on May 8, 1999.

* One notorious incident of gay-bashing occurred on September 22, 2000. Ronald Gay entered a gay bar in Roanoke, Virginia and opened fire on the patrons, killing Danny Overstreet and injuring six others. Ronald said he was angry over what his name now meant, and deeply upset that three of his sons had changed their surname. He claimed that he had been told by God to find and kill lesbians and gay men, describing himself as a "Christian Soldier working for my Lord".

* The non-fatal stabbing of Bertrand Delanoë, a gay politician, Mayor of Paris, France, in 2002

* The killing of Gwen Araujo, a transsexual woman (1985 – 2002)

* The killing of Paul Broussard, a Houston-area banker (1968-1991)

* The beating death of Charlie Howard in 1984.

* Aaron Webster, a gay man in Vancouver, British Columbia, was beaten to death in Stanley Park in 2001.

* On February 2, 2006, 18 year-old Jacob D. Robida allegedly entered a bar in New Bedford, Massachusetts, confirmed that it was a gay bar, and then attacked patrons with a gun and a hatchet, wounding at least three.

As the process of identifying non-heterosexual traits is often sloppy, violence has been committed against heterosexuals who are merely perceived to be gay. Prominent incidents include:

* Actor and comedian Norm MacDonald (of Saturday Night Live) was attacked by two men in New York City. They thought he was a gay man because he was well-dressed, with styled hair, and lanky; he was walking through Greenwich Village, a center of the city's gay community. He suffered a concussion.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who? Give me some time with this. Wikipedia is blocked in China ;) If you check the post in question (under Unhijackable Thread), I merely asked for some data to back up the extraordinary claim that homosexuals are an oppressed group. Data is what I got. Now please allow me to prepare some counterdata.

From www.nssl.noaa.gov

NOAA Technical Memorandum NWS SR-193

LIGHTNING FATALITIES, INJURIES, AND DAMAGE REPORTS

IN THE UNITED STATES FROM 1959-1994

E. Brian Curran

National Weather Service Forecast Office

Fort Worth, TX

Ronald L. Holle

Ra�l E. L�pez

National Severe Storms Laboratory

Norman, OK

Scientific Services Division

Southern Region Fort Worth, TX

October 1997

ABSTRACT

Lightning-related fatality, injury, and damage reports in the US were summarized for 36 years since 1959, based on the NOAA publication Storm Data. There were 3239 deaths, 9818 injuries, and 19,814 property-damage reports from lightning during this period. The number of lightning-caused casualty and damage events was less variable from year to year than other weather causes. For this reason, lightning is the most constant and widespread threat to people and property during the thunderstorm season.

By state, Florida led the nation in the actual number of deaths and injuries, while the largest number of damage reports came from Pennsylvania. There were large variations among decades in casualties and damages. When population was taken into account, New Mexico (all decades) and Wyoming (mainly in the 1960s and 1970s) led the nation in death, injury, and casualty rates. High casualty rates tended to be in Florida, the Rocky Mountains, plains, southeast, and New England. The highest rates of population-weighted damage reports were on the plains.

By month, all types of lightning reports in Storm Data reached maxima during July. Damage reports were spread more evenly through the year than were casualties. Casualties and damages in northern regions of the US had narrower distributions centered on summer than southern regions.

Within the day, two-thirds of the casualties occurred between noon and 6 p.m. There were relatively frequent damage reports during the night in the plains and midwest states. In winter, the afternoon peak disappeared for damage reports and was weak for casualties. Casualties were most frequent on Sunday, the next most common day was Saturday, then Wednesday. Damage reports were most frequent on Monday, then decreased on nearly every day until reaching the lowest number on Saturday.

Most incidents involved one person. For incidents involving deaths only, 91% of the cases had one fatality, while another 8% of the events had two people killed in the same incident. For incidents involving injuries only, 68% of the cases had one injury; casualties clustered nearly the same as injuries. Males were killed by lightning 5.6 times as often as females, and were 4.9 times as likely to be injured as females.

The digital Storm Data listing of the locations of victims is not very precise. Of the known locations, recreation was the largest category in every region and in the US. The next largest group involved people located under trees, and the next was related to the proximity to bodies of water. The remaining categories involving small numbers of people were golfers, people involved in agricultural activities, telephones users, and people in proximity to radios and antennas.

Half of all lightning-caused damage costs were between $5,000 and $50,000 according to Storm Data. Comparison with other datasets shows that Storm Data entries tend to include more expensive widely-known events and to exclude most of the small losses.

1. INTRODUCTION

This report summarizes casualties and damages from lightning in the United States. The information comes entirely from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) publication Storm Data. Features of the national distribution of lightning-caused casualties have been summarized in a variety of ways in previous publications that will be referenced in this paper. These studies include Zegel (1967), Weigel (1976), Mogil et al. (1977), Vigansky (1985), Duclos and Sanderson (1990), Duclos et al. (1990), and L�pez and Holle (1995, 1996). Studies have also been made of lightning casualties and damages in Michigan (Ferrett and Ojala, 1992), central Florida (Holle et al., 1992), Colorado (L�pez et al., 1995), and Rocky Mountain states (Holle et al., 1996).

Short summaries of weather impacts based on Storm Data have been published each year since 1990 by the Office of Meteorology in NOAA's National Weather Service. From the 1992 to 1994 summaries, Table 1 shows the average number of deaths in the United States due to four categories of thunderstorm-related weather events. During this three-year period, lightning caused 44% of the fatalities, 19% of the injuries, and 3% of the damages for all convective-weather reports in Storm Data. Absolute values of these numbers must be considered with caution, for reasons given in the next chapter.

When all types of weather-related casualties are examined, Table 2 shows that lightning remains near the top of the list; only flash floods and river floods combined rank higher than lightning in terms of deaths. There is a substantial number of lightning victims and damages every year. Lightning entries have the least year-to-year variability of all convective-weather causes in Table 1, and less variability than nearly all other phenomena in Table 2. The result is that the vulnerability to lightning is a constant and widespread threat to people and property during every thunderstorm season. A somewhat similar study by Dittmann (1994) used Storm Data to examine state-by-state flood deaths from 1959-1991.

The need for the current study and other recent examinations of lightning victims was emphasized by Emanuel et al. (1995) who stated: "We believe that it is time to perform an analysis of the type of electrical storms that kill people" (page 1201).

It should be mentioned that a renewed interest in medical issues concerning lightning casualties has occurred. Recent publications on lightning-related deaths and injuries include a book by Andrews et al. (1992), two 1995 issues of Seminars in Neurology, and numerous articles such as those by Cherington (1995), Cooper (1995), and Cooper and Andrews (1995).

TABLE 1. Annual averages of casualties and property damage due to convective weather (thunderstorms) during 1992-1994 (from National Weather Service, Office of Meteorology). Order is by number of deaths per year. Convective

weather type Fatalities Injuries Damage ($millions)

Lightning 51 345 32

Tornadoes 47 1114 551

Thunderstorm wind 18 352 192

Hail 0 21 345

TABLE 2. Summary of 1994 weather casualties, and 30-year normals (from National Weather Service, Office of Meteorology). Order is by 30-year death rate, then by 1994 deaths. Weather 1994 deaths 1994 injuries Deaths per year

Flash flood 59 33 139

River flood 32 14

Lightning 69 484 87

Tornado 69 1067 82

Hurricane 9 45 27

Extreme temperatures 81 298

Winter weather 31 2690

Thunderstorm wind 17 315

Other high wind 12 61

Fog 3 99

Other 6 59

Total 388 5165

Here we can see the loss and suffering, alone with property loss and injury, caused by fatalities by lightning (ok I finally learned how to spell the word) strikes clearly pose a significant threat to society. On average 87 people die per year as a result of lightning strikes in the USA alone.

LIGHTNING FATALITIES, INJURIES, AND DAMAGE REPORTS

IN THE UNITED STATES FROM 1959-1994

Do your statistics have anything in the way of absolute figures due to violence against gays, such as deaths per year, injuries, and property loss?

From www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov

Lightning Strike and Electric Shock Survivors, International, (LSESSI) is a support group for survivors of lightning and electrical injury, their friends and families. The group provides information and support to survivors, their families and their physicians about the consequences of the injury and how to deal with it. They also have written materials. You can email the group at lightnin@nternet.net; phone 910-346-4708.

Name Location/Activity When Struck Medical Impacts

Julie Struck unloading her store's truck Memory loss.

Jennifer Hit inside on cordless phone Numbness, cold, temporary lower body paralysis. Recovering slowly.

Dave Struck by lightning while out fishing Burns on 60% of his body. Recovered over long period.

Mike

Struck by lightning on a Cape Cod golf course.

Completely paralyzed. Steadily recovering and resuming normal life.

Cheryl Home, calling husband on home telephone to warn him about the coming storm. Petit mal seizures

David 911 Medical Dispatcher on duty in southern Florida Severe headaches, deafness, short and long term memory loss, and insomnia

Todd Inside his garage, repairing the exhaust system of his car Burns, chronic pain, and short-term memory loss

Robert Returning home from ice fishing on Moosehead Lake in Maine Memory loss, joint pain, and headaches

Doug and Susan Hiking near Greer, Arizona Doug: Both eardrums broken put should repair themselves/

Susan: Spider web tracks across stomach and side

For more information on lightning survivors, contact LSESSI above or Dr. Mary Ann Cooper. If you have a lightning survivor story you'd like to share, please email us

This thread is rather hard to follow...I take it that rrcanna is ranting about some comment on a christian forum. Not really sure where Huai is going w/ his comments, but here are my thoughts.

I dare any man to come walk hand in hand w/ me on the street, even in San Francisco, and just wait for the "faggot die" comments to commence.

I've been spat on while walking on the street (alone) and called "faggot-queer-you make me sick" by some young woman, I've been bullied at school and threatened w/ getting beaten up just because I was perceived to be a homo. And the list goes on and on.

My partner and I were driving our motorcycle just last month and two dudes in a very nice black pickup truck gratuitously yelled "faggots" at us.

I don't need stats to know that homos in the US are routinely "kept in our places" by threats of violence and voting box intimidation.

It changes you forever to be threatened like this. Just my 2 freakin' cents.

I don't need anyone's "Political Correctness" to be sensitive to me. Just treat me like you'd treat any one else.

Any straight person who wants to know what it's like, just imagine every time you want to hold hands with your other half, and then decide not to, because you don't want to incite a violent confrontation.

Thanks for the info rrcanna. I get your point. And it's well taken by someone from the freakin' trenches in all of this.

Friendly tip; R, you may want to provide a link to the offending comment next time so the rest of us can get an idea of what the hell you're talking about. As it is you seem to just be wildly overreacting (whether or not you are I can't say, that's simply the initial impression most of us seem to be getting here).

Also, I don't know how much weight surveys and stats are going to carry in a discussion such as this (I'll abstain from poking fun at you for citing so many sources ;) ).

That said... I gotta' agree with Asimov and Skankboy.

Rrcanna,

Instead of shouting a war Cry at HuaiDan for his query, perhaps you could see it as a ray of hope instead?

When someone asks....does this really still happen? It's not entirely a bad thing! It mean that person does NOT see in their daily life, what you are talking about. It doesn't really happen in their area. So instead of getting pissed and all up on the high horse....see it from a different perspective.....gee, there's somewhere in the world where homosexual people are not being oppressed! Yay!

And you could have simply answered HuaiDan's question without feeling the need to bitch-smack him too. :Hmm:

I wish I could say gay people are free and unoppressed where I live, but that is not true. One of my house-mates is gay, and he's had quite a few close calls to getting his ass kicked by pissy ignorant northern rednecks.

This thread is rather hard to follow...I take it that rrcanna is ranting about some comment on a christian forum. Not really sure where Huai is going w/ his comments, but here are my thoughts.

I dare any man to come walk hand in hand w/ me on the street, even in San Francisco, and just wait for the "faggot die" comments to commence.

I've been spat on while walking on the street (alone) and called "faggot-queer-you make me sick" by some young woman, I've been bullied at school and threatened w/ getting beaten up just because I was perceived to be a homo. And the list goes on and on.

My partner and I were driving our motorcycle just last month and two dudes in a very nice black pickup truck gratuitously yelled "faggots" at us.

I don't need stats to know that homos in the US are routinely "kept in our places" by threats of violence and voting box intimidation.

It changes you forever to be threatened like this. Just my 2 freakin' cents.

I don't need anyone's "Political Correctness" to be sensitive to me. Just treat me like you'd treat any one else.

Any straight person who wants to know what it's like, just imagine every time you want to hold hands with your other half, and then decide not to, because you don't want to incite a violent confrontation.

Thanks for the info rrcanna. I get your point. And it's well taken by someone from the freakin' trenches in all of this.

I agree. Unless it is a totally gay establishment I don't think I would ever show public affection(even something as insignificant as holding hands) with my boyfriend.

People are so goddamn ignorant. And it seems like being gay is the last bastion of bigotry that is acceptable.

Just seeing two people of the same sex showing affection brings out the beast in many bigoted people.

...Unless it is a totally gay establishment I don't think I would ever show public affection(even something as insignificant as holding hands) with my boyfriend. ...

Thanks for the "amen" from the choirloft...hehehehehe.

Hey, I don't want to be just flaming everyone, but whenever I hear the attitude, "oh I wish you queers would just shut the f*** up and take it" makes my blood boil. Sorry for the flame (sorta).

Hey rrcanna, I wish I still had your fire, dude.

I'm in my 40s now and I'm sorta getting tired of the culture wars. What happens to lots of well meaning straights is that they get tired of bearing the guilt burden for "all heteros for all time" sort of thing, and finally just want it to all go away. Understandable, particularly when this stuff is couched in seriously annoying "politically correct" sorts of lingo. Doesn't do the cause of gay lib any good IMHO.

But hearing from everyone about their experiences does help, I think. Hey, I'm not a straight dude trying to make it in a very different world than my dad was brought up in, but I still want to hear their frustrations, too.

....With the combination of Murder and AIDS, I have seen the deaths of many who were also in this fight. The 21st Century is baffling to an old hippy like me. I am speaking of attitudes, not technology."

Me too, sigh. So many friends gone. Men and women, down for the count from HIV, coke, crystal, violence.

"I am not a bona-fide homosexual, but I had many flings in my youth..."

sometimes our memories create a new Right Here and Now. :)

"What is additionally puzzling for me at this site, is the fact that everyone here claims to be Ex-Christian, but some of them retain certain Christian attitudes, especially concerning gay people..."

It's also culturally driven. Often convos here get real hot, and it's best to step back, breath a bit, and realize that others are coming from another world. Even at my most flaming (like above) I hope I don't alienate anyone from saying, "Hey Curtdude, you're totally full of crap" and then give me some good reasons why. That's why I stick to my own personal experiences. No one can ever take that from me. I can quote stats till the cows come home, but my own life will always speak for itself.

I've also found this site to be surprisingly full of bisexuals. Check out the "what's your orientation" thread in the Sex section of the site. Full blown Kinsey rate-1 heteros might be the majority, but not the overwhelming one.

What is additionally puzzling for me at this site, is the fact that everyone here claims to be Ex-Christian,

Actually that's not necessarily true.

but some of them retain certain Christian attitudes, especially concerning gay people. I think they just don't recognize all the baggage they're still carrying around. This is only true of a few people, but you can see it clearly if you have eyes to see.

Well, brainwashing can take many forms. I know lots of conservative, homophobic, misogynist atheists too. Bigotry is a human trait not a christian one.

But have no fear, this is a gay friendly site overall, and we routinely smack down homophobes here.

What is additionally puzzling for me at this site, is the fact that everyone here claims to be Ex-Christian, but some of them retain certain Christian attitudes, especially concerning gay people. I think they just don't recognize all the baggage they're still carrying around. This is only true of a few people, but you can see it clearly if you have eyes to see.

Ah, but there's the thing. 'Ex-Christian' doesn't mean everyone is suddenly totally open-minded and "perfect".

Remember how christians would say: "We aren't perfect, just forgiven." as their little bypass for their personal biases and un-christian behavior?

Well all an Ex-Christian can say is: "I'm not fucking perfect, neither the fuck are you, so let's all strive to work on it together. Pass the pancakes."

Which is definitely more honest I think, but even such willingness to work on ones personal biases falters here and there. You can't kick all the preconcieved notions all at once. Baby-steps baby-steps. No one is perfect. We can only improve to a point that a majority of people can come to find us unobjectionable, and for us to feel objection-less as much as possible in turn.

My gay house-mate is highly biased against women. He finds pussy utterly revolting. Now while I understand the unwillingness to personally partake....is it really fair and right for him to treat a body part, and by extension the owner of said body part with such contempt? Some lesbians do that to cock too. Now, as a straight woman, let's say I'm in a co-ed locker room (wishful thinking). If I fully understand it to be a co-ed room.....and there are various people of both sexes in the room all changing, showering and whatnot.

Now while I might find a particular feature undesireable on one person, doesn't mean I would generalize that sensation to a total hatred of that feature across the board affecting all who possess it. Heck, for all I know the next person to come into the room will have some quality about that feature that I will really like.

I don't like or appreciate the "dead fish" slams from gay men any more than straight men like hearing lesbians demonize cock. And of course, gay people hate hearing the slams and insults from straight people too. So until everyone can agree to curb the shit, we're not going to see that much progress as a society as a whole.

....So until everyone can agree to curb the shit, we're not going to see that much progress as a society as a whole.

I could not have said this better myself. :17: You're flyin' high today, wraven.

Hey LloydD, it's always good to hear your 2cents...you're one of the rockinest dudes on this site. I've learned mucho from your wise counsel.

Thanks for your thoughtful and sensible posts, but you cool people certainly take your time, don't you? I mean, I had to get slapped silly before you showed up. :vent:

I'm at work. Checking the Ex-C in the brief "in-betweens".

Gee, hope I'm one of the cool people. :mellow:

Feh! Of COURSE I am! :HaHa:

Good grief.

Can we at least agree gay-bashing is wrong? Good!

Now let's say that although reported violent acts against gays may seem statistically insignificant compared to, say, lawnmowing injuries, they probably don't seem insignificant at all to the victims. And finally, let us admit that homophobia is rampant in our culture, and not all maltreatment is of the violent variety, but it is all bad.

Let's agree on this to some extent, save face and move on. Damn heat wave is turning us into drama queens around here. No gay-bashing intended. :grin:

.... No gay-bashing intended. :grin:

Hey will you go out w/ me now? hahahahaha!

That depends: do you wear my size? If I'm going to turn gay, I might as well double my wardrobe! :HaHa:

How did you find out I have a BFA in Theatre? :scratch:

Hmm...is that a Bachelor of Fine Arts?

or a Big Fuckin' Award?

That depends: do you wear my size? If I'm going to turn gay, I might as well double my wardrobe! :HaHa:

Hey r-baby, The Homo Secret is Out! We're actually just really cheap breeders who want to cut the rent, drive cool cars, tell chicks we're "sensitive" and then nail 'em. :HaHa:

Okay, the stats: 33-34 pants, 15.5 neck/35"arm, medium undies. Even more importantly, what kind of car do you drive? And can you cook? My current pard is Mr.Frenchy, so you're gonna have to spin the spatula pretty damned good!

My, now you know more than my mom. :P

Can anyone tell that it's a slow day at the office for me? I haven't posted this much for months (yeah, I can hear the "oh great, the cocky know-it-all from SF is back" comments already).

Hey Zoe,

I liked your post, and I'll comment on the stuff that I believe pertains to me:

....As long as you take every wrong done to every gay person upon yourself personally, as long as you make THEIR victimhood YOURS, you will be oppressed. If you live in an area where you cannot openly be who you are, then move somewhere else. Don't expect “laws” to protect you or a parade to change human nature. It's easier to change your own circumstances, then the minds and hearts of everyone around you, also a side benefit, it's less likely to produce that pesky martyrdom.

Flatly, I do not look at myself as a victim, and chatting about real life experiences on a public ex-c forum about those experiences is not IMO making me oppressed. It's called talking it up with others who understand you. Does that mean that we, as apostates, need to just "get over it" and "move on" as so many TrueBelievin' christians are constantly harping at us to do? Maybe we gay folks DO have feelings about this stuff that come up and it's helpful to chat about. Being physically threatened is a hard thing to get over, and if that smacks of victimhood to you, perhaps my ability to communicate well in writing is at fault.

You suggest moving to a more "open" area; I live in SF and let me tell you, outside of the three blocks of the Castro, you hold hands w/ a same sex partner, you are fair game for violence or at least threats. I don't expect laws to protect me; but nothing will change if I just sit back and say nada. There is NO SAFE PLACE for homos in this world -- I know that, I don't whine about it, but it's just reality.

....When choosing to be public about who you are, and totally baldly, nakedly honest about yourself, you have to determine WHY you are doing that....

I want to be affectionate w/ my partner because I love him. I don't do it for political reasons. It's called being normal. Why do I have to analyze why I want to be affectionate w/ someone I've spent the last nine years with?

I don't believe that I'm playing the martyr at all here...I've joked about my experiences, and I try to spin what folks say in a positive way. I brought up my experiences only to bring some real life to the thread's topic, particularly since rrcanna had been citing lots of stats and Hunai was questioning him about it. At least that's what I understood.

The reason this topic is recurring all over the place is because society is in flux on the whole subject of homosexuality.

I don't think it's possible for a straight person to truely understand what it's like to be gay in our society. It's not up to straight persons to decide or view or guess whether gays are discriminated against or oppressed. It's up to the people who are gay to decide that. They are the ones living it.

I, as a straight person, can say that gays are not descriminated against or oppressed, but how do I know that? Is it because I have gay friends and I've never seen them oppressed or descriminated against, but I haven't lived their life. How, is it possible, that I can speak for someone else when it's never been my experience to be gay?

For what it's worth, some of my young students ended up being very bigoted on this one issue, and they're American racial minorities! You'd think someone in a racial minority (in the USA context) would be more cognizant of this sort of thing, but I guess not.

Both of these (not very attractive) boys were utterly, utterly paranoid that some gay guy was going to look at them. I let them know in uncertain terms that many gay men are incredibly picky about who they choose.

Eventually we got to the point where they were just able to say "I don't want them to be gay around me," rather than "I hate them!"

-Seth

heh. at least that's some improvement.

some people just aren't equipped to give more.

Which is true. But it does bring up an interesting philosophical point.

What IS "being gay?"

If I were gay, would I be right to demand those around me not "act straight," whatever that means?

-Seth