Goodbye Jesus

Ever Been Kicked Out?

leftofpunk

Was anyone here kicked out of thier christian home due to leaving christianity or becoming atheist?

No, I'm looking for stories of that happening to someone. I'm writing a movie about a guy's deconversion from christianity to atheist and I wanna use true events so I can't get a backlash of peopel telling me some event was too extreme to ever happen.

I wasn't raised in a home where it was shoved down my throat (too much) so I had a fairly easy conversion.

My counsellor knows a woman whose 15-year-old son left home b/c he was forced to go to church. He hasn't been heard from since. Not sure if that's quite what you're looking for, though.

We have had some people on here who deconverted and their marriages fell apart because their spouse remained a Christian.

• 2 weeks later...

i was never kicked out either... but i didn't deconvert until college. as far as my parents go, my mom is still the religious one but my dad quit caring about 12 years ago when his father died horribly of lung cancer. so for me it was easy with the family, because i'm not at all close with the rest of them (who only wear christianity as a veneer anyway).

when i was in college, i knew alot of people who got "cut off" financially from their Christian parents when they quit going to church or when they challenged their parents' beliefs. that's the worst I usually saw.

i had one friend, though, who told me about how he got into a slap fight with his mom when he was 17... she started hitting him and stratching his face up and then she called the cops and had him arrested for domestic violence. my friend's fall from christianity was an issue in that fight, well, other than the fact that him mom was a serious bitch who was looking to ream him on just about anything.

Ironically, I was kicked out my father's house for going to church. He was a nutcase Jehovah's Witness who thought anyone who wasn't one was evil. It didn't matter he was never a father to me beforehand and I was raised by my mother (I had to moved in his house when I was 20 due to my mother's marriage problems). Nor did it matter I was a good kid who never got in trouble, was putting myself through college and never partied, drinked or even cursed. Oh nooo!

The fact I was a member of a church was enough to be branded as the cause of all his personal and family problems and I was scapegoated for his drug relapse that happened while I was there. And of course, surely god wasn't going to bless his household with some evil church-goer like me there. The big bastard. :vent:

Isn't doing drugs against JW?

Some people can't solve their problems, because for some reason they can't look into mirrors.

Was anyone here kicked out of thier christian home due to leaving christianity or becoming atheist?

This is a very complex question for me. But I do know of teenaged boys who were kicked out of their homes for leaving the church.

I'm from a horse and buggy community similar to the Amish. So were they. I got crowded out of the church as a middle-aged adult. My family did not excommunicate me--oh no! that would have been too merciful.

Was anyone here kicked out of their christian home due to leaving christianity or becoming atheist?

Some polygamist christian groups will kick their children out of the home for minor reasons. I don't know if any of them were kicked out specifically for losing their faith.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Boys_of_Polygamy

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=...ygamy+lost+boys

A cousin of mine was kicked out for not converting to be a jehova's witness with the immediate family. She was 18-ish, and was taken in by other family (only that couple and their kids ever became jw)

I don't know anyone who has been kicked out due to leaving Christianity, but I do know quite a few people who have wanted to run away due to their parents' reactions and such.

I don't know anyone who has been kicked out due to leaving Christianity, but I do know quite a few people who have wanted to run away due to their parents' reactions and such.

Wow! Thanks for sharing this. People always ask if I have any contact with family. What they mean is have I been kicked out. The answer is no, my family refuse to do that. Which means the line is terribly confusing. I've had to set some very stringent boundaries, even/esp. with my aging and elderly mother. Some people take an unkindly view of this. Without knowing (or believing) any details they will tell me stuff like, "Oh but you have to stay in contact with your family!?!?"

Relationships before I left were unbearable. They've just gotten another degree of twistedness now. On the surface they seem more respectful and accepting but there's something absolutely deadly just beneath the surface. It's hard to put my finger on it. After a pleasant visit of my sisters at Christmas I felt like I had to purify my place before I could feel "at home" again.

Earlier this year I had some OOM friends over who had been very understanding and supportive of me when I was leaving. They left a year ago for car Mennonites. I would have loved to hear about their experience. Not a word did they speak about it unless I asked direct questions, and then only the most abbreviated answers possible were given. I did not understand until much later.

Finally, I remembered a conversation with one of them last fall in which I was asked what church I go to. When I said I haven't been to church in a long time there was a gasp at the other end of the line. It was not possible to get conversation going again. She said something about not realizing I was that far gone. Not her words but her meaning.

I guess they must have agreed before visiting me that they would speak absolutely nothing related to religion. They asked what I was studying. I explained what theology course I was taking. They would not comment at all.

Thus, there is more than one way of being "kicked out."

I have a teenage friend on another board who's parents are threatening him with institutionalization!

Of course, he deconverted into Satanism. It's that intellectual version of Satanism, though, where he doesn't even really believe in the Devil, but thinks if there is any truth to it at all, God is actually the evil one.

But because he labels himself as a Satanist, they want him locked up.

Poor kid.

i had one friend, though, who told me about how he got into a slap fight with his mom when he was 17... she started hitting him and stratching his face up and then she called the cops and had him arrested for domestic violence

*shakes head in disgrace* Now, that's just wrong. :ugh:

My fiancee's parents threw her a beating, they screamed and they yelled for hours.

My fiancee's parents threw her a beating, they screamed and they yelled for hours.

:( That's awful.

At the time it seemed horrible, but the universe works on a set of balances(I believe).

Her parent's felt no remorse or shame when they harmed her that night, and in return six months later her father was diagnosed with lung cancer. He died earlier this month.

The exchange here is that once they would not even let us see each other, they were forced by necessity to allow me to stay here during Mr. O's last few months. I was compassionate to a point, but now that what I came here to do is done I find that my reasons for staying are dwindling (I have a psycho mom, I swear to god I do).

Now her mother is getting a crash course in civility and tolerance.

No, I just got grounded from my computer and wasnt able to post here for a while. Now I'm 18 and I'll go to whatever website I want.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm forced for financial reasons to live with my fundi parents, and they've repeatedly told me that if I ever decide I want to quit church, I might as well pack my bags.

Ain't Christian love great?

Never been kicked out, but I know that if my dad ever found out, he'd forbid me from ever coming home for a visit again.