The Coolest Thing...

Ro-bear

Today was the day the students come in and pick up their schedules, try to find their classrooms, introduce themselves to or totally avoid their new teachers, try to get schedule changes, parking tags, yearbook pictures, etc. My job consists of composing or updating my syllabi, gathering class sets of textbooks, preparing the classroom, etc.

On this day, which is named for the school mascot, I often see former students. They shyly peek in and say hello, and I smile broadly and invite them in. Sometimes they come in threes and fours, groups of buddies who have been together since daycare days. They invariably go straight to their assigned seats. It's odd; they complain all term about their assigned seats, but years later they want them back. They recall classroom incidents, lessons, jokes; it's amazing what they remember. For them, it's like revisiting a past life. For me it was like yesterday.

I used to think they only came by because they had to drive a younger sibling to E____ Day. Not so! It seems that the whole community knows when E____ Day is, so any young adults hanging out with nothing to do have the option of dropping in on their old teachers. I get quite a few each year. You might think it's only the good kids, but you would be wrong. It's a good mix. Today I was at my computer when a huge shadow fell over me. "I must be in Hell, 'cause right there's the devil!" Good ol' Josh C., 300 lbs. of hellraiser. He is studying to be a history teacher now.

Earlier, Emily S. and Breanne B. dropped by. Quiet, studious girls in my class, but now confident young women, sitting in their assigned seats and recalling lessons I had long forgotten.

This is why I think about when my job sucks, as it sometimes does. This is one of the reasons why I come back every August and go to work with a cheerful whistle, wondering what my 80 new friends are going to be like. Each class has a personality of its own; somehow the component personalities all merge into a symphonic persona that is all, and none, of its constituents.

My summer vacation is over, and that is bittersweet. But once they enter my room, find and take their assigned seats with murmurs and groans, and look at me with aspects ranging from expectant to challenging to indifferent, it's all sweet. They are mine, and I am going to take them places they never knew existed. And they are going to remind me what it is to be young.

I am a lucky, lucky man.

Thats one damn fine story amigo.. Thanks for posting, good to see that some good comes from the efforts expended, care given.

kFL

Your a teacher Ro_bear? How awesome!! What subject do you teach?

English, with a focus on American literature for the juniors, British for the seniors.

Thats one damn fine story amigo.. Thanks for posting, good to see that some good comes from the efforts expended, care given.

kFL

Thanks, nivek; there are some real non-monetary benefits to the job: job satisfaction, time for family, and what promises to be very good attendance at my funeral. It will probably be the only secular ceremony most of these folks will ever witness.

....I am a lucky, lucky man.

That you are. Cool thoughts. Stay away from the yellow jackets. :)

Still freakin' itches.

Ro - great story, and one I needed right now.

Our school started back today. Since I've become an administrator, I really miss those interactions with the students. I still see some of my former students, but those encounters are getting fewer and farther between.

I'm in charge of all technology for our district, so my first day of school was spent getting blamed for any failure of any piece of equipment that might have an electrical current running through it. After reading your story, I think it's much easier to deal with kids than with adults.

Ro-bear, that was an awesome telling.

Beowulf..definately dealing with the children is easier than the adults. Speaking of technology.. :lmao:

We've been in the school all week, getting the kitchen ready. And the computer. The customer lists..the ordering, the software doesn't work as its supposed to.

Tonight, I help a friend at her school, collecting lunch prepayments, tomorrow night and Saturday morning, my school. I look forward to seeing all the children.

Today, I saw many of the teachers. Hugs are great..the excitement of a new year, the tension of a new year and the need to get it all done...yesterday.

Yep..its gonna be a great year! We're about to cap. First grade is capped. Nearly 1100 students. Forty seven regular classes..

Here's to another school year..and the end of another summer:

:beer:

Lizard, are you sure you're not in my school district?? Our new Food Services Software is the bane of my existence right now.

Its not called WebSmart, is it?

No - It's called FSS - Food Service Solutions.

I love it when software companies give their products names like "WebSmart." It's so easy to twist it into something like "WebNotSoSmart." We had this one program for Special Ed called "Tranquility." You can believe that one came in for abuse!

Lizard, are you sure you're not in my school district?? Our new Food Services Software is the bane of my existence right now.

Its not called WebSmart, is it?

No - It's called FSS - Food Service Solutions.

I love it when software companies give their products names like "WebSmart." It's so easy to twist it into something like "WebNotSoSmart." We had this one program for Special Ed called "Tranquility." You can believe that one came in for abuse!

I looked it up..its very similar to what we use. I have two pages of students not assigned to homerooms, which is a disaster, since we key according to homeroom..

Ordering online has become a nightmare, the system times out, logs off..and then doubles what you order. :twitch:

We are a fairly large district, 63 schools. All are on the same network/mainframe. When the network goes down, everything stops. We can still key lunch, but cannot upload current data, print a single report, nothing else.

To top off the "new and improved" software, the rest of the district was reimaged, all computers, new network stuff and new email...except Nutrition Service computers, within the schools. So, now we are not up to speed, and running different software than the rest.

Today, I discovered that I can't even save a spreadsheet (created in Excel) to CD..("you do not have permission to do that" it says..which means when we do finally get reimaged, my hardwork is down the drain and I will have to create the stupid thing all over again!! :vent:

It does beat the old, old computers we had when I first started..THAT was DOS based (Bon Apetite)..and just awful! But, even that was better than the punch cards from the really old days, lol..