Goodbye Jesus

Why Does God Need Prophets?

All Gods Fail

The ''Tell Me Your Story" thread in the ' Testimonies' forum had a link to NobleSavage's website, and there a question got me thinking:

Seriously, why did God bother? If he wanted a city to repent, why not just tell them himself? Giant flaming letters in the sky above Babylon or Sodom would've gotten his message across. :shrug:

The ''Tell Me Your Story" thread in the ' Testimonies' forum had a link to NobleSavage's website, and there a question got me thinking:

Seriously, why did God bother? If he wanted a city to repent, why not just tell them himself? Giant flaming letters in the sky above Babylon or Sodom would've gotten his message across. :shrug:

Come on'...you can't fool me....gawd doesn't need anything!.....being as its an 'alleged' being & all.

Prophets are created by prophets......or people in the 'prophet' business. I hear it pays well...at least most chruches like to have one on 'call' so to speak...

:HaHa:

No Prophet = No Profit?

Because Shamans and Prophets can see things others can't, things that have great market appeal. If you want a God, you hire someone "different" from others who has market appeal to get the buy-in from your tribe. You can't just ask Joe to do it, because he doesn't see things in "special", unique ways like those with schizophrenia do. Who can challenge such a convincing "other" reality? ("You can't prove it's not true!") People rally around convincing visionaries. Then you get the whole priesthood who has political power and needs to control the "visionaries" and perhaps temper and spin their ideas to the masses they govern so they don't loose control of the society to their "oracle" who eats grasshoppers and runs around naked in the desert in his madness.

So why does God need a prophet? Because it was a convenient system that availed itself to the people who wanted a god, and so the system continued all the way down through the Apostles and other modern day "visionaries" with special ways of looking at things.

The whole idea of prophets is ridiculous. Yaweh can create all of reality, but can't tell us what he wants from us?

God is a big boy - he can speak for himself.

That is, if he really existed... :scratch:

Yeah, but advertising is expensive and takes way too much work. ;)

Because Shamans and Prophets can see things others can't, things that have great market appeal. If you want a God, you hire someone "different" from others who has market appeal to get the buy-in from your tribe. You can't just ask Joe to do it, because he doesn't see things in "special", unique ways like those with schizophrenia do. Who can challenge such a convincing "other" reality? ("You can't prove it's not true!") People rally around convincing visionaries. Then you get the whole priesthood who has political power and needs to control the "visionaries" and perhaps temper and spin their ideas to the masses they govern so they don't loose control of the society to their "oracle" who eats grasshoppers and runs around naked in the desert in his madness.

So why does God need a prophet? Because it was a convenient system that availed itself to the people who wanted a god, and so the system continued all the way down through the Apostles and other modern day "visionaries" with special ways of looking at things.

:)Antlerman, I don't see it quite so pessimistic as you... however, I don't see you all that far off from my thinking either.

I do think that prophets do add a sincere insight of great benefit to the thinking of those days. Yes, then I think someone capitalizes on it to spin it into the agenda they want to accomplish. It takes a critical mind to separate the two, and most are too involved into survival to discern the blurry line that separates the two.

I've once heard that reasonable people use rational thought, therefore progress is made by unreasonable people. Perhaps sometimes progress is made by those that are able to think outside the box? Then, could it be that there is a capitalist person that sees a good marketing tool to progress their own agenda, even if it mostly benefits themself?

Here's something else I wonder about: Why does God need for a certain set of circumstances to exist before Jesus returns to earth? Why do a whole bunch of prophecies have to come to pass beforehand? I mean, he's the great and all-powerful God, right? Surely he can come back whenever he wants to, but noooooo, the prophets say he can't yet.

Silly nonsense.

Well, the great and powerful jesus said he was coming right back so you kind of figure he'd trump any prophets that might have mentioned him. Maybe they're all arguing over the interpretation of the prophecies up in heaven and that's what's holding things up?

mwc

hey amanda! Haven't seen you in forever. I guess we must not really post in the same threads :grin:

:grin:Zoe Grace, Good to see you! Last time I posted with you was on the science threads, I think. I haven't had time lately to engage my brain enough for all that 'scientific' debating... yet we seemed to have been in harmony about theories found at the outer fringes of science. :wicked:

I'm curious to know about your personal "spiritual" beliefs, and if they have prophets/messengers. I like the way you think, although I know that if you do give credibility to any messenger, it isn't going to be a bible ones. :nono: I can see why rational people don't! So, is there some source that you find that is insightful to a way of perceiving things? I like almost all of them, including Atheist ones too. All these leaders/prophets/messengers perpetuating a philosophy seems to have merit to them... except the ones that are fundamentalist and radical in nature.

Here's something else I wonder about: Why does God need for a certain set of circumstances to exist before Jesus returns to earth? Why do a whole bunch of prophecies have to come to pass beforehand? I mean, he's the great and all-powerful God, right? Surely he can come back whenever he wants to, but noooooo, the prophets say he can't yet.

Silly nonsense.

:)Lola Getz, IMO, the myth is suggesting that when "Jesus" comes back, it will be in a corporate body. We will be the many members and his teachings will be in our mind (even if we don't give credit to him as the source).... therefore, him being the head of us, the body. That is why certain things must come to pass so that these all line up. :shrug:

Having said that, IMO, it is those on this site that are far more in line with these teachings than the majority of the ones with the label "Christians". For one thing, look where you see the most reason and compassion. :wicked: