Goodbye Jesus

V For Vendetta

AtheistMommy

Last night we rented this movie (V for Vendetta) and I thought it looked good the first time I saw the preview, but I had no idea. The truth is it hit home. If you haven't seen it, I recommend renting or buying it. This movie is about what happens when the government takes over and rules with a religious iron fist. They go as far as to bash the "godless Americans."

The girl in the movie was the daughter of an activist couple who had been captured and murdered. This is the part that hits home personally. My parents aren't activists, in fact they are the complete opposite of activists. However, I am. The more escalated things get politically, the more I have to choose between the safety of my family and the future for them. I don't want my children to die because of some religious fucker who's ideas are more valuable to him/her than the life of another. Being offended doesn't give you the right to harm my family or anyone else for that matter.

I personally value life. I value my life, I value my children's life, I value the lives of all my family and friends, I value the life of all human beings, animals and plants. Life is sacred, not god, not marriage, LIFE! This is what we all have in common, life. Morality is not given to us by any book. Life existed before all the books ever written. Morality is trial and error. If it hurts another life, it is pretty much immoral, no book needed.

I'm getting tired of fighting. I continue despite this, most likely because I don't have much of a choice. The majority makes it so I must continue fighting or live for them. But what I'd like is some kind of break. Some kind of upraise of Atheists and Christians coming together for a common goal. We really aren't all that different.

And all these new shows with Atheists being put into Christian homes for so many days, just to see if the Atheist can handle it, it's total bull shit!. Every day I go to a Christian house, every day I am nice to my fellow humans, regardless of their religious beliefs. Every night I try to sleep knowing that there are people who want me and my family to die because we don't believe in their god. The bible itself says to kill people like me. And the one woman who made a giant difference for people like me was murdered for her beliefs. Am I afraid? Hell, yes! Why? Because I value life.

Now we have a president who at every chance promotes the Christian god. I know I'm not alone in this when I say, I don't feel respected or represented by our president. He made lots of promises and turned out to be a avid liar. He used the death of thousands to gain popularity with the Christian community. It worked but than it died off and now he's looking for another way. Gas prices are as high as the sky and still people support him. I don't get it.

Where is Osama? Does anyone know? Apparently he should be hired for national intelligence because the man knows how to get under the radar like no one's business. Or maybe he's being hidden by someone we all know. It's one big roller coaster ride and it's so much like this movie, V for Vendetta. Of course history has been known to repeat itself.

One of the quotes from this movie made a lot of sense, it goes, "One man's terrorism is another man's freedom fight." Do we really try and understand why people become terrorists? I hope that most American's understand terrorists are not only from other countries and they come in all nationalities and political ranks. Anyone can be a terrorist.

I'm taking the bumper stickers off my car. I most likely will be closing the shop (Freethought Lingo) soon, mostly because I can't afford to keep it open. I don't get very many sales and so the shop can't even pay for itself let alone make some profit. But I guess nothing lasts forever. Right now I'm at a loss for ideas, all I can think about is how I don't want to die in front of my children because of my lack of belief. Every day I'm faced with either standing up for my rights or staying quiet while the herd passes me by. I'm still torn.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AtheistMommy

• Fweethawt

• woodsmoke

• The Paineful Truth

I've seen this movie too and its really good, I want to get the dvd with all the extras, I don't think anyone's going to die yet but you just never know with the way things are going in this country. Frankly it scares me the fundy direction that its taking especially with the people because religion has always held back human beings and held back progress, and yeah I think Zoe is right you don't always need to start a movement, but you can change how you live your life and maybe not everyone will agree with it but that's okay.

Right now you are taking what is known as the indirect route, getting together in big groups, trying to change other people's minds and affect public policy to defend your 'rights" There are other ways. It's possible that you truly are suited to being an activist if it's what you love, but if you are just doing it because you feel there is no other way, maybe you should re-evaluate that.

You don't have to live in anyone's cage.

Thank you for the book recommendation. Geting together in big groups is not all I do or have done, I'm not really sure why you think that. I actually fight for all rights, not just mine. The problem is that I feel forced to choose which is more important. Which is really hard for me because both are very important.

I've seen this movie too and its really good, I want to get the dvd with all the extras, I don't think anyone's going to die yet but you just never know with the way things are going in this country. Frankly it scares me the fundy direction that its taking especially with the people because religion has always held back human beings and held back progress, and yeah I think Zoe is right you don't always need to start a movement, but you can change how you live your life and maybe not everyone will agree with it but that's okay.

Yes, but I don't see more than two choices here. You either fight back or you stay quiet and go with.

Athiest Mommy, I to witnessed V For Vendetta(I own the DVD too), and it is one of the finest films I've seen in recent years.

Like you this movie resonated with me on a very personal level. After I got finished viewing it I had nightmares.

As a young gay male, in our current political climate, the movie shook me to my very core. I fear persecution based on my sexuality. Afterall, you can turn on any public television station and listen to these scumbag televangelists condemning gays and lesbians to hell. Furthermore, the public is being taught that we only want to recruit their children into our "cause." Now the Christian right is rallying around Mel Gibson, a known anti-semite, simply because he's a Christian. The blatant disregard that this administration has for people who express a different view is chilling.

I can honestly see a situation like V occuring in America. Look how willing people are to sit on their hands and say absolutely nothing. They are willing to give up their freedoms in the name of "safety" from terrorist attacks. This son of a bitch(Dubya)even wants to ratify the constitution simply because two people of the same sex want to get married. It almost feels like a psuedo theocracy. I haven't been alive past my 20's, but I don't ever remember the country being this divided.

And it seems like the Christian right is trying to galvanize all of it's sheep and trample on ANYONE who doesn't share their point of view.

Will it be safe to profess none belief in the Christian god?

Hell yeah that is scary to think...

I highly recommend V to anyone who hasn't seen it...

i am glad someone enjoyed the movie. i renamed it S for Sucks big donkey balls. if you like movies with a bunch of dialog, then you will like it. but i expected an action film, and was dissapointed.

Thank you for the book recommendation. Geting together in big groups is not all I do or have done, I'm not really sure why you think that. I actually fight for all rights, not just mine. The problem is that I feel forced to choose which is more important. Which is really hard for me because both are very important.

I wasn't trying to suggest it was all you'd done. It's admirable that you fight for the rights of those other than yourself. Most people who take up causes only take up causes that directly affect them. You can only spread yourself so thin. There are a billion causes out there. You could hop on every one of them, but how effective will you be on all of them?

Yes, but I don't see more than two choices here. You either fight back or you stay quiet and go with.

Those might be the only choices for you, if you feel it necessary to fight for everybody else's "rights." (I put rights in quotes because I"m not sure I really believe in rights. I'm not sure i believe anyone is entitled to anything by virtue of their existence. And i'm not sure i believe that legislation really makes anyone more free or safe then not legislating...since laws once there are still interpretted, overturned, broken...etc.)

I'm not ever gonna stop arguing with people about things...cuz frankly i like to argue, but...I have less of a vested interest in people coming over to my side...and I really believe that personal freedom isn't dependent on the world changing or laws being passed.

If you are involved in various causes because that's what you truly want to do, then great...I can't expect that everyone derives happiness by chasing the same things...but it sounds like you are burnt out...so maybe you could take a vacation of sorts, recharge your batteries. The world will still be here when you get back (assuming the muslims haven't blown us all up by then)

out of curiosity, and playing devil's advocate, why is it necessary to profess non belief in the christian god? I share my views less and less with people outside my circle. This isn't because I fear persecution,but because I know their views are different and I don't feel like wasting my time with them. I simply surround myself with those of like mind and do my own thing.

I was gonna watch it, but I think I'll pass. It sounds like a movie that will just piss me off and make me paranoid.

All I've got to say about this is, wow. :twitch:

I think to understand what I wrote fully, you'd have to have seen the movie.

Athiest Mommy, I to witnessed V For Vendetta(I own the DVD too), and it is one of the finest films I've seen in recent years.

Like you this movie resonated with me on a very personal level. After I got finished viewing it I had nightmares.

As a young gay male, in our current political climate, the movie shook me to my very core. I fear persecution based on my sexuality. Afterall, you can turn on any public television station and listen to these scumbag televangelists condemning gays and lesbians to hell. Furthermore, the public is being taught that we only want to recruit their children into our "cause." Now the Christian right is rallying around Mel Gibson, a known anti-semite, simply because he's a Christian. The blatant disregard that this administration has for people who express a different view is chilling.

I can honestly see a situation like V occuring in America. Look how willing people are to sit on their hands and say absolutely nothing. They are willing to give up their freedoms in the name of "safety" from terrorist attacks. This son of a bitch(Dubya)even wants to ratify the constitution simply because two people of the same sex want to get married. It almost feels like a psuedo theocracy. I haven't been alive past my 20's, but I don't ever remember the country being this divided.

And it seems like the Christian right is trying to galvanize all of it's sheep and trample on ANYONE who doesn't share their point of view.

Hell yeah that is scary to think...

The problem is that history has shown us how easy it is to fall into something like this. We can get past it, but the price for freedom is death all too often. A man like Bush is all you need.

btw, you should check out my myspace... http://www.myspace.com/atheistmommy

All I've got to say about this is, wow. :twitch:

I think to understand what I wrote fully, you'd have to have seen the movie.

nah. i don't think the movie is for me. especially if it's not an action film.

Ummm, you should view a trailer before you go on someone else's opinion. I mean, maybe there isn't nearly as much blood shed as "The Passion of The Christ" but it's got a good amount of things being blown up and blood flying everywhere. I mean, after all, it is a terrorist video.

The movie has a great one-liner that I love:

News editor to reporter: It's our job to report the news, not to fabricate it. That's the Government's job!

Casey

Inane pointless stupid vapid vacant whining!

Fixed :wave:

I rather enjoyed the movie. The buildup to the finale really gave me goosebumps. And both the beginning and the end scenes gave (and still give) me chills going straight to the bone.

Y'all should've seen it in IMAX. THAT was a thrill!

Ummm, you should view a trailer before you go on someone else's opinion. I mean, maybe there isn't nearly as much blood shed as "The Passion of The Christ" but it's got a good amount of things being blown up and blood flying everywhere. I mean, after all, it is a terrorist video.

lmao. ok. Well let me ask you this...can i see it as "just a movie" or does it have to be viewed as some sort of "propaganda" Am I gonna be all riled up and pissed off...cause I really don't have the energy for that.

Propraganda is subjective, so it all depends on your personal definition of what "propaganda" is. Besides it sounds like you've already developed bias against it.

Propraganda is subjective, so it all depends on your personal definition of what "propaganda" is. Besides it sounds like you've already developed bias against it.

well how can i help that, when everybody that has watched it goes: "You HATE the government" and lets all go protest something.

I just don't want to watch a movie that's gonna depress me. what's the piont? :shrug:

I'm wondering, who said these things? I'd like for you to point out the exact quote "You HATE the government" and "lets all go protest something."

I'm wondering, who said these things? I'd like for you to point out the exact quote "You HATE the government" and "lets all go protest something."

Jesus christ...are we gonna get into THAT again. I'm not debating this issue. whether or not i watch the movie, it's not like it's gonna change my life, it's just a movie.

First off, you don't know if it will or not. Second, stop replying if you're not debating the issue. Its that simple.

First off, you don't know if it will or not. Second, stop replying if you're not debating the issue. Its that simple.

A. Believe it or not i talk to more people besides just on this site, and the general consensus from people about this movie has been that you will see it and hate the government, like seething hatred, and be motivated to take up a bunch of causes...and neither reaction is really something i'm personally looking for in my life.

and

B. I reply so you know that I didn't just ignore you. I read your reply to me and am informing you that I'm not debating it. Why don't YOU stop posting. heh.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

God it brings back memories huh?

Ok, so why didn't you just mention that in the first place?

I've yet to say I'm not trying to debate the issue. Which would be why I continue to reply. Seriously, if you ignore me, I'm totally fine with that. I don't need reassurance, but thank you anyway.

Ok, so why didn't you just mention that in the first place?

cause i was lazy and wanted to be a bitch about it.

I've yet to say I'm not trying to debate the issue. Which would be why I continue to reply. Seriously, if you ignore me, I'm totally fine with that. I don't need reassurance, but thank you anyway.

hehe. yeah yeah...but i'm compelled to respond when people talk to me. I know you don't need reassurance, but it's polite to acknowledge when someone talks to you. Sometimes i like to be polite.

If that has any bit of truth to it than you understand why I am compelled to fight back when someone attacks me (ps, I'm not talking about you, I'm speaking in general and especially with rights).

I don't share your opinion though. I don't think its rude to not respond. I do however, think its rude to respond with nothing but negative responses that lack reason and facts (again, speaking in general).

But I think its wise to keep in mind that pretty much everything is subjective, including being polite. We cannot please everyone, no matter how hard we try.

Over all, I really enjoyed the movie. It has plenty of action in it, but it's also a movie of ideas, thus some long verbal exchanges. I thought it helped me to understand the reasoning behind V. I did struggle when *spoiler alert* V imprisons Evey, when at first she thinks it's the government that did it. I don't agree with that, but...it was only a film. The reason it's so controversial is because people are comparing it with what's going on in today's world; but wasn't this based on a story or comic, written 10-20 years ago? I plan on buying the DVD.

AM,

AFAIC this is the most important movie recently made.

Anyone with any sense of historical thought can see the waves of religous bigotry ebb and flow.

"V" is just one senario, and just another action movie to those who are not politically aware or give a damn about their Freedoms.

We'll need to build a Bill of Rights Culture back in this Country to ever find Freedom from gov dot org again..

I hope the few folks who are not flockers, invested deep in *the way shit always has been, why change it?* find a way to help tear down this unconstitutional mess that we've allowed to happen.

"V" is a damn good way to separate the sheep from the goats..

k, goatbot, FL

he imprisons some chick?

well why didn't you say so!

*goes to watch*

muahahahahahaha

Oh yeah...ties her up and stuff...plays water games...he wears a mask and dresses all in black, even black gloves... :wicked::HaHa:

But as Nivek points out, there's a real serious side to it.

Over all, I really enjoyed the movie. It has plenty of action in it, but it's also a movie of ideas, thus some long verbal exchanges. I thought it helped me to understand the reasoning behind V. I did struggle when *spoiler alert* V imprisons Evey, when at first she thinks it's the government that did it. I don't agree with that, but...it was only a film. The reason it's so controversial is because people are comparing it with what's going on in today's world; but wasn't this based on a story or comic, written 10-20 years ago? I plan on buying the DVD.

Yes, it is based on a comic written quite a few years ago. But what I found most interesting is the fact that many heros could be considered terrorists. It just makes me rethink the whole terrorist thing.

Yes, it is based on a comic written quite a few years ago. But what I found most interesting is the fact that many heros could be considered terrorists. It just makes me rethink the whole terrorist thing.

"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter". Didnt' they used to argue over that back in the eighties during all the upheaval going on in Central America, some (a lot) of which was supported by the USA? *sigh* Some things never change....

"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter". Didnt' they used to argue over that back in the eighties during all the upheaval going on in Central America, some (a lot) of which was supported by the USA? *sigh* Some things never change....

I don't remember. I thought it was a good way to explain why people do what they do. I think the part I like most about the movie was that he agreed to the fact that he had become a monster. The idea that drove him also defined him.

I don't remember much about the eighties. I think maybe I was a bit too young to understand anything political back then. I do remember watching them tare that wall down on the news. I sat there watching how happy they were thinking, "why is this such a big deal." Of course later on, I got older, and figured it out.

I thought 'V' was very inspirational as a non-believer. It illustrated the fact that governments can only go as far as the people will let them.

But it's also problematic - V himself was as fanatical as the government he opposed, and just as vicious. It reminded me of Communist rebels in South America or Africa, killing or maiming ordinary citizens they suspected of opposing them.

In the end, people need to be intelligent and proactive if they are to avoid grim scenarios like the one presented in the comic or movie. '1984', 'Brave New World', and 'V For Vendetta' should be required reading in every classroom in America.

lmao. ok. Well let me ask you this...can i see it as "just a movie" or does it have to be viewed as some sort of "propaganda" Am I gonna be all riled up and pissed off...cause I really don't have the energy for that.

The movie is Outstanding IMO.

Bottom Line, The terrorist wake the sheep up... While rallying the people, he also puts responsibility on the people for allowing themselves to become sheep for safety. I own the two disk set and saw it twice at the movies. I think it's pretty outstanding for DC Comics.

I thought 'V' was very inspirational as a non-believer. It illustrated the fact that governments can only go as far as the people will let them.

But it's also problematic - V himself was as fanatical as the government he opposed, and just as vicious. It reminded me of Communist rebels in South America or Africa, killing or maiming ordinary citizens they suspected of opposing them.

In the end, people need to be intelligent and proactive if they are to avoid grim scenarios like the one presented in the comic or movie. '1984', 'Brave New World', and 'V For Vendetta' should be required reading in every classroom in America.

Excellently stated.

Personally, Zoe, I think you should go see it. I thought it was an excellent film, both as an action movie and as a political commentary, but I didn't walk out of the theater wanting to immediately go out and join a political movement or go home and hang my head to cry. It was just a good flick that provided some interesting food for thought.

You know perfectly well that I love to argue at least as much as you, and I'm willing to bet that with time and experience I could develop into an equally-unhinged pervert , so this technically classifies as a recommendation from "one of your own." :wicked: Now git yer ass to the movie store, dammit! :HaHa:

Wait... Are you implying there were other reasons to watch it? :huh:

:unsure:

Well shit, now I'm gonna' have to give it another go. Here I'd been thinking all this time the whole thing was just a big Guy Fawkes fetish film.

:HaHa: