Religion - The Most Natural Thought

SkepticOfBible

From

http://www.achristianandanatheist.com/phpB...&highlight=

Robert Hecht-Nielsen, one of the greats in the research field of Artificial Intelligence recently presented his theory of human thought named "Cogent Confabulation". The theory has at its base that all human thought is a process of confabulation i.e. making up a story to best fit the sensory inputs or assumed prior facts. Based on this theory he was able to construct an engine that appears to have the capability of natural language processing and formation. He was able to make his AI system add a sentence to a two sentence story in a way that was gramatically coherent and consistent with the story's context.

Assuming his theory is correct, it's rather obvious that religion and all myths can be explained as an inbuilt phenomenon because the brain is an engine with confabulation as its main mechanism. This is why we so readily fill "god" into any gaps of our knowledge. The brain needs to complete the "confabulation loop" and thus create a "satisfying story".

What this implies is that religiosity is the natural state of our brain, not skepticism. The brain "hates" null output. Some sense must be made of assumed facts, no matter how contrived it is.

Now, that does not make religion any more true than the stories that Robert Nielsen's engine made up but it goes a long way towards explaining why atheists are the "oddballs" and religiosity is so "natural" and "obvious" to so many.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those interested in AI, here's some sample output generated by Nielsen's engine (stuff that AI made up is in blue font):

Seeing us in a desperate situation, the Lahore airport authorities switched on the runway lights and allowed us to land with barely one to two minutes of fuel left in the aircraft, he said. At Lahore, Pakistani authorities denied Saran's request to accept wounded passengers and women and children, but they refueled the plane. Airport authorities said they were not consulted beforehand.

Michelle strengthened from a Category 2 to a Category 4 storm Saturday, with winds reaching 140 mph, but it was expected to weaken before it reached Florida. The storm or its effects could strike the Keys and South Florida tonight or early Monday, said Krissy Williams, a meteorologist at the National Hurricane Center in Miami. Forecasters warned residents to evacuate their homes as a precaution.

But the constant air and artillery attacks that precede the advance of Russian troops have left civilians trapped in southern mountain villages, afraid to venture under the bombs and shells raining on the roads, Chechen officials and civilians said. Residents of the capital Grozny who had fled the city in hopes of escaping to Georgia, which borders Chechnya to the south, have been stuck in the villages of Itum-Kale, 50 miles south of Grozny, and Shatoi, 35 miles south of Grozny. Russian forces pounded the strongholds in the breakaway republic.

Your thoughts in this?

very interesting, trying to logically say why people believe in God. :scratch:

it states that skepticism is not the normal state of mind. if this was the case, if a scientist offered convincing proof of evolution, why is it that 40% of america rejects evolution. and i think it was what 20% who was not sure. i think skepticism is a nature part of the thought process, not un-natural.

Seems to me that the responses of the AI are quite logical, following the context of each of the related stories.

very interesting, trying to logically say why people believe in God. :scratch:

it states that skepticism is not the normal state of mind. if this was the case, if a scientist offered convincing proof of evolution, why is it that 40% of america rejects evolution. and i think it was what 20% who was not sure. i think skepticism is a nature part of the thought process, not un-natural.

Freeday, yes, our own brains reach conclusions based on the facts we have currently. Skepticism generally comes in when someone else gives us their conclusions based on what information they may have.

As to "a scientist offering convincing proof of evolution", I'm not sure what that has to do with the discussion at hand, but the evidence and proofs are there. Most are simply too convinced of their belief in a supreme creator god to look beyond that.

While this is hardly statistically reliable, I have had the opportunity to ask friends and acquaintances what they thought about the young earth theory and evolution..I can only find one teacher (yes, scary thought, that!) who holds to young earth/gawd didit.

As to 40% of America rejecting evolution..I'm part of America and no one ever asked me..