Goodbye Jesus

Christianity Makes Light Of Evil!

Llwellyn

According to conventional thinking, atheism, agnosticism, and various forms of non-Christian religion do not put human evil in the proper perspective because they disbelieve that there is a God who would requite vengeance for sin. "Christianity," it is thought "is the religion that opens our eyes to the true nature of evil, because it teaches of a God of wrath, hellfire, destructive retribution, and blood atonement."

But I see things differently...

I think the doctrine of divine destructive retribution takes the focus away from the truly horrendous nature of human evil and the true responsibility that ONLY humans have for it. Evil must be laid at the feet of humans ALONE. But the Christian teaching of divine destructive retribution takes the focus away from our own evil, and we are let off the hook to be taught and to believe that God, too, is evil, and that our evil is the consummation of God's intent in cursing us through Adam for the Primal Sin. Evil in itself is a loathesome thing, but Christians distract themselve from this sober consideration of human evil by teaching that God enforces a non-corrective punishment for evil (upon the wronger or Christ as his substitute). :loser:

Christianity makes light of human evil in so many different ways. It teaches that the "debt" of human evil can be discharged through the suffering and punishment of Christ on the cross. But evil is not "undone" by punishment or suffering. Rather, evil is only "undone" by restitution and repentant grief (which can be provoked by punishment). Not all the suffering that could be heaped upon the wicked (or Christ as substitute) could buy them a moment’s respite, so little is their suffering a counterpoise to their wrong. The suffering of millions of years could not equal the sin of a moment, could not pay off one farthing of the deep debt. :vent:

For background, I am a Platonist. Platonists are basically optimistic agnostics who hope there is a God, but believe not because it is too good to be true. God's retribution is always creative and not destructive, although it hurts like hell to have justice operate upon us, surgically removing the cancer of evil. In this system, unlike Christianity, there is a salutary sense of sin. :HappyCry:

Does what I am saying make sense to anybody? Do you have any reflections of how Christianity, contrary to popular perception, does not open our eyes, but closes them, to the seriousness of moral crime? :woohoo:

I agree with you on the idea that Christianity lessens personal responsibility, putting faith in God for all things.

I do not, however, agree that there is any sort of justice or counterbalance to what we perseve as evil.

Yes! I've long thought that the concepts that one is saved through faith rather than acts and that it is impossible to lose salvation once one has been graced (greased? :wicked: ) by god enables believers to shirk responsibility for bad acts under the cover of "Not Perfect, Just Forgiven." With this kind of thinking, a christian who rapes, tortures and kills could get a free pass to heaven, particularly if he makes that "deathbed confession" that christians are so fond of. But a person like me who is not perfect but pretty darn good yet can't bring themselves to believe in what is unbelievable gets an eternity of hellfire. Divine Justice, eh?

... For background, I am a Platonist. Platonists are basically optimistic agnostics who hope there is a God, but believe not because it is too good to be true. God's retribution is always creative and not destructive, although it hurts like hell to have justice operate upon us, surgically removing the cancer of evil. In this system, unlike Christianity, there is a salutary sense of sin. :HappyCry: ...

BTW, thanks for enlightening me. I hadn't heard about Platonists before, but it sounds like I am one! At least, I'll "study up" on this.

I've noticed another way that Christianity makes light of evil is God's own behavior. How come it's okay for God to do all those bad things (commanding mass genocide, killing his own followers, sadisticly punishing innocents, etc) ?