Goodbye Jesus

Friends, I Hurt My Lower Back

Lorena Rodriguez

When I went to church, and I had a problem like this, I asked people about it. Since I no longer go to church, I'll tell you about it.

I was mowing the lawn yesterday and I bent down slightly, just a little. Then, suddenly, I felt a cramp-like stab about two inches above my left gluteus and about 3 inches from my spine.

It hurt all night, when in certain positions. And it hurts when I bend down. I was scrubbing the toilet this morning and I had to bend from my knees to minimize the pain--yes, I know, but I can't stand a dirty toilet.

Here are the questions:

What the heck happened to me?

Should I go to the Dr.?

In my experience you have to be bleeding for the doctors to pay any attention, otherwise they just tell you to relax and go home--here in British Columbia anyway.

Do you guys think it is serious or will it go away by itself?

Does it happen to everybody? I am in my early forties and this is my first. Sign of aging?

Any home remedies you could recommend? I hate prescription drugs.

Thank you for your help.

It's a demon. See an exorcist immediately.

On a more serious note, I'd give it a couple days and see if it goes away or gets worse. It'll probably just heal up on its own. If it doesn't, or if it gets worse, it might be worth a trip to the doctor to get it checked out. A chiropractor might be able to help you, too.

If it persists for more than a couple of days, go see a doctor.

There are probably also exercises that you could do to prevent later reinjury, you'd probably want to talk to a doc about those as well, takes time, but the results are worth it if you stick with it.

Alternate between hot compress and cold compress. Take it easy for a couple days (try to stay relaxed "take-it-easy" does NOT mean get down on your hands and knees to scrub behind the damn toilet). Do the hot/cold switchoff as continuously as possible.

See how it feels after a couple days. If it's still acting "sproinged" go see a doctor.

You might have a compressed lumbar disk. (And I don't mean the kind of compressed disk you have on the computer. :) )

I recommend you go to a doctor and get an x-ray or MRI. There are different ways of treatment, but you better know what you have before you take action.

--edit--

Sorry, I didn't read properly. You said three inches to the left. It still can be nerves pinched in your lumbar region. Still recommend you go to a doctor (or a chiropractor if you dare take the risk - some do x-ray.)

--edit--

Took a look at some recommendations,

When do I need to go to my doctor for back pain?

As stated previously, most episodes of back pain last a few days, and have completely resolved within a few weeks. If you have new back pain, you should contact your doctor to see if you need further evaluation. There are also a few warning signs that may indicate a problem that needs immediate evaluation:

Your back pain persists beyond a few days

Your back pain awakens you at night

Your have difficulty controlling your bowels or bladder

You have a fever, chills, sweats, or other signs of infection

Any other unusual symptoms

And I saw something else, called Lumbar Muscle Strain:

Muscle strains are the most common cause of low back pain. Patients may or may not remember the initial event that triggered their muscle spasm, but the good news is that most episodes of back pain from muscle strains resolve completely within a few weeks.

If you can, try to find a good chiropractor. Either that, or try to go to a D.O. (as opposed to a M.D.), as they are trained in musculo-skeletal manipulation (sorta' like a chiropractor, but not quite as far out there, if you know what I mean) along with all the other medical training M.D.'s go through. S/he will most likely take an X-ray, try some manipulation coupled with muscle relaxers, and then only suggest going under the knife probably as a last resort. A D.O. probably won't be as quick to jump to surgery as a first plan of attack, if that's what you're afraid of.

Sounds like a pulled muscle since your were not lifting. But be aware pinched disks can start off feeling like a pulled muscle and days later pain shoots down the back of your leg which is classic of a pinched disk. Like the others I would say take it easy.

Avoid surgery. Unfortunately there's a couple of old-time-doctors that only see surgery as the answer for everything. There are plenty of treatments, just like Entgegen said.

D.O., never heard of that before. What does it stand for? Is it like a PT?

If you look for a PT or massage therapist, see if the know A.R.T., that treatment help me with some of my back problems.

My wife was treated with a thing that reminds of the old time torture machines, for a couple of months (or a year, can't remember) and her back is pretty much okay now. She had herniated disks, and the treatment managed to remove that, without surgery.

D.O. is Doctor of Osteopathy.

Doctors and chiropractors that my husband has gone to recommend what others have said, put a cold pack on it for a brief time (don't want frostbite!) then a hot pack. It's probably a muscle strain though could be a pinched nerve.

I've had something similar, just above right glute, for a while. It comes and goes.

It's a demon. See an exorcist immediately.

ha, ha....he, he.....

Maybe I just need laugh therapy ... that was hillarious. Thanks for the advice, too.

Thank you so much guys, maybe just knowing that someone cares will make me feel a lot better.

:wub:

I just came back from the gym. Soacked in the hot tub for a while. It felt good. :Old:

The advice was excellent. Who needs a mother when I have you All. :clap:

First of all, you're going to die... :mellow:

Okay. Now that we have that out of the way... :HaHa:

I just came back from the gym. Soacked in the hot tub for a while. It felt good. :Old:
Oh it will feel good after a hot tub soaking.

It'll work every time.

Let us know how it feels in the morning though. :scratch:

I'll bet you it's going to be stiff as hell. :shrug:

You might want to take another look at Raven's advice up there. If you don't switch between hot and cold compresses within the first few days, you're just asking for trouble.

I know because I've been there and done that several times. It's not an age thing, either. I was hospitalized in my mid-twenties with a back injury. It's a combination of improper movement and how good of shape you're in as far as your lower-back, abdomen and oblique muscles are concerned. However, even when a person is in top shape, they can still put their backs out if they don't use proper form when lifting or bending.

More than likely, you've simply pulled a muscle in your lower lumbar region. It'll be a good thing if you can periodically stretch those muscles especially now that you've hurt them. A good way to do that is to lay flat on your back, bend your knees up and slowly let your knees fall to either side of you while keeping your back flat. When I have back trouble, this is the most comforting thing that I can do for it, imo.

Another thing that you can do is to lay on the floor face down on your stomach. Slightly part your legs and reach your arms outward so that you form a sort of 'X' shape with your body. Then you slowly raise your right arm and left leg simultaneously and hold that position for about 5 to 10 seconds and relax. Then slowly raise your left arm and right leg, and hold that position for about 5 to 10 seconds.

Do about 10 sets of that exercise, then do the stretch that I mentioned above. You'll feel much better in a very short time. Also, once you're finished doing these, go back to your hot and cold compresses.

Hope that helps.

What the heck happened to me?

Possibly early onset of sciatica, you might have pinched the sciatic nerve.

Should I go to the Dr.?

In my experience you have to be bleeding for the doctors to pay any attention, otherwise they just tell you to relax and go home--here in British Columbia anyway.

See a chiro or a massage therapist.

Do you guys think it is serious or will it go away by itself?

It can if you have a muscle imbalance or you weak lower back muscles or tight lower back muscles.

Does it happen to everybody? I am in my early forties and this is my first. Sign of aging?

80% of all WCB claims are due to lower back pain.

Any home remedies you could recommend? I hate prescription drugs.

Thank you for your help.

Go to a fucking gym :)

Do not, repeat, do not go into sedentary mode. Keep moving slowly and gently with the best posture you can muster. You may have strained a muscle in the lumbosacral area (the area between the tailbone and your waist, approximately), or pinched a nerve.

Hopefully it isn't a strained ligament... Those take a bit longer to heal. I tore up my lower back rather severely about ten years ago, doing a deadlift at the gym. Took about a month to get moving properly again. Ow.

If the pain is just as sharp three days from now, call in the D.O. or a chiro.

ooooh... they have fucking-gyms now! I know they say sex burns a lot of calories, but a gym based on it! Sign me on!!! :grin:

ooooh... they have fucking-gyms now! I know they say sex burns a lot of calories, but a gym based on it! Sign me on!!! :grin:

Priceless, Hansolo, that is priceless. Ha, ha.... We should move this thread to the S&C section now!

Do not, repeat, do not go into sedentary mode. Keep moving slowly and gently with the best posture you can muster. You may have strained a muscle in the lumbosacral area (the area between the tailbone and your waist, approximately), or pinched a nerve.

OK. I will try to keep moving.

Do about 10 sets of that exercise, then do the stretch that I mentioned above. You'll feel much better in a very short time. Also, once you're finished doing these, go back to your hot and cold compresses.

Hope that helps.

Will follow to the letter, thanks.

80% of all WCB claims are due to lower back pain.

I never knew you were Canadian until I read "WCB" on your post. Then I looked at the info under the Avatar.

Nice to find another Canadian, hey? Well I am Latina-Canadian.

Thank you for your help, everybody--most appreciated. Got to get busy with the cold-and-hot stuff. I am feeling better today, the pain sort of moved to my tail bone, but I feel better.

Thanks again.