Goodbye Jesus

When People Ask "What Are You?"

Epicurienne

I usually just say "Buddhist". I'm not Buddhist, at least not exclusively, but it usually solves the problem.

Saying "heathen", I find, makes people think I'm being some kind of smartass. Since I love to explore the spiritual realm, I used to say, "Curious", only that made Christians and Muslims think that I was curious about their religions. :P

In response to "what am I?" my best answer is little laugh and "Oh, I'm not religious." (With a tone of surprise that I'm being asked such a thing). I've tried answering 'humanist' but that is akin to saying 'satanist' to most fundies. (I used to be one such fundy).

In response to "so you don't believe in anything?" my response is "I believe in people." If context is right I'll add "...I know people exist."

I usually have had the conversation stop with both of these responses - which always makes me think I've either given them something useful to think about, or I've offended them terribly.

I'm one of those 'nice, normal people' that nobody thinks could possibly be an atheist, they assume I'm a Christian just like them.

I just say I'm not religious and leave it at that.

I just say I'm not religious and leave it at that.

Ditto, especially if I don't feel like getting into a futile and pointless discussion. To say I'm an atheist often evokes a completely undeserved connotation.

“Mankind has been punished long and heavily for having created its gods; nothing but pain and persecution has been man's lot since gods began.”(Emma Goldman)

I think of myself as agnostic, so that's how I respond. It's not generally taken badly.

I think of myself as agnostic, so that's how I respond. It's not generally taken badly.

Yeah that is usually what I say as well. But I work with a bunch of fundies and they are always trying to find out how they can "bring me back to god" - bummer. They email me prayers and all kinds of other junk. Oh well it gives them something to hope for LOL

I am also a fan of good coffee! almost as wonderful as the chocolate Goddess. :HappyCry:

I usally say that I am dead. Unfortunatly some smart-ass Christians think this is an invatation for them to preach.

That is when I start making shit up: Have you ever slept in a graveyard? Do you like blood too, after all you are supposed to wash in it? Etc.

Usualy they get creeped out and leave me be.

Last year I had total knee replacement of both knees. During the preregistration I was asked what religion and I said none.

Guess what showed up to my room, right a chaplin. I got rid of him, but it's the last thing you want to deal with at a time like thiat.

After my second surgery a different chaplin shows up. I'm even more surprised because I thought the first chaplin would have made a note, silly me!

So if you don't want to be bothered by the chaplins make it clear to everyone.

Renfield,

It's obvious - when they asked about your religion and you said "none", they must've thought you said "nun"!

Welcome to the forums, Sister Renfield!!! :lmao: