Goodbye Jesus

Never Doubt In The Dark What He Told You In The Light

OnceConvinced

"Never doubt in the dark what he told you in the light"

Has anyone ever heard this phrase? Have you ever had that one quoted at you?

Meaning: You believed what God told you when you were strong in your faith, when everything was going well for you, so when things start to go bad and God seems distant, remember what he told you and what he did, when things were going well. Remember that all that stuff is still true.

As a christian struggling with my faith, I really held on to this quote. I kept reminding myself of it. But then I asked myself..... Why shouldn't I doubt?? What if, what he told me in the light was a load of crock? Maybe it wasn't him after all and just me? Maybe all those things I thought was God, was just coincedence? And just because now, things aren't going too well in my life, particularly with my faith, why should I have to keep reminding myself of the stuff that happened years and years ago? Why doesn't he do something new? If God really is who he says he is and is a God who keeps his promises, he should do and say something new, even in the dark.

This quote, I have come to realise is just another excuse Christians use to excuse God's inactivity in their lives. (like a lot of other quotes they use like "God works in mysterious ways" and "It's God's will")

Anyone seen that "Footsteps in the sand" wall hanging?

http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~wonj/me/ftstps.html

How many people are touched by this sentimental drivell? Oh yeah, I was, I thought how true it was. That's exactly what God is doing. It's nice to think that's the way it really is, that God carries you through the rough times. But I think the reality is, it's all just sentimental BS and we just get through it ourselves under our own steam. Those footprints we thought were god's beside us, were really just our own because we were going around in circles with a blindfold over our eyes.

Perhaps the next part of the story should go.

The man thought about what the Lord said,

realised it was nonsence and continued walking.

Finally he came to higher ground, which was firm.

He kept walking and found he no longer left footprints.

No longer was he bogged down by sand.

No longer walking around in circles.

Leaving his invisible, silent, friend far behind,

he was finally able to enjoy the view of the world,

rather than trapsing aimlessly across the sand.

He was truly free.

Once, did you write that? I love it..

I spent over a year cross stitching the Footprints poem onto cloth. The finished object is over 2ft long..

If it is yours, would you mind if I borrowed it as an addendum?

As to the OP..yes, I've heard similar sentiments. I would like to reply to that question, "How do I know I wasn't in the dark then..and am now in the light?"

I feel really confident where I am now..no doubts, so therefore, I must be in the light.. :grin:

Yeah, I wrote it. Feel free to take it, edit it, add to it, what ever you want.

Why?

That'll be my answer to that if I'm ever asked.

Yeah, it would definitely be my answer now too.

My wife has footsteps. She had like one table/wall where she kept the religous stuff. Which has all disappeared. She does not like religion and is more a deist now.

So the first time I saw it I was already an atheist and just rolled my eyes. But then I'm the type of guy that laughed through The Exorcism of Emily Rose. :HaHa:

This quote, I have come to realise is just another excuse Christians use to excuse God's inactivity in their lives. (like a lot of other quotes they use like "God works in mysterious ways" and "It's God's will")

This was like my mom saying because I said so. No answer at all.

When asked why is the sky blue, isn't it easier to say god made it that way?

I heard the quote when I was new in Canada. I had heard all the Spanish cliches, but I wasn't used to the English ones. So when the pastor said it, I thought he was brilliant!

I held on to the "piece of wisdom" until the very last days of my christianity. I still use it for my human relationships. Like if I know my husband would never be late on purpose and he hasn't showed up yet!

Yeah, we ought to make a list of all these cliches and put 'em on the Homepage.

"God works in mysterious ways"

"It's God's will"

"You faith is not strong enough"

"We don't know/Everything is part of--God's plan"

--------And my personal favorite------

The Lord helps those who help themselves.

"It's God's will"

And don't forget: "God never gives you more than you can handle."

Yeah, right; that must explain why suicides, deaths from stress-related diseases, and the like never, ever occur.

"It's God's will"

And let's not forget, "God is testing your faith." The answer to all the following questions:

"How come carbon dating shows that dinosaur bones are millions of years older than the oldest homo sapiens bones?"

"How come certain Psalms sound suspiciously almost exactly like Egyptian prayers to the sun god?"

"How come archaeological evidence in Egypt makes no mention of plagues, Hebrews in slavery, or an exodus of Hebrews from Egypt?"

"Why does science seem to indicate an earth and universe far older than 4,000 years?"

Answer: "Erm.....God is testing your faith."

My Lutheran pastor told me in confirmation class that God put dinosaur bones in the ground not because dinosaurs actually existed but because God was "testing our faith". I still can't believe how much time the Christian God has on His hands.

Never doubt in the dark what he told you in the light

I've never heard that one before, but my response would be something to the effect of:

"I have doubt in your God for the same reason that the wife of a philandering husband doubts her beloved's fidelity... because he's absent in the darkness, rather than being right beside her when she longs for him."

And don't forget: "God never gives you more than you can handle."

Yeah, right; that must explain why suicides, deaths from stress-related diseases, and the like never, ever occur.

Or even why anyone dies before their time. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Oh, I'm not the one who's doubting. My life is more illuminated than ever.

"A witty saying proves nothing."

-Voltaire