Goodbye Jesus

Does Jesus Factor Into Your Life In Any Way?

WakingUp

If my choices are "lord, liar or lunatic," then I'm going to pick "lunatic." There were a lot of cult leaders and spiritual teachers in Jesus' place and time. But honestly, if someone claims to be "the son of god" and willingly allows himself to be executed....what do you think? If someone right here and now in the 21st century did things like that, everybody on the planet would think they were mentally ill.

I believe someone named Jesus probably existed, but I also believe there are no trustworthy accounts of his life and actions. Why was the New Testament written decades or even centuries after Jesus supposedly did all his stuff? When somebody turns water into wine, drives demons into pigs, or raises someone else from the dead, that's NEWS! Why didn't somebody write about it at the time, instead of decades later? And why not some of the non-Jewish/non-Christian people, who did travel in and near Judea at the time?

Put it another way: If I, a USAian, went to Mexico and saw with my own eyes a verifiable mermaid or unicorn, I'd tell everybody about it! Verbally, in writing, in vernacular but correct USAian English. So why didn't somebody, say a Roman or Greek in Judea, write some account of having seen some of these supposed "miracles"?

I for sure don't believe Jesus was "son of god", "born of a virgin", or "resurrected."

Virgins don't have babies.

Dead people don't come back to life.

Nothing I've done is so bad that somebody has to be crucified to pay for it.

I think the lunacy came after his teachings. If he was real (I think so), then he would be very troubled about all the crap that was attributed to him. It would seem that they took what he taught and distorted it to suit themselves so much that it had the effect of going against his teachings totally. Jesus was against institutions...so they formed an institution to get rid of the institution...that is lunacy.

I would also like to say that however great a guy Jesus might have been, I still prefer the Buddha.