Goodbye Jesus

Sylvia Brown

LosingMyReligion

Shiva! This is the very last time that I'm going to ask you this!!!!

What's a mungbean? :shrug:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• euphgeek

• AtheistMommy

• Lizard

• Fweethawt

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

Shiva! This is the very last time that I'm going to ask you this!!!!

What's a mungbean? :shrug:

Its my way of saying shit eating fuckstick that leaves the morons wondering whether or not they just been dissed. They have. Completely.

Oh.

I see.

I got your Delorean and basketball. They're waitin' for ya. :HaHa:

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

I'd give it all up if only Euphgeek could grow a brain and no longer have to bite the heads off chickens.

Sir, you must save yourself from the eddy of stupidity thats mixing your starbucks latte right now

Easily the most creative insult I've had the pleasure to read. :thanks:

I'd give it all up if only Euphgeek could grow a brain and no longer have to bite the heads off chickens.
What if he decided to grow chickens and bite the heads off of

Never mind! I'm way too tired to think right now. :ugh:

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

Sir, you must save yourself from the eddy of stupidity thats mixing your starbucks latte right now

I've got a million of em, fireman. :HaHa:

What if he decided to grow chickens and bite the heads off of

Never mind! I'm way too tired to think right now. :ugh:

A geek is a geeek. I can only asume he chose his name with this knowledge, and a sexy chicken tucked into his armpit.

Actually, I found this one to be quite suitable for framing. :HaHa:

Seriously, doofus, if James Randi had never lived your heroes wouldn't be anymore substantial. I understand how vocal skeptics threaten your world view, but it doesn't inspire respect in me. Try to forget that James Randi exists, becaue you are far more enamored of him than enyone else I've met. Try to focus on the utter emptyness of your position, the complete lack of evidence for your side, the historical record which is your bane, the science of reality which confuses you at every turn. Your greatest fear is that you've wasted your lazy mind sopping up easy nonsense whilst others have been prying incessantly at the real fabric of reality. Enjoy your metaphysical Barbies.

Well, gee, it looks like I've angered people by saying what I think about Randi. I hadn't even brought up the fact that I think he and Kent Hovind have a lot in common yet. His followers seem to get so upset whenever I say anything negative about their hero that they resort to ad hominem attacks. Why would anyone want to discuss any sort of challenge with such angry people as yourselves? Honestly, if you're going to follow someone with such fervor, why did you even leave Christianity in the first place? Sorry if that makes you mad(der), but I believe in speaking my mind.

I always thought that people who really had supernatural powers wouldn't be running around on talk shows telling ugly 20-somethings that they're gonna meet the man/woman of their dreams. Honestly, if you had such powers, would you really want to tell everyone? Give away the secret that sets you apart from the rest of the crowd?

My thoughts: If such people do exist

1) They don't have enough control of their ability to summon it at will. So they can't consistently use it, or prove it, even if they wanted to.

2) They can control their power, decide to keep it secret and use it to get ahead in life. And why shouldn't they?

Perhaps some of these people are so powerful, they dont...or cant think like a normal person does. Perhaps the things we're so concerned about become meaningless to them.

I just love it when Randi's followers quote the million dollar challenge as if passing it would prove anything.

Um, passing the challenge would be objective proof of whatever ability was being tested. And what do you mean by "Randi's followers"? Skeptics? People who aren't convinced by psychic cop shows on cable tv? I just love it when credulous woowoos speak of the JREF challenge disdainfully. Run and get your favorite pet psychic and see if they have any interest in the million dollar prize. Anything that is real is provable in some way. It's the burden of the lazy minded to assume anything different.

Who was convinced by the psychic cop shows on cable tv? For myself, I said they were fun to watch. Then again, so is Stargate..doesn't mean I believe there is one in a mountain somewhere in Colorado.

As to Randi's challenge..its no more objective than my own opinion on the matter. The challenge is to prove it to Randi..to his standards. Those standards will never be met, he will make sure of that.

Reminds me of the fundie xtian who will never not believe..no matter how much "proof" you offer to the contrary.

BTW-"Haunting Evidence" follows the other show on court tv, I believe. I hardly pay attention to what channel it is, I only have a few in my fave lineup..

One other thing Shiva..if I were a psychic, and I don't claim to be, I would not take Randi's challenge..not out of fear of failure, but consider what has become of those like Sylvia Brown, John Edwards and others..notoriaty has its drawbacks. And honestly? I wouldn't want the money. No, really, I wouldn't want to be a millionaire..but then again, I'm just weird like that..

The reason I doubt Sylvia so much, now, is because she is becoming TOO notorious...It seems like she may come from a long line of cons...

1.) Once I was tempted to do an over the phone psychic reading with her...Well, the person who took my call said that it would cost $800 dollars for 60 minutes...

I said, "Get the fuck outta here?! I can do my own reading for free!"

Then I hung up.

Why in the hell do you need $800 dollars to tell someone they were the Queen of Eygpt in a past life?

2.) All of her answers seem so general...

Case in point: On one episode of Montel some ugly broad asks the obligatory, "Sylvia, will I find love in my life?"

Sylvia scratches the back of her head and says, "In a few months....to a guy named....ah..." she thinks a minute and says, "Marty..."

The woman starts laughing out loud, and saying "No way!" The woman in question already knows a Marty...

My question is: Who in the hell doesn't know a Marty?

If she had said she would meet a guy named Aristophanes then I might believe it. But it was Marty.

Montell starts hyping up Sylvia and etc...etc...And then Sylvia says that it isn't the marty the woman knows...It is another Marty.

Yeah whatever...

3.) Back to the ugly women looking for a man...

Sylvia has said that she tells women regularly that they won't find a man...Just get a cat.

However, every single chick that asks the question in the audience will find a man in less than two months. Give me a break.

4.) The people seem to always give her the details. They say their house is haunted and give her pictures...Then she talks about their property being buried over a 2,000 year old Indian orphanage...

I could easily tell somebody that.

I don't know. I used to really believe her, but it seems like she is so fake.

She says that the veil is thinning because people are so much more spiritual...I think it is quite the contrarary. Con artists are getting in where they can fit in now that people are so religiously obsessed.

I found a schedule for "Haunting Evidence" on CourtTV, so now I know when to tune in.

Lizard, you're right when you compare Randi to fundie xtians and say that he will never give away the money. He has control over who he tests, and if they look like they might win the money, he makes up some excuse not to test them (like with the Yellow Bamboo organization).

As for Randi's followers, they seem to love getting up on their high horse by assuming that anyone who doesn't march lock-step with Randi's beliefs must be a "credulous woowoo" or other derogatory term.

Sonofspong, there's a third possibility. That these people do demonstrate their abilities, but people still refuse to believe. I read a book by John Edward where he said he was giving readings and he came to this woman and told her that her husband died in a fire. She denied it, saying that her husband died in the hospital. When John asked her what he died of, she answered "Third degree burns and smoke inhalation."

Now I'll admit that there are frauds out there, as in practically any profession, but that doesn't mean that everyone who claims psychic powers is automatically a fraud. I like to test people first to see if they have the abilities they claim. I don't rely on someone else's test, as I find them unreliable and biased.

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

Well, gee, it looks like I've angered people by saying what I think about Randi. I hadn't even brought up the fact that I think he and Kent Hovind have a lot in common yet. His followers seem to get so upset whenever I say anything negative about their hero that they resort to ad hominem attacks. Why would anyone want to discuss any sort of challenge with such angry people as yourselves? Honestly, if you're going to follow someone with such fervor, why did you even leave Christianity in the first place? Sorry if that makes you mad(der), but I believe in speaking my mind.

Go ahead and speak your mind. It's just difficult to tell that from speaking your ass.

I just love it when Randi's followers quote the million dollar challenge as if passing it would prove anything.

Um, passing the challenge would be objective proof of whatever ability was being tested. And what do you mean by "Randi's followers"? Skeptics? People who aren't convinced by psychic cop shows on cable tv? I just love it when credulous woowoos speak of the JREF challenge disdainfully. Run and get your favorite pet psychic and see if they have any interest in the million dollar prize. Anything that is real is provable in some way. It's the burden of the lazy minded to assume anything different.

Who was convinced by the psychic cop shows on cable tv? For myself, I said they were fun to watch. Then again, so is Stargate..doesn't mean I believe there is one in a mountain somewhere in Colorado.

As to Randi's challenge..its no more objective than my own opinion on the matter. The challenge is to prove it to Randi..to his standards. Those standards will never be met, he will make sure of that.

Reminds me of the fundie xtian who will never not believe..no matter how much "proof" you offer to the contrary.

BTW-"Haunting Evidence" follows the other show on court tv, I believe. I hardly pay attention to what channel it is, I only have a few in my fave lineup..

One other thing Shiva..if I were a psychic, and I don't claim to be, I would not take Randi's challenge..not out of fear of failure, but consider what has become of those like Sylvia Brown, John Edwards and others..notoriaty has its drawbacks. And honestly? I wouldn't want the money. No, really, I wouldn't want to be a millionaire..but then again, I'm just weird like that..

You don't have any idea what you're talking about. If the standards for the JREF challenge are never met it's because no one has any testable supernatural abilities, not because anyone has made sure the challenge is impossible. Several people have agreed on testing protocols and blatantly failed the test, to their own seeming amazment. If someone truly had supernatural abilites then they could pass the test. Do you actually know anything about the history of the JREF challenge, or are you just talking shit?

Lol. What are you saying here? Psychics don't like notoriety and money? lol.

You don't have any idea what you're talking about. If the standards for the JREF challenge are never met it's because no one has any testable supernatural abilities, not because anyone has made sure the challenge is impossible. Several people have agreed on testing protocols and blatantly failed the test, to their own seeming amazment. If someone truly had supernatural abilites then they could pass the test. Do you actually know anything about the history of the JREF challenge, or are you just talking shit?

Interestingly enough, the tests are independant of the JREF organization. Randi himself isn't part of the process except that he and the applicant have to agree on the testing protocols.

It's a double-blind scientific methodology where they aren't even carried out by the organization.

She says that the veil is thinning because people are so much more spiritual...I think it is quite the contrarary. Con artists are getting in where they can fit in now that people are so religiously obsessed.

Yes, that seems to be the trend, unfortunately. Like any other money making scheme, the conartists will get in on it..

are you just talking shit?

Yes, I'm just talking shit. Seemed like the thing to do on my day off after a totally wearying week back to work..it was on my to do list for this afternoon.

Lol. What are you saying here? Psychics don't like notoriety and money? lol.

No, that is not what I said..I SAID I I were a psychic it is not something I would like.

I don't "hate" money, but I'm comfortable with what I have..not seeking ever more money, and certainly not notoriety.

I give up..tried to fix the tags and just fucked them up more..the quoted part is in black.

Go ahead and speak your mind. It's just difficult to tell that from speaking your ass.

Retreating to ad hominem again? Go ahead and prove me wrong. Prove that you don't think you're smarter than I am just because you don't believe psychic phenomena is possible.

Euphgeek, forget JREF for a moment and just provide us with a link to one scientific study that has proven any "psychic phenomenon" has any statistical significance. Methinks that JREF is your red herring.

Easy. How about the Ganzfeld and Autoganzfeld experiments? Or the experiments by Dr. Gary Schwartz of the Human Energy Systems Laboratory at the University of Arizona in 2000? Uri Geller's abilities have also been observed by scientists in laboratory conditions, and mediums have been able to demonstrate their abilities under controlled circumstances. Now I'm not now, nor have I ever said that these things prove psychic abilities conclusively, but they are worth consideration if these experiments were able to produce more than chance results.

Again, please provide links and please provide me with evidence that either of these findings have been replicated by an objective scientific body.

There's a video clip on the net somewhere that shows that Uri Geller dude on the Johnny Carson Show. Johnny Carson switched Uri's metal objects prior to him coming out on stage and Uri couldn't do a damn thing with them. He made some cheesy excuses, but that was about it.

And that was live television, too. :lmao:

People are such suckers. :lmao:

*edit*

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O90yvyTd5Y...johnny%20carson

There's a video clip on the net somewhere that shows that Uri Geller dude on the Johnny Carson Show. Johnny Carson switched Uri's metal objects prior to him coming out on stage and Uri couldn't do a damn thing with them. He made some cheesy excuses, but that was about it.

And that was live television, too. :lmao:

People are such suckers. :lmao:

*edit*

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O90yvyTd5Y...johnny%20carson

He wasn't feeling that strong that night..and probably Johnny's psychic energy was working against him to make him fail..see..an explanation for even that..

:HaHa:

Ok..my own belief in Uri Geller's "power" was lost a long time ago..probably before the Johnny Carson show..

It's possible Uri Geller was just having an off night and wouldn't have been able to bend even his own metal. Once on Johnny Carson, Doc Severinson was asked what the highest note he could play was and he answered "double-high C" but when asked to demonstrate, he could only hit a double-high B. That doesn't mean he couldn't hit the double-high C. The fact remains that a few scientists claim to have successfully tested Uri Geller's ability under controlled laboratory conditions at different times.