Goodbye Jesus

I Lost My Job For Being An Atheist!

DeathWorship

ISN'T GOD WONDERFUL! GLORY!

(can you tell i'm angry)

it wasn't directly for that, but my foreman has had it out for me ever since he found out i was a dirty heathen infidel kaffir. he had been looking for any minute excuse to fire me, and seeing as south carolina is a "right to fire" state, the most tiny insignificant thing he could find would work. i know it was because of my religious persuasion because a few months ago we had a run-in that had to do with xtianity, and ever since he found out i didn't believe, he has treated me like dirt beneath his feet.

so a situation arises at work (i won't go into details) that he is able to right me up for (he wrote me up for running inside the factory, which is a safety violation that warrants only a slap on the wrist in the form of a verbal warning, i have read the rules and regulations, i know these things), and the next thing i know, i'm unemployed. i guess god works in mysterious ways.

-JT

I'd talk to a lawyer, if I were you. You might be able to make the case that you were fired because of religion. Which, I believe, is illegal.

oh it is, but this being a right to fire state, unless he outright told me that he was firing me because of my religious belief, and i had a witness to that.. i have nothing.

i forgot to mention that he is a raging born again fundy

Haul his ass to court, get a good lawyer and sue the fuck outta him/the company. Thats my suggestion. And when your in court get him to rile against your "heathen foolish beliefs". Then ask the Jury if they need any more proof and shove the bill of rights and the Constitution in their faces.

Isn't South Carolina that place where there is supposed to be a Christian Exodus movement...Meaning that fundies are going to make SC a "christian state?"

If so maybe you are fortunate that you got canned...That way you can high tail it out of there...

Anyway, I would take them to court. Even if it is a waste of time, maybe you could expose him for the bigot he is...Less of course you get a fundie jury.

You have the constitution on your side. That is against the law.

it would be a major loss of money and time to take him to court. the fact of the matter is, it would never work. simply because that isn't the given reason why i was fired. i just know it to be a personal vendetta. i did absolutely nothing to get fired, as far as company rule goes.

i did absolutely nothing to get fired, as far as company rule goes.
Which is exactly why you have a reason to prove that he fired you for personal differences.

There's a good possibility that you could find a lawyer that would listen to your side of the story and determine whether or not you have a case without it costing you a penny. There's some lawyers that won't charge anything until the case is won.

Just a thought. :shrug:

How did your boss know that you are an atheist?
He has long hair and plays drums in a metal band. :Wendywhatever:

Dang, Burnedout. You're just flat out eeeeeeviiiiiiiiillllllll ! :twitch:

I love it! :Duivel7:

I would definately threated to sue over religious discrimination. The company will likely want to avoid a court appearence and offer a settlement. It will be cheaper for them to settle than to take you to court, even if they win.

Take it from a businessman who's had to pay off claims way more frivilous than this one sounds.

Guest Egregore

ISN'T GOD WONDERFUL! GLORY!

(can you tell i'm angry)

it wasn't directly for that, but my foreman has had it out for me ever since he found out i was a dirty heathen infidel kaffir. he had been looking for any minute excuse to fire me, and seeing as south carolina is a "right to fire" state, the most tiny insignificant thing he could find would work. i know it was because of my religious persuasion because a few months ago we had a run-in that had to do with xtianity, and ever since he found out i didn't believe, he has treated me like dirt beneath his feet.

so a situation arises at work (i won't go into details) that he is able to right me up for (he wrote me up for running inside the factory, which is a safety violation that warrants only a slap on the wrist in the form of a verbal warning, i have read the rules and regulations, i know these things), and the next thing i know, i'm unemployed. i guess god works in mysterious ways.

-JT

I'd sue them and give all the money to their competetors :D

have you talked to his boss yet and explained your side? if the reason given for termination is not in the rules as an offense worthy of being fired whoever is in charge might do something about it.

a friend of mine where I work (walmart DC) got into a fight in the warehouse which is a no questions asked instant shitcanable offense. talked to the head honcho and was able to keep his job.

DW, if you're in the Upstate area, you should contact Mike Cubelo. I think he's with the Greenville County ACLU. I've his e-mail which I can PM to you, if needed. Mikes not an attorney, but I think he might point you in the right direction for legal help, etc.

Sorry DW!

and Christians are the ones crying persecution?

Burnedout has good advice, and I'd contact the ACLU like Beouwulf suggested.

I got into a little problem about a year or so ago with a fellow employee. He kept on saying someone should put a bullet into the atheists head that was trying to get "in gawd WE trust" thing taken off the US currency. I told him I was an atheist and I agreed with the man on the news. Anyway to make a long story short that was more than a year ago. I have been trying to get a certain position in the division for about three years now and doing pretty good at it. That is to say my boss basically said I had the job when someone died, quit or was fired from the other six positions I was trying to fill.

Since then (when I said I was an atheist) I have been written up for small basic things that no one else is being written up for and the guy that was talking about putting a bullet into the atheists head GOT THE POSITION I WAS WORKING FOR.

I am not going down without a fight.

Douglas

Threatening to sue is pointless, even as an empty gesture, if he doesn't have any proof. Unless it was written out on his termination letter or he has recorded instances of religious discrimination, he's SOL in a "Right To Fire" state. They don't really even have to list a reason or tell you why. You just pack your desk and go.

Burned Out's got a good suggestion though. If nothing else, that could give you some satisfaction on the job hunt.

If it were me, I personally wouldn't sue. I wouldn't want to work for a company where people were that bigoted. I'd go find a better job with more pay that I also enjoyed more. Sometimes, living well can be the best revenge.

Living well may be the best revenge, but reporting their asses and getting regularors on them is a close second. Let them know that the deal was because of what their boy did (even better if you can make the complaints look like they came from him).

I'd still take living well, though (there are other things you could do to make the a-hole's life a living hell, mostly involving turning his church against him, but that would be petty and cruel, and after all you are better than that, and more importantly better than the neolitic scumbag ;)

You could always wait till he's leaving work late one night, put on a ski mask, slip up behind him with a sawed-off hockey stick and beat him like a rented mule. :mellow:

Then before you leave him in a quivering heap, ask him:

"Where's your messiah now?" :fdevil:

Of course, I am kidding. :HaHa:

But admit it - that's what we'd all like to do to this fundy shithook. Too bad we can't

(smiles quietly, pulls out her rune bag, aims southeast)

More than one way to deal with this excrement, mon ami. Cover!! :D

But admit it - that's what we'd all like to do to this fundy shithook.
Your suggestion was much better than mine, AGF.

Yours was far too loving. :Hmm:

I really can't add to the excellent advice that most have given here, but I just wanted to offer you my sympathies, DW. This should have never happened to you. I'm so sorry. :(

oh it is, but this being a right to fire state, unless he outright told me that he was firing me because of my religious belief, and i had a witness to that.. i have nothing.

i forgot to mention that he is a raging born again fundy

Don't let that fact stop you. They still can't fire you for religious reasons. You have Federal law on your side (Equal Op Act is one, but there are probably others as well).

Check with your state's employment office first and if you can't get any info there, go to the ACLU. I think you have a legitimate case.

it would be a major loss of money and time to take him to court. the fact of the matter is, it would never work. simply because that isn't the given reason why i was fired. i just know it to be a personal vendetta. i did absolutely nothing to get fired, as far as company rule goes.

I hope you reconsider this:

First, the ACLU will likely defend you for free. If you win, which I think you should, you will receive 3x missed wages and potentially damages on top of that.

You may think you don't have a case, but let a lawyer tell you that before deciding. If others ran and got slapped on the wrists while you got fired, there is a clear example of how you were treated differently for your beliefs. There may be more to it than you are letting on, or have even yet thought about as well. You owe it to yourself and it would be a big contribution to the atheist community.

First let me say that I support any companies right to fire who they wish. BUT who they fire reflects on their values as a company -- which some if not most are morally bankrupt and bad companies to begin with.

Don't go to the ACLU, there about as evil and corrupt as the "fundies" who fire atheists.

But take it from me, the worst thing you can do is make them look bad through the media. Because if you sue and the media hears about it, it's going to be "ATHEISTS WHINES ABOUT LOSING JOB AND NOW SUES FOR MONEY" and make you look really bad. But if you dial up or e-mail all you local media affliants and they run the story about an atheist who was fired for petty reasons and begans to question things going on at your work place... then the company will look bad.

They will have a bad PR which for most companies now-a-days is worsing than losing profits. Especially if the story gets wind of the big stations, papers and websites.

Even call up FOX news and show them the other side, since they love showing Christians being discriminated against. If they are "fair and balanced" at all they will listen to your story.

But i'll say it again, sueing will get you know where and may acutally hurt you financially as well as paint the picture for the local community of an atheist who is out to do harm.

Report it to the media and then find yourself alot better job. I have alot of sympathy for you I was fired from my first job and your story sounds almost exactly like mine, besides the atheist part. But you see mine has a happy ending because a few months after I got fired the guys business colasped and he went into extreme bankruptcy... last I checked he never recorved.

There is justice in the world. Irrational people or companies always get fucked over in the end. :grin: