Goodbye Jesus

1 Day = 100o Years

Guest Reesa

Hi guys.. Hey does it really say in the bible that 1 day is equal to 1000 years. i know moses wrote it but i cant find any other info on it. Wasnt moses writing about that flood at the time he wrote that,? He wasnt actually talking about the creation o the earth?..

This has been thrown in my face.. and im not sure how to answer it..

Thanks

Yes. Peter says that in the last days there will be scoffers, and they will ask where is the Lord? He has not come yet! But be aware that a day is like a thousand years to the Lord.

Or something like that.

I thought it was mentioned early in the OT somewhere.

It's just a play on words to make up an excuse for the ridiculous six-day creation period and to cover up why Jesus hasn't come back yet.

the quote originated in Psalm 90:1,3-4. This passage seems to be alluding to the long life or possible immortality (power) of God.

2 Peter 3:8 picked up the quote, alluding to God's patience in not yet judging the world with its sinners.

alot of fundies, like here try to make these two verses into an end times formula for making general predictions or to explain the "Long Age" theory of creationism ... but making a metaphysical connection between the two is totally a reach.

• 3 weeks later...

He's dead and he's not coming back. When was the last time a dead man came back? Sounds pretty bizzare.

It's probably in the Gospel of Matthew or something.

Guest dualaces123

Just to verify, Christians (I am one) do believe what Crunk Bishop has said.

The quotation originates in Psalm 90:4 where the psalmist says "For a thousand years in Your sight are like yesterday when it passes,by, or as a watch in the night." Peter uses the concept to respond to those who were mocking Christians because Christ had not returned. And lastly, there are some wackos who use it to try to predict when exactly Jesus will come back. However, doing so betrays the very Bible they believe because Jesus himself says that none know the day or hour except the father.

Hopefully that addresses your question.

-mike

I always took it as if it was there to try to give an impression of God being omnipresent. The figures themselves were arbitary. That it was to illustrate in a way the readers could understand that God lived in a place of timelessness.

Guest dualaces123

I think the two concepts are somewhat closesly related, but I do not think that either the Psalmist nor Peter is attempting to teach the omnipresence of God, and therefore I would probably not use these passages if I wanted to teach that position. Then again, not all Christians agree with me, and so I am sure that it is more than likely that you have heard that taught before.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1,000 years deal is used for the earth as well..Fundies say earth is now 6,000 years old and ie 6 days and the last 1,000 years is when Jesus will come a rule..Of course most of this comes from isolated passages in the OT..Christians love to use isolated passages and can really prove anything..Like the one about giving to the storehouse..to prove tithing...When Christians do this to me anymore..I can have a field day....

Also note the book of Revalation was almost thrown out of the cannon and people like the reformers "Luther, Calvin" didnt think it was inspired..Also it was never refered to by any early church followers....Food for though you Christians who like to wait for the RaptureTM :Wendywhatever: