Buried Alive

OK, let me start by saying that I think that the jesus character is just that, a character. I seriously doubt he ever existed at all, but I will admit the evidence is so scarce in either direction that it could have been based on a real person(s).

Anyway, I bought a book yesterday at Barnes& Noble entitled "Buried Alive: the History of our most primal fear" (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780760781814&itm=7) I've only read into the preface a bit, but it starts off by saying how it has only been since the advent of the modern era of medicine (1900) that we have been able to accuratly tell if someone is dead or not, and how many of our texts by Galen and such discuss how difficult it was for them to actually tell if someone was dead, and these early doctors would warn of pronouncing death too soon in their writings.

Not to mention that in antiquity, hardly anyone actually had a doctor present during their final illness, and even if they did, he usually pronounced death "emminent", collected his fee, and then high tailed it out of there, leaving the family to actually decide when death has occured. This is why so many cultures have traditions of wakes, where the dead are layed out for days and watched over by family, they would actually wait for the body to begin to decompose so they would be sure.

So it got me thinking last night that if so many people were thought dead and later "recovered" within a few days (the book states 1 in 10 were mistaken dead :eek: ), how likely is it that a similar thing may have happened to jesus? Obviously, having nails thru your arms makes it very likely you would bleed out, but how sure are we that the crucifiction actually happened? What if he was hanged? Or stoned? The whole thing could have been started from a "recovery" from death, and the crucifiction story added later to make it seem more miracle-like than recovering from a "normal" death. Or, if jesus really was on the cross for such a short time, could his wounds have clotted and prevented him from bleeding out?

Or was I just thinking too much last night? :twitch: I know there are "jesus didn't die" theories out there, but they usually take the slant that it was a conspiracy of sorts. I'm saying more like it was an honest mistake that they thought he was dead.

I"ve heard that hanging all of one's weight from the arms would cause the lungs to work overtime, and eventually give out because the diaphragm would weaken, fluid would fill the lungs, prompting death. That is what I was told in church by a Christian MD. *rolls eyes*

But I have often wondered the same thing, and unless someone were willing to undergo an experiment and hang themselves on a cross as Jesus was, we won't really know.