Goodbye Jesus

Do You Believe There Is A God Or Creator Or Supreme Being?

WakingUp

For those that have deconverted from christianity, I know there are many places to land. Agnostic, Aetheist, Pantheist, and everything in between. Though I no longer believe Jesus was "god's son" and that the Bible is inerrant(see it more as a collection of stories told in the light of understanding that the people of that day had), I have trouble letting go of the Creator idea. I don't necessarily think this "Creator" has anything to do with us on a daily basis, other than everything around us is part of the Creator. This is just where I am right now...not sure where I'll end up.

I am a spiritual person in that I see/think about things that are beyond reality or what we can see with our eyes. I love yoga, meditation, nature, etc... I consider those interests spiritual. I'm trying to figure out where God/Creator fits into my spiritual life. Maybe I will come to a place where I don't need that but maybe not.

In my previous question, I explored how Jesus does/doesn't factor into your life.

Now I'm asking "How does God/Creator factor into your life?"

Also, do you consider yourself "spiritual" thought you are not longer Christian/Religious?

Thanks,

WakingUp

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Legion

• Jubilant

• Skankboy

• Lycorth

No.

I believe in a creative energy from which all things come. I DO NOT believe that god is a person, or that there is a HE who is personal.

So that when I talk to myself. I am talking to god, because having come from that field of energy, I am part of god, and as such, I also own the creative energy.

But this energy, force, or source of all things, does not care for acknowledgement, or worship or anything of the like.

From my point of view, atheists are more spiritual than most people, because:

(1) They use their brain and think for themselves;therefore, putting into practice their god nature;

(2) They concentrate in being happy and nothing else; which is what I think we should all do;

(3) They do not trust in prayers or supernatural beings. They trust in themselves, which is PLENTY; There is no telling about all the things a person who trusts him/herself can create or accomplish.

Someone has said that if there is a god, she would want us to live as if there is none. Isn't that what Jesus promoted? To be like the flowers and the birds. They don't worry. They just ARE.

So I am trying TO BE. For TO BE isn't the question. It is the answer.

No. I don't see a point in believing in a supreme being. What would be the point?

I practice paganism but consider myself an atheist for the following reason:

I love paganism. I love the holidays, the ritual, the mythology, everything about it. I do not, however, think the deities are invisible people in the sky who know or care what any of us puny Earthlings do. The deities are metaphors. Teachings tools for explaining concepts in a way that is more personal and easier to relate to.

I do believe that there is some kind of energy in the universe, and that it's possible to tap into it. I don't believe that the energy is intelligent. I think of it as being like a river. The river is very useful, you can divert it to water your crops, but the river doesn't know or care how or even if you use it. The river doesn't know it's being diverted, it has no opinion about your intended use of it, and it certainly won't divert itself just because you asked nicely. If you try to divert the river without any knowledge of irrigation techniques or any of the other things you need to know when diverting rivers for irrigation, it's entirely possible that you'll fuck it up and flood your field, destroying your entire crop. As such, the river is not something to be taken for granted.

Of course, I also always remember that it's entirely possible that I'm wrong. I have no evidence for this belief, which is why I make no attempt to convince anyone else that it's true. Years of thought and study have led me to this particular belief, and it makes sense to me. I know better than to get offended if it doesn't make sense to anyone else.

Yes, but differently defined.

I would call "God" to be that force without form that lies at the heart of all living things.

When I invoke the name of the Gods in ritual, I see it as a way of acknowledging some aspect of Deity/God. I do believe that I have the capability to tap into that Force to invoke change in some manner. However I do NOT think that God needs to be glorified in the Christian sense-- i.e. worshipped in some slavish, blubbering manner. To go out and do good things is the best way of honoring Deity.

Call me a Pagan mystic, or Pagan lightworker.

For those that have deconverted from christianity, I know there are many places to land. Agnostic, Aetheist, Pantheist, and everything in between. Though I no longer believe Jesus was "god's son" and that the Bible is inerrant(see it more as a collection of stories told in the light of understanding that the people of that day had), I have trouble letting go of the Creator idea. I don't necessarily think this "Creator" has anything to do with us on a daily basis, other than everything around us is part of the Creator. This is just where I am right now...not sure where I'll end up.

I am a spiritual person in that I see/think about things that are beyond reality or what we can see with our eyes. I love yoga, meditation, nature, etc... I consider those interests spiritual. I'm trying to figure out where God/Creator fits into my spiritual life. Maybe I will come to a place where I don't need that but maybe not.

In my previous question, I explored how Jesus does/doesn't factor into your life.

Also, do you consider yourself "spiritual" thought you are not longer Christian/Religious?

Thanks,

WakingUp

For ages and ages......I was in the 'don't know' bucket..........I tried to keep an open mind and all that stuff....

but now I'm a proudly hard nosed....I don't for a minute believe in the super natural.

anyway...my main reason to reply...is that you seem in a good place to me.....don't rush it...its a process.

One thing I had to do to ensure I was 'safe'....was catch up on some bibble study and learn how to bat off the buggers who make it their lifes work to change my mind.

I don't like that one bit....I guess thats what has helped me to get to the place I'm at.

I see the proof.....in the way xian's are not 'changed' by the salvation experience....not sudden 'better'....or full of light.....or whatever else the bullshit has to offer....

I like the idea of paganism.....but I don't think that can be 'practised'.....in a formal manner. Its part of my humanity.

NO

I do not believe in anything now unless it hits me in the back of the head like a brick. I use to believe in a gawd. Then I believed in a satan. I have never seen a soul come out of a person when they died(accept on TV) or have I met anyone who has lived forever(eternity).

I am an Ateist and I have to agree with Lorena above. Since I have came all the way out of the closet as an Atheist I try to enjoy every day I live.

I believe I can learn a lot from other people and I hope others can learn from my mistakes to make the world a better place.

As for the whole creator thing I believe that we create our own future and the future of our world depends on what WE teach people now in hopes that the world will grow to be better than now when WE are no longer here.

Can I consider the universe god? I dwell within it, it created life, and it has always existed (imploding and re expanding itself). If I can then yes. If you don't consider the universe a possible god then no I have no reason to believe in one.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: HELL no.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: HELL no.

Even longer answer: Oh hell no.

No. There's no need for gods except in human psychology. We created them in our own image.

Probably too soon for me to be answering this, but I'll give it a shot. I still have a foot in the door of my old fundy church, but the foot outside the door has all my weight on it.

I've come to see that the Bible is not at all the clear revelation of God that I once believed it to be, that I wanted it to be. I think it's clear that whatever being or force that created this world has deemed not to reveal itself to us. I don't think I'd ever be able to call myself an athiest, because who can honestly say for sure? It seems like a pretty extreme position to me, and I've had as much extremism as I can handle. I don't see the point in seeking another religion, it's all mythology and I've had enough of it for now. I guess that makes me an agnostic.

From my point of view, atheists are more spiritual than most people, because:

(1) They use their brain and think for themselves;therefore, putting into practice their god nature;

(2) They concentrate in being happy and nothing else; which is what I think we should all do;

Does that one work in reverse so that if a person makes being happy at all costs the focus of life, he/she is automatically an atheist?

If so, then maybe I can just stop trying to figure out what I believe about God. I believe that I owe it to myself to be happy at all costs. Not at the expense of the happiness of others where legitimate. I won't cater to those who think they have a right to a blissful hereafter without worries that I'm not with them.

Me, I like pantheism sometimes (or panentheism or monism if you prefer). Good ethical imperative... treat the universe and yourself well because all is "God."

But I'm not a supernaturalist...

but if I wuz... YHWH is the man. On my side, smitting my enemies!!! so awesome. :grin:

too bad none of that is really true.

I'm a deist. I believe in a Creator but, given the size and scale of the universe, it seems unlikely It would desire any kind of worship or personal involvment with me. Since I see no evidence for a personal god, there's not much to distinguish where I stand from the atheist except in matters of abstract philosophy.

For me it doesn't matter. If there is one, it won't care if I believe in it or not. Sure, it would be nice if our consciousness continues to exist after we die, which is why I would want there to be something. Although, I do highly doubt it.

Sure, it would be nice if our consciousness continues to exist after we die, which is why I would want there to be something.

Really, these are two different issues.

If there is a Creator, it doesn't necessarily mean that being gives enough of a shit about us to preserve our consciousness when we die.

If there isn't a Creator, it doesn't necessarily mean there isn't something more to our consciousness than brain chemistry and that something might survive the transition of death.

Not all deists believe in a hereafter. I've known at least one atheist who says he believes in reincarnation.

I don't believe there is a supreme being of any kind because, to me, it seem an unnecessary complication of things. Deity is the ego projected outward, nothing more. That's why people find/create gods that reflect their own beliefs, not the other way around.

IMOHO,

:thanks:

Sometimes I have days when I hope there's a higher power of some kind....but one that's much kinder and more benevolent than biblegod.

I don't know whether I believe there is one. Hoping there's a higher power is not the same thing as believing there's a higher power.

I like some things about Deism and Taoism. I've also been known to say that "God" is the power of love.

A lot of you said things I liked. Quotarama here:

Lorena Rodriguez:

I believe in a creative energy from which all things come. I DO NOT believe that god is a person, or that there is a HE who is personal.

So that when I talk to myself. I am talking to god, because having come from that field of energy, I am part of god, and as such, I also own the creative energy.

But this energy, force, or source of all things, does not care for acknowledgement, or worship or anything of the like.

greygirl:

I love paganism. I love the holidays, the ritual, the mythology, everything about it....I do believe that there is some kind of energy in the universe, and that it's possible to tap into it.

Taylork45:

Can I consider the universe god? I dwell within it, it created life, and it has always existed (imploding and re expanding itself). If I can then yes. If you don't consider the universe a possible god then no I have no reason to believe in one.

Hi WU,

From the evidence I've seen so far I think the chance that there's a supernatural "creator" is very low.

I don't buy the common argument that there is so much complexity in the universe that it must have been designed by some entity. That just leads to the question of who designed the creator. After all, wouldn't the creator be a very complex being himself if he was able to design such a complex universe?

Hello friends..I donot believe in God..bible or personal..but I do believe that there is a force or energy that threw everything together..big bang or whatever. I think about this a lot when I observe things around me. Many believers that I know cannot accept the fact that they evolve from simple life form (pond slime or whatever) they cling to the "great designer". Me, I think the real wonder or miracle is that we did evolve from pond slime and that we are what we are right now..as inperfect as we are ( well some of us) . That is my 2 cents..

Nope. While I'm no expert on the laws of physics, they seem to explain all my questions about how the universe works. Everything in the scientific explanations works for me, why complicate it more?

I believe in the Tao, but I don't think of it as a personal god...its just the natural force of nature that we all have to contend with.

Guest Ravenholm

Thanks,

WakingUp

There very well could be. Just because the Christian god is a crock of shit, doesnt mean there isnt room for some other god, maybe a huge, all encompasing cosmic energy or something.

The existence of a supreme being to me is just an idea. A mythological one. I personally believe that there is no real explanation to the beginnings of our existence. I think...it just always existed the way it did.

It's like a cycle that just continues to repeat and somewhat grow.