Goodbye Jesus

I Give Up

Darkside

Thanks for the links, R.S. (in your post and in your sig). I'll check them out.

Holy shit R.S. Martin, what did you do, go and write up that Post-cult after effect website just to address what I'm going through right now??? When I was a Christian and I heard a sermon that seemed to address exactly what my problem was, that was enough for me to ascribe it to the working of the holy spirit in my life, so using the same logic, this must be from god himself! Thanks! :)

Holy shit R.S. Martin, what did you do, go and write up that Post-cult after effect website just to address what I'm going through right now??? When I was a Christian and I heard a sermon that seemed to address exactly what my problem was, that was enough for me to ascribe it to the working of the holy spirit in my life, so using the same logic, this must be from god himself! Thanks! :)

Yup, God helps us deconvert--or that part of the mind that we used to think was god. And if paganism works for you, go for it!

No I did not write up that Post-Cult site. I'm still learning the stuff myself. I googled for Stockholm Syndrome. Didn't find what I was looking for but found that one and thought it might be helpful. Glad you like it. :)

As you will discover, I wrote up most of the stuff in my sig, though not all.

Honestly, this religion is the biggest mind fuck imaginable.

And that is because it's source ~ the Bible ~ is nothing but one big clusterfuck of contradictions, absurdities and just plain flat out bullshit. There's no way a rational person can make any sense of it, because it doesn't make sense. And Christians know it doesn't either, that's why they've formed thousands of denominations of Christianity and nobody can agree on what it says.

I was brought up a Christian as a child and held onto it for most of my adult life so I know it's not easy to break free from. But wha'ts the alternative? Live a lie and believe something was true that my intellect knows full well is a crock? I couldn't do it....

One thing that I'm not sure I saw specifically addressed, but went through during my deconversion...still happening, BTW...is that I still wanted to want to go to church, I wanted to talk to these people and being in that community made me feel similar to how I used to before I started deconverting.

What finally helped me was realizing that what I was yearning for was community and acceptance, where all the rituals and inside jokes and rules are understood, where simply by being in that community I was accepted and worthy. There was also the double edged sword of feeling so alone when I stepped out in my non-christianity, that going back to something I disagreed with mentally felt so comfortingly familiar that I accepted the compromise of my values and beliefs in favor of having people to talk to.

so I too am one who is utterly grateful for the ex-christian website....

:grin:

You can't reason with a Christian from "scripture." They have an answer for everything. To the below argument, they'd probably say that Jesus is the eternal Word of God and the Bible is the written Word of God, inspired directly by the Eternal Word, so everything in the Bible should be taken as coming straight from the mouth of Jesus himself.

I know the Christian reply to all this... there is a way that seems right to a man, and the end thereof is the way of death... but if that's true, if God really wants me to believe (and, pardon the expression, God know I've tried!) then he at least needs to explain himself clearly! Trying to figure it out from the Bible is impossible

You've just pinned the problem directly between the eyes, Darkside. The Christian will quote the bible, which was written and invented by men - all on their own, mind you - to undermine your ability to actually speak and reason for yourself. Reason and individuality are poison to a religion that thrives on ignorance and fear. The next time a Christian quotes scripture that says you shouldn't think and reason for yourself, ask them to point you to the actual scriptures where Jesus said that. And then, ask him to show you the scripture where Jesus ever, even once, told anyone to write down anything he said. The book is a manmade thing that people worship, and they are no better than any other idol worshippers.

Hang in there!

Rob

My advice wasn't meant for you to use to try to convince them of anything - it was for you to process for yourself. At some point, each of us has to make a decision, and live in one world or the other - not both. I also don't agree that intellect isn't a powerful tool to get free of the programming - it's really the best tool you have at your disposal. All of the battles here are the human intellect vs the suspension of intellect. The intensity of the struggle has to do with how deeply the hooks were set.