Goodbye Jesus

Purpose Of Prayer?

garrisonjj

A lifetime of prayer for me has gained negligible results for the things that were most important to me.

If god is all powerful and all knowing, why does he need my worship and adoration?

Prayer is really begging. Did any of you receive what you prayed for. No. Its your hard work and determination that "answers prayers."

So in essence, for me ,prayer was fucking talking to yourself. Opinions?

ifucking talking to yourself is a good enough ! :HaHa:

ibut seeing as thou' you asked.....for my opinion...some praying is for the specific purpose of engaging in a communial kind of 'brainwashing'...I'm reluctant to use that word. Perhaps...a display similar to how the animals behave at the zoo or in the wild to gain attention of a potential mate....

Speaking in tongues - what can I say. A thought stopping exercise.

another angle...or round about purpose.....is to get people into 'special' places to pray - to church or half way around the world.....in front of a wall?

It seems 'god' is not all that Omnipresence after all! :HaHa:

KOTEL4.jpgsource

ifucking talking to yourself is a good enough ! :HaHa:

ibut seeing as thou' you asked.....for my opinion...some praying is for the specific purpose of engaging in a communial kind of 'brainwashing'...I'm reluctant to use that word. Perhaps...a display similar to how the animals behave at the zoo or in the wild to gain attention of a potential mate....

Speaking in tongues - what can I say. A thought stopping exercise.

another angle...or round about purpose.....is to get people into 'special' places to pray - to church or half way around the world.....in front of a wall?

It seems 'god' is not all that Omnipresence after all! :HaHa:

KOTEL4.jpgsource

As if the fuckin wall is going to answer him!

i remember back, when i first begin questioning that shit in church. i was 15 at the time, and i recall people praying for stuff, and i noticed how one-sided these prayers were. they never prayed for anyone else, just only their family and friends. that led to me to think, that praying must be the form of kissing a diety's ass, if it had one,lol. seriously, praying in the xtian sense, is begging to me, and i refuse to beg something that is so beneath me.

A lifetime of prayer for me has gained negligible results for the things that were most important to me.

If god is all powerful and all knowing, why does he need my worship and adoration?

Prayer is really begging. Did any of you receive what you prayed for. No. Its your hard work and determination that "answers prayers."

Simply answer: Love. Does your girl friend or guy or significant other love you just because you hand them presents all the time? Suppose you fell into hard times and you couldn't give them anything? Would he/she stop loving you? Well that would suck. I wouldn't call that true love at all. How do they or you express your love? Worship, praise, prayer and adoration is loving God in return. For me it's not about kissing His ass.

I love you, Lord, but not because

I hope for heaven thereby,

nor yet for fear that loving not

I might for ever die;

but for that You did all the world

upon the cross embrace;

for us did bear the nails and spear,

and manifold disgrace,

and griefs and torments numberless,

and sweat of agony;

even death itself; and all for one

who was Your enemy.

Then why, most loving Jesus Christ,

should I not love YOU well,

not for the sake of winning heaven,

nor any fear of hell;

not with the hope of gaining aught,

nor seeking a reward;

but as You have loved me,

O ever loving Lord!

E'en so I love You and will love,

and in thy praise will sing,

solely because thou are my God

and my eternal King.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Words: Spanish, seventeenth century;

trans. Edward Caswall (1814-1878);

adapt. Percy Dearmer (1867-1936), alt.

You could love my fuckin cock Amy!

Simply answer: Love. Does your girl friend or guy or significant other love you just because you hand them presents all the time? Suppose you fell into hard times and you couldn't give them anything? Would he/she stop loving you? Well that would suck. I wouldn't call that true love at all. How do they or you express your love? Worship, praise, prayer and adoration is loving God in return. For me it's not about kissing His ass.

I love you, Lord, but not because

I hope for heaven thereby,

nor yet for fear that loving not

I might for ever die;

but for that You did all the world

upon the cross embrace;

for us did bear the nails and spear,

and manifold disgrace,

and griefs and torments numberless,

and sweat of agony;

even death itself; and all for one

who was Your enemy.

Then why, most loving Jesus Christ,

should I not love YOU well,

not for the sake of winning heaven,

nor any fear of hell;

not with the hope of gaining aught,

nor seeking a reward;

but as You have loved me,

O ever loving Lord!

E'en so I love You and will love,

and in thy praise will sing,

solely because thou are my God

and my eternal King.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Words: Spanish, seventeenth century;

trans. Edward Caswall (1814-1878);

adapt. Percy Dearmer (1867-1936), alt.

You could love my fuckin cock Amy!

With a reply like that I guess you weren't serious about wanting to know other peoples opinions unless, of course, they have a good anti-God rant. Why bother asking then? You should have stated in your post, "I only want like minded people to reply." and then I wouldn't have responded.

That reply makes sense Amy. I am sorry. After all, I believed for most of my life. Just accept that rant as frustration to prayers unanswered by imaginary beings.

I actually prayed that I would meet the right woman. I actually had a list of things I wanted in a woman, and also some specifics when it came to how I wanted things to start so I would know pretty quickly whether she was the right one.

I got exactly what I asked for. Which was a real bugger, because some of the things I asked for I regretted later. lol. I ended up marrying her a year later.

For years I truly believed that God has put us together, that she was the one God wanted for me. And we just seemed to have so many confirmations that we thought it just had to be God. For many years I always looked on that one answer to prayer as something real from God. It kept my faith strong.

But 11 years later we split up. A good innings sure, but for a match that God put together it was actually quite short. Hell we had major issues to deal with after one year of marriage and probably should have ended it then. But you know... we believed God would work things out. So we stuck at it as any good Christian couple should. Forgiveness and all that jazz....

About a year after we split, I felt God was bringing me and a new partner together. We had similar confirmations. Further more this woman was once again my new ideal woman. She had ticks next to all the things I wanted. A little too perfect. We believed God had drawn us together. But that relationship ended pretty early on with no chance of it ever working out. Thjat was when I really realised that God had never answered my prayers at all. I was just kidding myself.

I realised the qualities I was asking for in a woman were really qualities most would have anyway. (and I also realised there was no such thing as the perfect woman/relationship).

I realised that I had found my wife myself, through a little bit of effort, not because God brought her along my path. I also found out that God does nothing to help Christian couples and that if you want the relationship to survive, you have to put the effort into it, not God.

I couldn't understand why we needed to pray. God was supposed to know everthing before we did it.

Prayers, prayers, prayers, arrrgh!

Honestly, prayers (unless in a carathic, blasphemous manner) is some of the most annoying things religion in general gave us!

I only prayed five times in my life that was geniune.

All the prayers got their reply back, "No."

I never really prayed again.

The only prayers that goes out from me nowadays are ultra blasphemous and sarastic.

The purpose of prayers is to make you look like a lunatic and to secretly annoy me at the same time.

If a school tries to have me pray, I'd do it but in a sarastic manner or blasphemy depending on the mood.

Other than that, I don't shove my views on prayers in their religious throats and bums.

:grin:

If "God's will be done" regardless of what we really want, then why bother to pray?

Sure, maybe it helps to say your thoughts out loud. But you could do that without praying.

Some people say that prayer helps sick people get well. IMHO, it's the care and attention from other people that helps.

If "God's will be done" regardless of what we really want, then why bother to pray?

Agreed. So let's just figure out what we REALLY want and go ahead and do it.

Personally, figuring out what I want usually proves difficult, since I spent so many years believing that the lord was in control.

But I am always getting better at figuring IT out.

I think that prayer is just another form of goal setting. If you set a goal to win the lotto you won't achieve it. Same with prayer. If you set a goal to find your keys, then you might achieve it. Same with prayer. Goal setting like prayer changes your focus, so in that sense it may actually have some external effects.

Prayer for me is a chance for me to get in touch with Diety and to commune with the Divine. It's not about ass kissing or begging for stuff I want. It's a personal and sacred connection, and it leaves me contented, whole, and with direction in my life. That's the purpose of prayer for me.

When I was a Christian, I asked my youth leader the same question. He said, "Think of him like a Dad. In order to keep your relationship going with him, you have to talk with him. Prayer is not just asking for things, but talking with God. Yes, God knows what you pray for before you pray, but the purpose is to have a relationship with him... But, if you never pray it because you figure God knows you would ask for it anyways, then you won't get an answer." ... Not that I would get an answer if I prayed anyways. :Hmm:

Prayer for me is a chance for me to get in touch with Diety and to commune with the Divine. It's not about ass kissing or begging for stuff I want. It's a personal and sacred connection, and it leaves me contented, whole, and with direction in my life. That's the purpose of prayer for me.

Do you still pray Kurari?

I still do. But I do not pray to anyone. I pray to myself.

I say affirmations that help me believe I can do stuff, like "I can stay calm during stressful situations."

Basically, I am trying to reprogram my mind to think confident thoughts.

When I was a christian and I prayed:

- I worshipped god;

- I begged for forgiveness;

- I asked for things, if it was the will of god.

As an ex-christian when I pray:

- I forgive myself;

- I recognize the immense value I have just for being a human being;

- I declare my ability to do things based on being a capable person.

Note: I do not believe everybody should do what I do. I am not preaching my praying style to anyone. I am only saying what I do in case it helps anyone.

Very interesting, if praying is indeed communication then god most certainly doesn't communicate back. I wasn't interested in having a relationship with a silent deity. I deal with things on my own, then again I always have dealt with life on my own since god never really did exist except in my own imagination.

Well communicating one-way is no good wo why communicating at all?

Very well put Kurari! I could not have said it better. Thank you!

Thanks Amy. :)

I say affirmations that help me believe I can do stuff, like "I can stay calm during stressful situations."

- I worshipped god;

- I forgive myself;

Note: I do not believe everybody should do what I do. I am not preaching my praying style to anyone. I am only saying what I do in case it helps anyone.

Yes, I still pray. I don't find Diety to be silent for me. I don't subjigate myself, give up part of myself, obey any religious rules, ever feel I can slight God, or expect God to do things for me. I don't work through God, God works through me. I'm the only one who's "in charge" of my life.

It's hard to explain, but the feeling I get when I pray is like connecting with something else that's warm and alive. Kind of like how when you hug and talk to a loved one and you feel better because you're with another person that understands and cares about you (except it's a lot more deep). I've made myself feel better without praying to God, and it feels different when I do that than when I connect to Spirit.

Very well put Kurari! I could not have said it better. Thank you!

Thanks Amy. :)

- I worshipped god;

- I forgive myself;

Yes, I still pray. I don't find Diety to be silent for me. I don't subjigate myself, give up part of myself, obey any religious rules, ever feel I can slight God, or expect God to do things for me. I don't work through God, God works through me. I'm the only one who's "in charge" of my life.

It's hard to explain, but the feeling I get when I pray is like connecting with something else that's warm and alive. Kind of like how when you hug and talk to a loved one and you feel better because you're with another person that understands and cares about you (except it's a lot more deep). I've made myself feel better without praying to God, and it feels different when I do that than when I connect to Spirit.

By all means then, continue to pray. we all need to connect with something else that's warm and alive. What a beautiful response.

I can relate to this ...although i can't say I pray much because my definition of God is pretty hazy these days. But I still think there is something in it --- its like affirming to yourself that your deepest desires are good, that there is good in you and others and the world

Some quotes I have found helpful are

Prayer is the soul's sincere desire, Unuttered or expressed.

God’s first language is silence. Silence is magic. Beautiful things happen in the quiet.

By all means then, continue to pray. we all need to connect with something else that's warm and alive. What a beautiful response.

Thanks, Garrison. :)

I want to know the difference between 'wishingful thinking'......and thinking you are 'connecting to something warm and alive'.? (yeah right....*hehe*)

Okay...so if I don't 'pray' what are the odds of "something" happening anyway....?.....yep I can 100% guarantee that... :HaHa:

Third point....there is no point asking 'you' people who believe in an interventionist god or whatever, for proof...because you make it up as you go along.

speaking of an interventionist god....

seems like there are a shit load of different gods on this thread....& good luck all of you!

(so you think your fucking inner thoughts can effect the world)....fuck that's a hoot :HaHa:

I 'd like to challenge that.........but I'm not holding my breath.

I want to know the difference between 'wishingful thinking'......and thinking you are 'connecting to something warm and alive'.? (yeah right....*hehe*)

Okay...so if I don't 'pray' what are the odds of "something" happening anyway....?.....yep I can 100% guarantee that... :HaHa:

Third point....there is no point asking 'you' people who believe in an interventionist god or whatever, for proof...because you make it up as you go along.

speaking of an interventionist god....

seems like there are a shit load of different gods on this thread....& good luck all of you!

(so you think your fucking inner thoughts can effect the world)....fuck that's a hoot :HaHa:

I 'd like to challenge that.........but I'm not holding my breath.

*Pats you on the head and offers you a cookie* That's nice, dear.

[

Thankyou god! I feel very connected to your 'spirit' now!....& its not really hard to explain.

I read gods love shining through your "humble" offering....

what is it....a HOLY COOKIE!

Thankyou god! I feel very connected to your 'spirit' now!....& its not really hard to explain.

Chocolate tends to do that. :HaHa:

I read gods love shining through your "humble" offering....

Really? I'll have to start selling these things on Ebay then. Lemme know if you find Jesus in a potato chip, wouldja? In the meantime, have another cookie, courtesy of "you people." :)

what is it....a HOLY COOKIE!

Chocolate Chip is THE Communion Wafer....along with Fortune Cookies....and Animal Crackers stuck together so they look like they're humping each other...

I bake the Darkside's cookies! Mua ha ha ha ha! :pureevil: