Goodbye Jesus

Strange Situation

xrayman7040

Last night I got a call from a family member saying my beloved aunt had suffered a major heart attack. It's reflex even for the folks who have never set foot in church to start praying in a situation like that. It was so wierd not quite knowing what to do with my thoughts now that I have found the truth. Part of me wanted to just start praying away because I love my aunt very much, but I refrained. My wife even said to me, "Bill could you at least say a prayer for you aunt?" I just shook my head.

Well despite the fact that I did not say a prayer, I got a call this morning from my dad who said that my aunt didn't have a heart attack after all. It was probably a serious reaction to a new medication. Despite the fact I did not pray things are looking good.

What do you do other non believers do with their thoughts duruing situations like this? It was wierd not praying. It really was.

I remember my first time..and there were many others after too. The urge to "do something" is what seems to motivate prayer in a situation where you really can't do anything.

Over time, that reflex has left. Its not that I don't want to do something, but now, I do. Something constructive, that is, if its feasable. If its not feasable, then I do nothing.

In the case of your aunt, the only thing perhaps you could do, is visit her at the hospital, assuming that was possible. As you can see, your lack of prayer was not detrimental. Of course, those who were praying would probably say "Thank God!" instead of "damn doctors prescribing stupid meds"..

Its not that I don't get upset/emotional over things anymore either. But, when a stressful situation arises that in the past would have led to immediate prayer, I first take a deep breath..then just think of that word in my siggy (which, when this current period of stress is over I am going to remove it)

Yeah, I know, its a Hindu/yoga thing..but, it helps to calm my racing thoughts..the saying of the sound helps to regulate my breathing, which leads to clearer thinking and allowing me to do something..or nothing, as the case warrants.

It allows me the "serenity" without asking god to "grant" it.. :HaHa:

I had a headon collision and lost a year of work. This was the first time I didn't pray for anything. I guess my surrvival made it easier not to jump into prayer for others. I heard nothing fails like prayer, and that has been experience.