Goodbye Jesus

Prayer Helps No One

Ramen666

This is has to deal with my testimony and I was told by a fundie God helps people. Sure "God" does. This thread is for all of you to post incidents where prayer didn't work. Show examples of events, crisis and even make a fundie question his believes. Show that there is no such thing.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott

• Antlerman

• Kuroikaze

• Ramen666

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I found out too little, too late that prayer didn't work. I'd pray about things in my life. One prime example was about xian god's will for my life, I took myself out of college for that, my whole life revolved around xianity, and I realized that xian god wasn't helping me at all.

My life was passing me by. It made me angry to realize that none of it was real. That it was all fake.

Only thing that ever helped me was getting off my ass and changing things on my own, amazing how much you can accomplish just by getting your tush off the couch.

I have had instances where I felt that something divine had intervened after I prayed; there is more detail to that in my testimony. However, there are things that I prayed for on a daily basis when I considered myself a Christian, such as the dissolution of my mother's marriage to my mentally-abusive stepfather. It eventually did happen, six years after the fact. For me, some prayers worked, some didn't.

This is has to deal with my testimony and I was told by a fundie God helps people. Sure "God" does. This thread is for all of you to post incidents where prayer didn't work. Show examples of events, crisis and even make a fundie question his believes. Show that there is no such thing.

How is it possible that you can think that prayer helps no one, when you don't know everyone? I have experienced God's power, even His power to Salvation, His love, and His mercy. One time, there was a tornado heading in our direction, toward our house. Me, my mom, and my sister prayed together that the tornado would be cast into the sea, without hurting anyone. We turned on the news, and the whether man described what happened to the tornado, and it is just what we prayed for. That is just one of the things I have witnessed the Lord do.

Okay, where's the Christian icon....

Scott you have to be joking right? A tornado? Why not the people in Hurricane Katrina? From a report listen and read what I say carefully.

A family says we prayed that the storm would miss our town The storm comes by and misses that town. However the storm destroys a town nearby. The family boasts about how God was watching out for them.

Now Scott answer this what about the destroyed town, who's familys are destroyed and everything lost? See what I am saying it's just dumb luck.

I don't believe in luck. I believe everything happens for a reason, and everything is in God's hands. I cannot say why God allows some things to happen, but it is a matter of faith. There is no luck.

I don't believe in luck. I believe everything happens for a reason, and everything is in God's hands. I cannot say why God allows some things to happen, but it is a matter of faith. There is no luck.

You just summed up about five fundy cliches in one paragraph! :grin:

So when I made that final appeal to jesus and...well no need repeating that story yet again...nevertheless here I am... Prayer does work!

mwc

How is it possible that you can think that prayer helps no one, when you don't know everyone? I have experienced God's power, even His power to Salvation, His love, and His mercy. One time, there was a tornado heading in our direction, toward our house. Me, my mom, and my sister prayed together that the tornado would be cast into the sea, without hurting anyone. We turned on the news, and the whether man described what happened to the tornado, and it is just what we prayed for. That is just one of the things I have witnessed the Lord do.

icon8.gif

Guess you're the chosen ones, and all the exc's here must have fucked up in trying to find "god" and truth. But hey good for you, someone must have gotten things "right" - carry on.

*glares at heaping pile of oral shit dropped by Scott*

Every damn time. Every single time. Without fail.

No sooner do you get the cat box cleaned, someone has to come along and make a deposit.

The cat box for the Lion's Den is HUGE.....and we'd just cleaned it.

Oh well...... :shrug:

*glares at heaping pile of oral shit dropped by Scott*

Wow, that's maturity...

Scott, you think its mature to come here and attack people for their non-belief in god and fairy tales? Get over yourself.

When did I ever attack anyone?

It has to do with your general attitude towards us. Our experience is that its all chance and that prayer does absolutely nothing to with your chance of good or bad things happening to you. Of course if you feel that prayer DOES help then your welcome to that belief...I couldn't care less what you believe

....but to just show up and spout some cliches that we have all heard about 10 billion times and expect a positive reaction is just silly. If you have any proof that prayer works, that doesn't amount to some unprovable anictdote then provide it...otherwise your just going to have to accept that our opinion differs from yours.

I've been geniunely praying to God a lot lately (and have prayed in the past) to give me a fresh touch of his holy spirit, or to give me peace or to give me a sence of his presence. So far zip.

Perhaps it's God's will huh? Nothing to worry about, it's all in God's hands. I guess he's quite happy for me to become an Athiest

You'd think that if there was no such thing as luck, only Christians would ever win lotteries, or at least those financial blessings would go to people who deserve it or would do something positive with it. But that is not usually the case.

I've learnt that there is such thing as luck. Not everything happens for a reason. Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people - it's just the way things are. God set certain processes in place and what ever happens happens. It a guy gets bowled over by a car, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. If an earthquake hits a city and destroys it completely and thousands are killed, it was just nature in action and terribly bad luck for those people in the city. If you pray for a tornado to go away and it happens to go away, you were just darn lucky. If you apply for your dream job and you get it, it's because of the effort you put in to getting that job.

We are responsible for our own destiny. It's taken me more than 30 years, but I've learnt it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Why yes, yes Scott, you are correct. I used to pray that god would help me get good grades. And sure enough, I was compelled to study and good grades I did receive. Glory!

And your tornado incident... Wow! Christians claim that god can answer prayer in three ways: Yes, no, and wait a while. Those answers surely apply well to random probabilities such as the path of a tornado. Again: Glory!

But why is it he won't regrow a lost limb? Even a pinky will do. It would sure go a long way in soothing my aching doubts. Why is it that he ALWAYS answers no to this request? Why is that Scott? Why???? :scratch:

Oh that's so wonderful! Since He so clearly listened to you, your mom, and your sister and there was no way possible the tornado's diversion had anything to do with completely normal, natural causes, then why didn't you guys get God to care about the thousands of people in New Orleans, or was God judging them because of their tolerance of gays?

Since there are more gays in San Francisco and God didn't drop a hurricane on them, I'm going to assume you failed to pray and are responsible for all the misery in New Orleans. After all, if you have enough faith, you can move mountains and "cast them into the sea". Couldn't be god's failure, so you must have either not cared enough to pray, or you didn't have enough faith that time. You are responsible for this since you are so cleary able to divert tonados with your prayers.

Care to reconsider the miracle of this?

Actually, strangely enough I agree with you. Everything happens for a reason. The world is nothing but cause and effect. There is a reason why the tornado formed. It has to do with air currents. There is a reason the tornado disappated, it has to do with air currents. Where I disagree with you is that there is a specific super-being's mental intentions driving natural events to occur, favoring some, disfavoring others. That's just stupid.

Be prepared to be called every name in the book and to be labeled a fool, looney, stupid etc.
Go back and click on the link that I posted. If you can't do anything about the content of that thread with your "simple" and "beautiful" Faith™, then you are a "fool, looney, stupid etc."

And you have to have a thick skin. Be prepared to be called every name in the book and to be labeled a fool, looney, stupid etc.

And then if a member rises up in your defense and dishes it right back in a language that the ruffians understand don't be surprised if this thread is locked.

Let no one discourage your simple faith. It's beautiful!

your accusations are rude, when have we ever locked thread on you? I can't think of a single one...I thought lying was imoral :ugh: your the one who keeps saying your leaving and then staying...your being dishonest and trying to villify us...some christian you are.

Simple is just a way of saying you bury your head in the sand...maybe that works for you, but I can't live like that.

Be prepared to be called every name in the book and to be labeled a fool, looney, stupid etc.

But, then you can say you've been persecuted for the Lord, and your star will shine brighter in Heaven -- which should more than make up for your utter inability to convert the meanies on this ex-Christian website. GLORY! :lmao:

Oh, and SINCE you are so concerned with the rules for this section, then you should know that we allow just about ANYTHING from Christians in the lions den, all the way to evangelism. However, we CLEARY warned you to expect harsh replies.

If you can't take harsh replies then leave...its not really that hard. If your still here then don't blame us.

You want to talk about harsh treatment? How about this, I have been told by christian, to my face, that I was possessed by a demon, that I worshiped Satan, that I hated god.... None of those things are true but they say them anyway.

Christians don't seem much concerned for my emotional well being or my happiness, so why should I be concerned for theirs?

Actually, strangely enough I agree with you. Everything happens for a reason. The world is nothing but cause and effect. There is a reason why the tornado formed. It has to do with air currents. There is a reason the tornado disappated, it has to do with air currents. Where I disagree with you is that there is a specific super-being's mental intentions driving natural events to occur, favoring some, disfavoring others. That's just stupid.

Not only is it stupid, it would speak of a horrific destructive nature of that entity.

And Amy, why are you so angry and bitter? Why do you hate the Flying Spaghetti Monster so much. Don't you know that he cares for you and loooooooves you sooo sooo much?

your accusations are rude, when have we ever locked thread on you?

Bruce locked a thread she had been participating on. I think it had more to do with the fact that he saw a flame war about to break open completely unrelated to Amy and the discussion that she was attempting to dominate.