Goodbye Jesus

Brainwashing

Guest Praise Jebus

Guest Praise Jebus

Hi guys,

If there is one thing that has disturbed me most as an atheist, it is the apparent "knowledge" of my christian friends and their arrogance towards evolution. Believe it or not, as a child I scuffed at the idea of evolution. "Monkeys! HA, I cant believe people could say we came from them" These words were actually my common belief, and I was sure of them, and the fact that 2 years ago I was spouting that scares me even more. But the most disturbing fact is that because I was raised as a christian, I still have the thought in my mind that because i have left "God", I am doomed. Why is this one might ask? The answer is incredibly simple, Brainwashing.

Brainwashing is entirely evident in any christian, for the sheer fact that they are sure evolution is wrong, not because the evidence is lacking for it (there is, of course, loads of evidence for it), but because it conflicts with what they have been told since childhood is absolute truth. In a recent debate with my friends, which they started, I mentioned that if they see the universe as 6000 years old, then how can we see light from stars millions of light years away? There answer was disturbing, and they basically stated that perhaps the starts are moving away from us because of sin, and even touched on the "theory" that the speed of light has slowed down. This of course is absolute hogwash, and the fact that my friends believe in such lies yet think that I am the disturbed one, pains me to see.

I therefore put forth the Idea, and what seems like the evidence for it, that religion is deadly, manipulative, and dangerous. If something can cause you to doubt scientific FACTS, then something is wrong. And in this, one must wounder, what happens when the christians gain more control? My guess is, a modern dark age, and the suppression of science.

I think we have to put this in terms that they can't misunderstand. the harder it is for them to worm out of an understanding, the harder it will be to corrupt others.

What kind of xians were you associating with, the apostolic assembly of the holy strait-jacket?

Look..to be fair, there are a lot of christians out there who believe in evolution, accept that the genesis creation story is just an old myth, that jesus wasn't born of a virgin, etc. They just don't get much attention, unlike the rabid fundies who if they weren't so dangerous can be quite entertaining. Just like that explanation that the stars are leaving us behind because we're so sinful. :lmao:

That was a good one...

A new xian dark age? It wouldn't be the first one...

Look..to be fair, there are a lot of christians out there who believe in evolution, accept that the genesis creation story is just an old myth, that jesus wasn't born of a virgin, etc.

I would argue that moderate Christianity makes even less sense than Fundamentalism.

Some questions I would ask these moderate Christians:

The Bible is "The Word of God" but it's not always right?

You acknowledge that the stories about Adam and Eve, the flood, the tower of Babel, etc. are myths but the story of Jesus really happened? Isn't this like saying that the Green Lantern is just a comic book character but Superman is a true story? (special thanks to Robert Price). What do you base that on? If one is mythology, how can you be sure the other isn't?

You think that hell is real but you shouldn't make a big deal about it? The souls of everyone you love and care about are at stake but you should let them find their own way?

I submit that there are only two possibilities about the Bible:

1. It is the Word of God

2. It is not the Word of God.

There is no "sorta kinda the Word of God". It either is the absolute Truth, universal and timeless, totally flawless and inerrant, or it is human mythology and nothing more.

A new xian dark age? It wouldn't be the first one...

Indeed, when Christianity dominated politics, it was called The Dark Ages.

When Christianity's stranglehold on science was finally broken, it was called The Age of Englightenment.

On further reflection:

Arguing with a Fundamentalist is like assaulting a fortress. They've shut themselves off from reason and it's hard to get any facts past their guard.

Arguing with a moderate Christian is like playing "Wack-a-Mole". They're here. Now there over there. Now there over there... They're everywhere and nowhere. You can't debate them because you can't pin them down on anything.

Arguing with a moderate Christian is like playing "Wack-a-Mole". They're here. Now there over there. Now there over there... They're everywhere and nowhere. You can't debate them because you can't pin them down on anything.

True, but it's so much fun when you actually get a WHACK in on one. :grin: