Goodbye Jesus

My journal...of sorts

bob

My journey through the minefield of religious fundamentalism.

• Admin

Excellent story.

"Study to show thyself approved" should be "study and you will eventually find the truth." The real truth that is.

Thanks for posting this.

Bob, I appreciated this, a great read and very instructive.

If you feel like answering:

who is/was Don, and what happened that led you to be so spiritually revived after your talk with him, yet in the next entry almost a year later, you're close to giving up n x-tianity?

Some of the stuff you talk about sounds like mid-life issues I've been going through. How much was due to your slow realization that Christianity was false, and how much to stuff that happens to people in their forties and fifties? Maybe there's no way to answer this, but I'm just wondering.

Again, thanks for sharing your experiences. Isn't it true that enough detail about one person's experience usually hits stuff that's universal?

Bob, I appreciated this, a great read and very instructive. 

If you feel like answering:

who is/was Don, and what happened that led you to be so spiritually revived after your talk with him...

Don was a Baptist evangelist friend of mine. I really looked up to him (literally and figuratively...he was 6'9", I am 5'6"). As far as I can remember, we just spent the day together, me telling him of my spiritual condition, him trying to advise me.

yet in the next entry almost a year later, you're close to giving up n x-tianity?
Funny huh? That in it's self is the main reason I gave up my faith. It just was not working. I could not find happiness in Christianity. I spent most of my time feeling guilty over my shortcomings.

Some of the stuff you talk about sounds like mid-life issues I've been going through.
I was in my late twenties when I started to experience doubts. It lasted on until my devoncersion in my early forties.

How much was due to your slow realization that Christianity was false, and how much to stuff that happens to people in their forties and fifties?  Maybe there's no way to answer this, but I'm just wondering.
I am sure maturity, more than age, was a factor. But, I honestly think the biggest contributor was the simple fact that I was tired. Tired of feeling bad about myself all the time. I am a nice guy. I go out of my way to help people. I experience severe remorse if I say or do something to hurt someone. So, as a fundamentalist, not being able to overcome sin, I was hurting Jesus all day, every day. I was just plain miserable. All because of that little three letter word...sin.

What was the eye opener for me was, after talking to a long lost girlfriend several years ago about her faith, and my backslidden condition, I was very distraught. In despair, I typed "faith" in a web search engine. After looking at several links, I cam to Dan Barkers "Freedom from Religion Foundation" website. After reading some of his excerpts from his book, "Losing Faith in Faith", and jumping from link to link, I found my answer.

I had never before even considered that there actually may not be a god. I was completely at peace, for the first time in 25 years.

Again, thanks for sharing your experiences.  Isn't it true that enough detail about one person's experience usually hits stuff that's universal?
Yes indeed. Thanks for reading ficino.