Goodbye Jesus

Famous Ex-christians

The Sage Nabooru

Ex-Christians of all colors.

So far, I can only think of:

Alanis Morissette

Sheryl Crow (who, incidentally, in the mid-80's, attended the superchurch I live about fifteen minutes away from)

Neale Donald Walsch

Tori Amos

Possibles:

Marilyn Manson - attended Christian school, but it appears his parents only sent him there because it was supposed to offer a better education, and voluntarily pulled him out of it when he told them he didn't want to go anymore.

Katie Holmes - we still have no definitive proof that she's not under Scientology house arrest against her will. Seems suspicious.

Jon Krakauer--noted investigative journalist, author of Under the Banner of Heaven, an account of the Fundie Mormons out west.

Voltaire---satirist and doubter, one of the funniest Frenchmen ever to exist

Friedrich Nietzsche: from a line of 5 Lutheran preachers

Wasn't Trent Reznor raised protestant?

Macaulay Culkin

Some more:

Kate Capshaw - not a member of the list to be particularly proud of; she was raised Catholic, allowed Steven Spielberg to have sex with her and was subsequently given a totally undeserved role in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Converted to Judaism to marry Spielberg.

Also, George Lucas, although I'm not sure of how much of a Christian he ever was. Might have just been a cultural thing.

I think the most famous ex-Christian was Sam Kennison.

Jessica Hahn (wasn't she dating Sam Kennison :rotfl: after her Playboy thang?)

would also Charles Darwin be considered an ex-Christian? i always heard growing up that he turned back to Christianity on his deathbed but that's not really true... i'm pretty sure he died agnostic.

Che Guevara, Pancho Villa, Fidel Castro, Emperor Julian, John Lennon, George Harrison, Mark Twain

John Paul Satre. He even blasphemed the HS.

Robert Ingersoll was the son of a presbyterian minister, IIRC.

The NeoPlatonic philosopher Porphyry deconverted from Christianity.

Ted Turner grew up a Baptist.

I love Alanis Morisette. Even cooler to know she's EX-C :)

Ben Franklin. He was raised an Episcopalian but eventually became a Deist.

Enya was raised Catholic, but I seem to recall that she gave it up awhile back, though honestly I can't back that up.

That's all I can come up with for now.

Charles Templeton and Dan Barker are two famous ex-Christians.

To the OP: I thought Neale Donald Walsch was a Christian. Not so?

To the OP: I thought Neale Donald Walsch was a Christian. Not so?

Nope, not anymore. He wrote Conversations With God as a person seeking answers about some Christian doctrines, which "God" pretty much chewed up and spit back out again. Of course if you ask him now, he's a real hippie type, and he'll probably say, "Oh, yes, I'm a Christian, and a Hindu, and a Buddhist, and a Muslim, and a Jew....." or something of that nature.

Che Guevara, Pancho Villa, Fidel Castro, Emperor Julian, John Lennon, George Harrison, Mark Twain

I don't think any of The Beatles were brought up very religiously, though. I'm talking about the kind of people who believed with at least some degree of sincerity, struggled with the faith, and eventually gave it up.

I love Alanis Morisette. Even cooler to know she's EX-C

Me too :)

aren't most scientologists ex-Christians from some cloth?

aren't most scientologists ex-Christians from some cloth?

Perhaps...but scientology is not a step up from christianity...at least as far as I can see.

Perhaps...but scientology is not a step up from christianity...at least as far as I can see.

That's a very good point! In fact I venture to say it might very well be a step down.....

I keep wanting to say Sinead O'Connor, but I know she was ordained by a renegade Catholic group that allowed women into the priesthood not too entirely long ago, so I'm not totally sure.

Ludovic Kennedy

Douglas Adams

Bob Dylan

Cat Stevens (actually, I dunno if that counts because he became a Muslim)

• 6 years later...

Bob Dylan was born Jewish,,,,

his real name is Robert Zimmerman  and  he converted to xianity wrote Ya Gotta Serve Somebody...and then went back to some form of Judaism... 

Personally, Im waiting for Amy Grant to see the light...