Goodbye Jesus

Teh Mezziuh!

Nihil

Goodbye Jesus

My irony-meter just exploded. In my pants.

False messiahs

I had to read the link to appreciate your comment. I fully agree.

Time to get a new irony meter (friggin' whack-jobs).

mwc

When I was a Christian, my church taught that various false messiahs were almost invariably Catholics; JPII was a common one, along with saints, including Francis of Assisi (whom you just can't hate, even if you aren't Christian, unless you are one bitter old fart).

Personally I felt that it was Muhammad at the time.

Then I realized that the world's been supposed to be ending since Jesus's own time. If you read Revelation and get a good copy of the Good Book with good notes, you'll realize that at the time it was being written, the evil characters and false messiahs were supposed to be Roman emperors. In the Middle Ages (when everybody knew the world was going to end during the year 1000), it was anybody who didn't agree with the church and managed to get some devoted followers. During the Age of Enlightenment, it was popular philosophers skeptical of Christian doctrine. In the 1800's it was the Mormons and more Popes, and now it's Krishna, Europe and The Beatles.

Every single one of these end-times believers had solid, unshakable proof that the world was going to end and Armageddon was coming in A.D. 68, 666, 1000, 1290, 1506, 1666, 1720, 1898, 1969, 2000, 2008, 2012, and next Tuesday. Some even used computers to write out little codes that proved their dates, which is strange, considering that when the Gospels were written computers didn't exist.

It's so singlarly rediculous and laughable when you look at it from the outside. Just about anybody who isn't a member of whatever local megachurch's pastor's posse is the Antichrist and false messiah. Want to talk about false messiahs - how 'bout that Unification Church? Dear God, that false messiah has more money than Bill Gates and the Chinese economy put together. And weirder interfaces and trade agreements than either of them.

I don't see why they have such a problem with Jesus coming back? He's back, and now they complain? So he's not Jesus then?

It only shows that if Jesus existed and did come back, no one of his followers would believe it was him. They can't know. They just really can't know if this guy is Jesus or not, or anyone else.

Consider too if this Jesus dude started to do miracles, the Christians would claim he's doing it with the help of demons. So in the end, Jesus can not come back, because no Christians could believe it. Jesus would lose all the rest of the few "True Christians" left, and no one would go to Heaven.

If any member here have an account to post on TFN, please put a post like "But... He is Jesus. Why don't you believe? Don't blaspheme the Holy Spirit, or you will go to Hell!"