Goodbye Jesus

Evidence For The Bible As The Word Of God?

Scott

HanSolo, I'm curious how your concept would change if there was a transition from a 'god' out there, to a 'god' within us. And the process of acquiring the information/knowledge, from and through ourself, is part of the procedure to gain a 'self' empowerment, which seems to me to be a better gift.

Sounds like some form of Buddhism and/or Gnosticism. :) Would it be something like the only knowledge we have of the divine would be through personal experience? I wouldn't argue against that. Especially now when I'm learning more about Buddhism. My argument earlier was generally more to how we would know about the 3*omni-God. But the key is that if I can only know about God through my own experience of God, and what he can show me, then the Judeo/Christian tripple-O God failed, not me, and I don't deserve punishment for it. I don't punish my kids for breaking a certain rule I didn't teach them properly. If I don't say anything about the kids not being allowed to take the cake in the fridge, or if I don't put a note on the door, then I can't expect them to know my will. Also, if I had gotten a divorce when the kids where born, and I never made contact with them, I wouldn't expect them to know me, trust me or know my will. I have to make myself physically present, and intensively make them aware of my will. And I wouldn't have my neighbor write a book about my rules and will for them either, and have the neighbor kids teach my kids what my rules are. I'm expected (by society) to tell them myself and instill it into them.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• roman

• Crunk Bishop

• Scott

The Bible doesn't just say "This is the Word of God". This is a phrase like the Trinity or the Rapture. While their names are not mentioned, they are described. The same goes here.

All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Please define what does scripture mean, since currently there are 8 different kind of biblical canon in the world.

Is this refering to the Old Testament? because at the time this was written there was no NT around.

Sounds like some form of Buddhism and/or Gnosticism. :) Would it be something like the only knowledge we have of the divine would be through personal experience? I wouldn't argue against that. Especially now when I'm learning more about Buddhism.

HanSolo, I think the character of Jesus is considered more Buddhist than anything else. If you look at these teachings, it says that 'god' is in us, and we can identify this part by what we hold sacred, and best for us and others. IMO, god has to work through us. Our process of learning to make decisions that are victorious can be very self empowering. The statement, ye too are gods, seems to be a thrust into a self proficient teaching... such as many atheists promote.

My argument earlier was generally more to how we would know about the 3*omni-God. But the key is that if I can only know about God through my own experience of God, and what he can show me, then the Judeo/Christian tripple-O God failed, not me, and I don't deserve punishment for it.

I have read somewhere where the Buddhist believe there is the 'power' of 'god', the 'consciousness' of 'god', and the 'divine rapture' of 'god'. I liken this to the father, the son, and the holy spirit. There is no magic, no supernatural, no hocus pocus. hehe Of course there needs to be NO punishment either! The natural reprecussions are punishment enough! :phew:

Sometimes the best way for our kids to learn, is to let them fall and get back up.

And I wouldn't have my neighbor write a book about my rules and will for them either, and have the neighbor kids teach my kids what my rules are. I'm expected (by society) to tell them myself and instill it into them.

Why is there something wrong with a group of people who seek to embody a 'truth,' that sincerely try to identify what is to be held sacred? The problem, IMHO, is when others hijack their work and use it to achieve their own selfish agenda, which people have done throughout written history, and do today. It seems to me, to take critical minded people to get it back on track. That also seems to me to be what the initial movement back then was trying to do with the OT... as the people on this site are also ushering in now with the OT and NT. Don't you think it's time to filter out the spin, or should we just have a whole new book too? :wicked:

Scotty,

You claim the Christian Bible is the "only word of god". How can you possibly believe this to be true, when the same Bible you base your belief on specifically says what the word is? Hint: according the Bible, the Bible is not the word of god.

Gospel of John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God. 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

Now Scotty, the Bible says the Word is Jesus. Yet if Jesus is the Word of God, then the Bible is not. Which is it? Is the word Jesus or the compiled Bible. If it is the Bible, why does the Bible say the word is Jesus? Which Bible, the Catholic version, the Coptic one, the Protestant one, the apocrypha?

Bruce

*snickers* imagining Scotty's head spinning trying to resolve the logical paradox of an insane religion.

Now Scotty, the Bible says the Word is Jesus. Yet if Jesus is the Word of God, then the Bible is not. Which is it? Is the word Jesus or the compiled Bible. If it is the Bible, why does the Bible say the word is Jesus? Which Bible, the Catholic version, the Coptic one, the Protestant one, the apocrypha?

Bruce

*snickers* imagining Scotty's head spinning trying to resolve the logical paradox of an insane religion.

The fullness of God's holy revelation culminated in the direct inspiration of the King James Version translations. All other versions of scripture are *heresy*, and those who worked on such versions, and those who use them are in danger of eternal damnation! It says plainly in the inside cover that it is "The Authorized Version", authorized by God himself. To be willfully ignorant of these clearly written words on the page is to mock God and risk your eternal soul!

HanSolo, I think the character of Jesus is considered more Buddhist than anything else.

It's funny. I remember you mentioning this before, months ago, and sincerely I couldn't really understand what you meant. But I understand it a bit better today after hearing more about the origin of the Bible and also teachings of some Buddhist schools. And I see you can definitely find some grains of Buddhist teachings and correlations of different kinds in the Bible. For instance there is a similar motif that you have to die from yourself to become something new. (Which I believe I did through my apostasy.)

If you look at these teachings, it says that 'god' is in us, and we can identify this part by what we hold sacred, and best for us and others. IMO, god has to work through us. Our process of learning to make decisions that are victorious can be very self empowering. The statement, ye too are gods, seems to be a thrust into a self proficient teaching... such as many atheists promote.

And/or God(s) can't experience because he/they are innate and fixed (unchangeable), and needed physical bodies and minds to experience and learn something new

Why is there something wrong with a group of people who seek to embody a 'truth,' that sincerely try to identify what is to be held sacred? The problem, IMHO, is when others hijack their work and use it to achieve their own selfish agenda, which people have done throughout written history, and do today. It seems to me, to take critical minded people to get it back on track. That also seems to me to be what the initial movement back then was trying to do with the OT... as the people on this site are also ushering in now with the OT and NT.

Agree.

Don't you think it's time to filter out the spin, or should we just have a whole new book too?

Only danger with that is a "book" or a structure of faith always falls into pray of the "wicked" and will result in corrupted teachings.

Society and culture is like the "kids learning to walk" example you gave. We're doomed to keep on failing. Humanity culture and society is born and dies all the time. Each generation tries to walk, but falls and have to stand up again, but many of them never learn to walk correctly, because there are no parents to help each new societal generation to get the basics correctly.

Unfortunately a majority of people do not think, and don't want to reason or challenge knowledge or ideas. Only a few people control the ideas and the culture, and the rest only follow along willingly. So books of any kind will be used by the few to control the many.

www.amazingbible.com

Amazing Bible, eh? It is indeed an amazing collection of contradictions, absurdities, atrocities, myths, fables, and nonhistorical "history". Glory!

I clicked on the links, Piprus.

No, Open_Minded, the Bible is the only Word of God.

I have a question for all of you. I have been studying Scripture & Prophecy for a long time. How is it that many prophesies {such as Israel becoming a nation in 1948} have been fulfilled? Of course, many prophesies will come in the future, but how do you explain the fulfilled prophesies? How do you esplain the events of today's world happening as prophecy said it would in exact detail?

Another question, and this is not meant to be a joke of any kind. Why is it, that people in today's world say that they have had visions of Jesus Christ {Not to be confused with dreams}? I know of three people who had these visions and I'm one of them. So tell me, how do you explain this?

See the links on this page, Scott:

http://www.religionisbullshit.org/bible_prophecy.html

:eek::eek::eek:

Aaugh!

Bro Jeff!!! Your avatar looks like that guy just before he blew up in 'Big Trouble in Little China!'

Ack!

Aaugh!

Bro Jeff!!! Your avatar looks like that guy just before he blew up in 'Big Trouble in Little China!'

Ack!

Okay, I changed it. Is the new avatar any better? :grin:

The same person came on the Unexplained Mysteries Spirtitual and Skeptics forum and posted the same crap and never answered the Moderators when they asked for a link....Just another Christian Troll - Heimdall :yellow:

Aaugh!

Ack!

AAAAAAAAAGGHH!!!!

:twitch:

Scary!!

*hides under desk*

The same person came on the Unexplained Mysteries Spirtitual and Skeptics forum and posted the same crap and never answered the Moderators when they asked for a link....Just another Christian Troll - Heimdall :yellow:

<_<

Figures. Just another punk kid aching for the days christians were "persecuted" (usually by other christians....but 'don't tell Scotty, Scotty doesn't know.' ;P [EuroTrip movie reference])

There are two choices in this scenario.

The first is...

No, I'm sorry, it's just too convoluted to want to look at for any extended period of time. So no it's not much better and I would love it if you could find something a bit more appealing.

The second...

AAAA!!!!

MY EYES!

MY EYES!!!

It's burns! It's burns us!!!

Okay, is my avatar better now?

Much much much. :)

Much much much. :)

Missed it and wants to know what the other avatars were.

Missed it and wants to know what the other avatars were.

Are you sure you know what you're asking for.