Goodbye Jesus

Of Horses And Halfwit Harebrains...

LadyFeline

Pardon me, I just need to vent for a moment.

My family owns racehorses. Standardbreds, to be exact. We've got three so far - one retired pacer and her only two offspring.

So what about this could possibly have me wanting to kill someone?

Well, dad's "friend" was responsible for training the two yearlings. But, see, the first one he "trained" - mom's gelding - suffered from a torn tendon under this idiot's supervision, due to irresponsible "training" techniques. This meant that he would never race. Ever. And, because dad had him gelded, he can't even go to stud.

And, like the total fucking idiot that my father is, guess who he had training the filly?

Yep. You guessed it - his "friend".

And guess who recently suffered from a bowed tendon that nearly crippled her and has rendered her unable to race, ever?

That's right. Our filly.

Two horses. TWO FUCKING HORSES RUINED by this incompetent fucking imbecile. Two fucking EXPENSIVE horses. That can't race, can't be ridden, can't pull a cart...

I called this. I fucking CALLED IT when I heard that my moronic patriarch had sent the filly to train with his "good buddy". I KNEW he was going to ruin her, just like he ruined her brother.

So, yeah. I'm just a little pissed off, and needing to vent. My patience with things is just really wearing thin right now, and this just rubs my already-raw nerves the wrong way.

...I hope the fucker gets kicked in the head by a horse.

Poor horses. :ugh:

...I hope the fucker gets kicked in the head by a horse.
<Picard>Make it so.</Picard>

Seyla. :fdevil:

TWO FUCKING HORSES RUINED

They were already ruined by your family possessing them for the perverse purpose of running races to amuse humans.

"Ruin" and/or "ruination" are subjective.

They were already ruined by your family possessing them for the perverse purpose of running races to amuse humans.

You obviously know shit-all about horses and horse racing, PETA-whore, so please fuck off. I'm in no mood to deal with retards who come riding in on (proverbial) high horses and presume to lecture me about the "morality" of a harmless sport (which these animals have been bred for hundreds of years to do, and which appeals to an instinct they have had since the advent of their species - to run). I suppose you think that using hunting dogs for hunting "ruins" them, too, eh, fuckwit?

edit: And torn and damaged tendons are not "subjective" damage, fucker. Large animals can be put down for shit like that, because it can cripple them completely. Ergo, a horse - any horse, be it ridden or driven for pleasure, work, or sport - that suffers a torn or bowed tendon is ruined. So get bent. Or go walk up behind a horse and startle it. Maybe then you'll appreciate one of the things those powerful legs were meant to do, even if you fail to appreciate their most important function.

It seems to me that if one doesn't wish to support Ladyfeline at this time, one could simply withhold comment. As she mentioned, these animals have been bred for this purpose, and are probably never happier than when fulfilling this purpose. Two horses are out of commission, and she is understandably upset. I hardly see how allusions to alternate uses and animal activism are helpful or necessary at this point.

Sorry about the horses, Ladyfeline. The trainer is either incompetent or exceedingly unlucky.

Poor things. :(

I hope you guys can "retire" them to a decent life somewhere instead of having to shoot them in their prime. That's sick.

Sorry about the horses, Ladyfeline. The trainer is either incompetent or exceedingly unlucky.

Seeing as how he's done it to two horses in a row, and none of his other "trainees" have had problems, I'm actually quite inclined to believe that he did it on purpose <_< But that's probably just me being paranoid.

Poor things. :(

I hope you guys can "retire" them to a decent life somewhere instead of having to shoot them in their prime. That's sick.

Don't worry. Mom would never stand to have her "babies" shot (would sooner shoot her husband, I think. heh) She spoils those horses so rotten, I swear. I think she loves them more than her own kids :HaHa:

My guess is that the two of them are going to spend the rest of their lives in their home paddock with their mother, and any other horses that may be added to the "herd" in the future.

Lemme play the devil's advocate here:

My inlaws own quarter horses- 20 or so of them depending on time of year and how stuff is selling. In theory, they keep mares and sell colts... though from my point of view they seem to keep mares and keep colts. Anyways, these are well-bred and extremely well cared for creatures.

Now, I don't know much about horses... but I've never seen a more self-destructive animal than a horse. There's rarely ever a time when at least two horses (10% of their 'herd) isn't either sick or injured. These critters will cut themselves on wire, impale themselves on a fallen limb, chase each other into the fence... bite each other, kick each other, get bit by rattlesnakes. It boggles my mind to think that some horses survive in the wild- they must be totally different animals.

So to be fair to your dad's buddy... he's dealing with extremely injury-prone animals here. I wouldn't want that job or the responsibility.

Don't worry. Mom would never stand to have her "babies" shot (would sooner shoot her husband, I think. heh) She spoils those horses so rotten, I swear. I think she loves them more than her own kids :HaHa:

My guess is that the two of them are going to spend the rest of their lives in their home paddock with their mother, and any other horses that may be added to the "herd" in the future.

Whew! Considering how long horses live and how expensive they are to upkeep, there are so many people who'd just rather cut their losses and shoot them than put up with the expense. Sounds like those horses still have some luck after all.

Having to once put my saddle pony down twenty-odd miles from camp, and having then to walk out with a broken ankle and snow falling, downing a friend aint'a no fucking fun.

Hit a hole riding drag, she went down hard, I stayed on, felt her front right make a goddamn hard snapping sound.

She rolled hard on my right side, trapped my big ass under her as we fell into what I think was an old outhouse spot.

Four inches of snow, 20-ish, and blowing hard. Was three o'clock in afternoon, we'd been riding the tail of a herd of cow critters about 500 or so, been on herding and drovering since right at daylight.

She and I were tired and worn from too much side to side work, cows weren't bunching, preferring to run and hit the brush. My dog, Snuffy was on back of saddle, riding with me, he had a hellova hurt leg from a critter kick. He couldn't help, Sadie and I had to find every stray and work them out of the brush.

We worked half a dozen calves, roped them, and tossed them by hand back in to the trail and off to their momma's in the herd.

When she went down, she just relaxed, the wound was an open fracture and she was bleeding out. Even with all my outer clothing and my insulated undies I couldn't stave the flow.

Sadie looked up at me, and shut her eyes, and quit breathing.

Took the .357 Mag out and finished any suffering she might have had, two rounds in her tough little heart.

Having dug out from umder her, pulled off my saddle and blanket, took the bloody clothing and had to don it to prevent freezing. Got a fire going, warned up and with my canteen, rifle, and saddle blanket walked out.

We came back after herd was penned and took care of her remains with shovels and rocks.

Never used that saddle again, its hung at the A Bar J Ranch up high in the barn where even the n00bies won't be able to unscrew it from up in the hay loft.

Aint'a nothing like having to do something that you *know* is 'right'...

LF,

Love and use of a good chunk of smart, intelligent hoss critter is no crime...

Peta_assholes can kiss my southbound end of my northbound saddle sores..

kF, real fucking cowboy for a damn good while, L

As someone who lost a cat to someone's negligence and had to have a goat put down in a similar way, I understand the anger that comes when another person's idiocy causes the death of an animal you hold dear.

That idiot needs to be mauled by bears, then rolled up in oats and honey and given to a herd of horses.

Yo roman..

If you eat anything made of *livestock*, especially cows and sheep gonna let your city.bound.ass know that all that plastic wrapped animal protein you like is eventually worked by someone on hossback..

Stupidass remarks made to Lady Feline about what they elect to do with their critters is something you are welcome to opinionate on, as you have.

Expect those of we who use horses for work and pleasure to lambast your ignorance and willing obtuseness..

k, rode for the boss, FL