Goodbye Jesus

Rapture

bob

Don't know how long

has been around. Sent chills through me...but then, so does some scary movies. Can you imagine how affective this will be on the young and impressionable?

sick video!

too many people got raptured! didn't Jesus say that two would be "doing something" and one would disappear and the other be left behind? (Matthew 24:40-41) in that video there was like a 90% rapture rate... and none of those people looked ready to me, staring at their hands and all while that guy was preaching...

i remember when I was a kid I was terrified of the rapture because i was afraid that all my family and friends would get raptured and that i'd be left behind... so much anxiety over such a dumb idea.

Idealistic idea of it.

It would have been more realistic to not only have more like half the people remaining in the audience....but for the minister to be 'left behind' too.......despite being the one 'sounding the warning'.

And isn't that notion of the rapture a result of extensive extrapolation and assumption based on a few bible verses?

Kind of like how because Onan doean't fill his brother's widow with man juice, and spills in on the ground instead (sounds like 'pulling out' to me) christians have conviniently made that out to be how mastrubation is wrong (nevermind NO mention of taking oneself by the hand).

And isn't that notion of the rapture a result of extensive extrapolation and assumption based on a few bible verses?

yes.

distilled from assorted unrelated passages. the idea of the "secret rapture" probably originated with J.N. Darby back in 19th century england. pretty new idea on the Christian theological front.

Growing up, I never heard of the rapture..it wasn't until Tim LaHeye(sp?) and co..with "Left Behind"..seemed plausible, back then. Until I started fitting it together, and realized the gymnastics required to get to it..

lol, their clothes disapeared too

Well, duh. Don't you know it's, like, a sin to be, like, naked? God doesn't wanna see your naughty bits!

Well................. the acting is truly scary. :eek::HaHa:

It doesn't scare me anymore. It just shows what an asshole Jesus is.

That video is sickening, and 10 years ago that scenario--literally--kept me awake at night. Just thinking of the possibility that I could be seperated from loved ones and left to suffer scared me into the church.

Well, I'm glad I see it for the lie it really is.

I for one wish Christ would come and take the rapture monkeys... I'm sick of dealing with their hysteria and idiotic diatribes.. :loser: How much you wanna bet some of the actors in that film do adult films as well? The acting is a dead give away.. :HaHa:

On a more serious note... this was a huge fear of mine to get over from childhood, I look at it with contempt and disgust. Any gawd that needs to use fear to control is no gawd at all. :Wendywhatever:

Crazy enough....but back when I believed and was a christian......I still WANTED to be 'left behind'. :twitch::crazy:

It's the armchair armaggedonist in me. It's the End of the World? What is the scenario? Gimmie that book! What would I do? How would I live? No....I don't picture myself getting fried in the nuclear blast.....nor do I imagine myself lying stiff in agony on a first aid shelter cot with 85% of my skin gone and spitting out my own bloody teeth while dying of radiation sickness. I picture myself more or less Mad Max-ing my way through post-apocalyptic life. Realistc? Probably not. But that really isn't the point is it?

And I really don't think I'm the only one who has thought that way. The fear is being 'left behind'....but how many people really imagine themselves watching a baseball game...blinking...and finding themselves in heaven with their harp with jebus smiling before them knowing they have naught but peace and bliss before them? Nooooo. The imagining is watching that baseball game and having all the players and half the fans all vanish, and finding oneself 'left behind'.

My sis-in-law emailed me this video today. She wrote "Are you ready? This is pretty powerful stuff." Then the link to the rapture video. I thought it was ironic since I watched the video here last night. She doesn't know anything about my deconversion. Sis-in-law was raised by a Baptist preacher daddy and is very involved in her Baptist church, as well as being the secretary to the pastor. Yikes....I don't know if I can ever tell her.....

I didn't respond to the email.

WakingUp

Isn't christian "love" wonderful?

Our christian relations "love" us soooo much......they want to give us worry, anxiety, and insecurity so WE know just how much they CARE.

No wonder they have no problem loving a version of god that will eternally smite and punish anyone who doesn't love him in return.

Christian love really IS an oxymoron.

Wouldn't there be a bunch of pissed off christians in heaven?

Husband: Wow I'm finally here. It's so beauti....Wait where is my wife

St. Peter: She got left behind what

Husband: Where is my WIFE!

St. Peter: Sir calm down.

Husband: No we said we would spend eternity together

St. Peter: Well she'll probably die during armaggedon. Maybe she'll repent by then.

Husband: What exactly did she do that was wrong?

St. Peter: Well lets see......Hmph she seemed like she cursed last night and forgot to repent.

Husband: What?! That's it! I demand that she be forgiven and you send her back

St. Peter: Sorry doesn't work that way

Husband: What! But she is my life partner. The bible says we are one flesh.

St. Peter: Hmmm your right, I'll send you back down with her

Husband: What! NOOOOOooooo.......(vanishes)

St. Peter: Remember god loves you! Anyone else have any complaints?

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy enough....but back when I believed and was a christian......I still WANTED to be 'left behind'. :twitch::crazy:

It's the armchair armaggedonist in me.

I picture myself more or less Mad Max-ing my way through post-apocalyptic life. Realistc? Probably not. But that really isn't the point is it?

Wow, white_raven, I used to think I was the only person who felt like that. I never believed in the Rapture anyway, but when I thought about it (and on the occasions I still do think about the concept), the image in my own mind has always been of me with a rocket launcher taking out...well, whoever. I guess I've watched too much Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or else I'm harboring a secret desire to play with big guns.

how many people really imagine themselves watching a baseball game...blinking...and finding themselves in heaven with their harp with jebus smiling before them knowing they have naught but peace and bliss before them?

Um, that would be my stepmother. She told me once that the reason she had a valium addiction for years was that she knew she was going to heaven, but she didn't believe my stepbrother and I would be because we weren't pious enough, and it drove her to self-medication. Ta-dah! There you have it, not only will I be "left behind" but it's my fault my stepmother abused drugs!

My sis-in-law emailed me this video today. She wrote "Are you ready? This is pretty powerful stuff." Then the link to the rapture video. I thought it was ironic since I watched the video here last night. She doesn't know anything about my deconversion. Sis-in-law was raised by a Baptist preacher daddy and is very involved in her Baptist church, as well as being the secretary to the pastor. Yikes....I don't know if I can ever tell her.....

I didn't respond to the email.

WakingUp

I think it would be funny if you had someone else respond to the e-mail, telling her that you had suddenly disappeared, leaving the clothes you were wearing in a crumpled heap on the floor, and that several other friends and acquaintances had also disappeared at the same time, apparently leaving SIL behind. OK, I know, I have a weird sense of humor.

BTW, I had never heard of the rapture until the Left Behind series came out. Sounded to me like the craziest thing since snake handling.

I used to be nervous about going on truck trips with my father (a commerical trucker ) because I didn't want him to go poof on me and that huge truck wreck with me in it. Andd for years, whenever I couldn't find my parents, I'd panic because I thought that it was over, that my parents were gone. Nowadays it's more like "Oh, well. Looks like I still have to go to church next week."