Goodbye Jesus

Scott And Atheism

Asimov

Everyone, this is a 1 on 1 discussion regarding my stance on Atheism and my belief system of Objectivist philosophy.

Scott, just to open I'd like to define exactly what I am talking about:

Atheism: The belief that God does not exist. Also phrased as a lack of belief in God. Literally means "no God belief".

Objectivism: Objectivism holds that there is a mind-independent reality, that individuals are in contact with this reality through sensory perception, that they gain knowledge by processing the data of perception using reason or "non-contradictory identification", that the proper moral purpose of one's life is the pursuit of one's own happiness or "rational self-interest", and that the only social system consistent with such a morality is laissez-faire capitalism.

To start, do you have any questions?

Sorry to interupt your topic, I have nothing against the 1-on-1, but I think Colosseum is the better place, since Lions Den is non-moderated. So I'm moving the topic there.

No, Asimov, I don't have any questions.

No, Asimov, I don't have any questions.

Alright then, Scott, what seems to be your main dilemma regarding Atheism? What conflicts do you think arise from not believing in God?

I guess, if you don't believe in God, how do you find life worth living? Do you just live this life, then rot in the ground? You have no one who will "Never leave you nor forsake you". You have nothing to look forward to other than this old world. While I don't like this world {the way it works}, I love the creation. I see the Heavenly Father in His creation, not just some world that no one created and there's no Master Designer behind it all. If God exists, evil exists. It seems people do too many wicked things everyday. Do they think of these things on their own? Or do they have a bit of help, namely, Satan? How do Christians find such peace, and know they have the Holy Spirit living withint them? When we speak about God, we don't say "I think" or I believe", we usually say "I know", because God lets us know we are His children. Not to mention NDEs. Anyway, I'm sure I could think of more, these are just right off the top of my head.

I guess, if you don't believe in God, how do you find life worth living?

Self-worth comes from the self, Scott. The desire to live is a biological function of every animal. The choice to live is a human function. Life is worth living because I want to live it and I have purpose.

Do you just live this life, then rot in the ground?

It's not "just" living life. It's life, full of purpose and reason.

You have no one who will "Never leave you nor forsake you". You have nothing to look forward to other than this old world. While I don't like this world {the way it works}, I love the creation.

I will never leave myself or forsake myself. Devaluing yourself and the world you live in is the first step to making it worse.

If God exists, evil exists.

Non sequiter.

It seems people do too many wicked things everyday. Do they think of these things on their own? Or do they have a bit of help, namely, Satan? How do Christians find such peace, and know they have the Holy Spirit living withint them? When we speak about God, we don't say "I think" or I believe", we usually say "I know", because God lets us know we are His children.

You don't know, that's the problem. What does this have to do with Atheism?

Not to mention NDEs. Anyway, I'm sure I could think of more, these are just right off the top of my head.

NDE's are irrelevant. Well you've only really brought up one dilemma, and that is the dilemma of self-worth. Everyone decides what they're worth is through purpose.

Please don't side-track the discussion JP. This is a 1 on 1 discussion with Scott regarding his problems with Atheism and any questions he might have.

I didn't mean if there were no God I'd commit suicide. Life would just seem kinda pointless.

What purpose do we have if there is no God?

Wouldn't it be better to know that there's God who will never leave you? I don't devalue myself. I do devalue the world {the way it works, not the people in it} because it is opposed to God.

Why do you not believe in God?