Goodbye Jesus

Do People Unaware Of Your Ex-chrisianity Try To Pressure You Into Doing Christian Activities?

bluewizard

Do people unaware of your ex-chrisianity try to pressure you into doing christian activities? I still go to a Southern Baptist church with my family once a week, they're aware I don't believe but there is one woman who was my Sunday school teacher who I gotta hear every Sunday trying to get me to join the Baptist Collegiate Ministry. I just answert ok and act semi-interested, enough to get her to shut up. There's no way in hell I'm joining any religious activities here or go to church, if I was on my own I'd never go backto a church(will be in 4 years anyways :wicked: ). I'd rather join the Church of Satan but I'd rather spend my 200 $ on something better than a membership card until I get a real job .

Do people unaware of your ex-chrisianity try to pressure you into doing christian activities? I still go to a Southern Baptist church with my family once a week, they're aware I don't believe but there is one woman who was my Sunday school teacher who I gotta hear every Sunday trying to get me to join the Baptist Collegiate Ministry.

If your family is aware that you don't believe, then do you really think they wouldn't tell a church member they think you might have some respect for? If your family can't 'guide you back into the fold' it is understandable for them to figure that she could manipulate and influence you more directly. Parents say they respect the individual beliefs of their kids.....but that's only true so long as those beliefs are compatable with their own. If your beliefs are different....they are lying about claiming to respect them. They don't mean to be malicious....they are lying more to themselves than anyone. And don't expect that to change. Ever. No matter how old you get.

Also....we aren't talking some random stranger on the stree coming up to you begging for your to go to the christian bible camp forty miles out of town. You are going to a church. It is reasonable to expect churchites to want to involve what they see as other church goers in church or churchy activities. Try not to take it personally. That's like going to a bar, and getting upset when the bartender asks what you'll have, because you don't drink alcohol. Don't get upset, just get a coke.

Yeah, it's worse when people do know of your disbelief, because they'll try even harder to get you to join. I hate hearing from my folks about some new preacher guy arriving at church and them recommending me to go. It's just a waste of my time and it has always been a waste of my time even while I was a Christian. They were all pretty selfish and uncaring people who just wanted to collect more members without regarding fresh ones. I wish they could just leave me alone. At least my grandparents were smart enough to not get themselves involved in Christianity.

Sure - if they don't know, they don't know. Can't fault them for that. A simple, "Thanks, but that doesn't interest me right now," usually does the trick. *shrugs*

Going to a church on a weekly basis might give people the idea you're still interested...

...just a thought.

Sure - if they don't know, they don't know. Can't fault them for that. A simple, "Thanks, but that doesn't interest me right now," usually does the trick. *shrugs*

Going to a church on a weekly basis might give people the idea you're still interested...

...just a thought.

I just do it as a family tradition activity. After church we go eat with my grandmother somewhere. My Dad even packed a Bible in my luggage bag for college and I took it out and he said"You took the bible out", I said "I didn't have any room to put my cap anywhere. So that bible is lying down in my trunk with another Christian book I took out of my luggage bag. I tried to make it clear to him, I'm not going back to Christianity but he doesn't listen and says well I was hoping you'd hcnage your mind. i get along with my parents on everything except religion.

Queenie is right just say "no thanks" its nothing personal. Well if they're not being forceful about going to church then you don't have to go, why not meet them after the service for lunch and whatever?

Usaully, I just ignore it if it's aimed at a group. Or a simple "No... no I can't make it... or no thanks" is enough. But there were some people from my old church who got really persistent and wouldn't take no for an answer.

So, whenever they asked me to do anything, I would get really cheesy, smile broadly, and say, "You'll see me there!" Or something similar. And then forget it ever happened. When confronted about it, I would say, "Oh, I was joking... couldn't you tell?" And then they'd ask me again and it's the same thing. And eventually they got the clue and would get upset with the answer and I would say, "Fine... I won't go then." And that would just frustrate them again. I love saying yes with absolutely no intention of following through (it's only fair considering everything). People as obnoxious as they are don't deserve a nice respectful answer. I told a friend of mine who was having the same issue with some of them and he's so frustrated with them that he's considering trying it.

Now, either of these methods could lead to a discussion of your beliefs... but they don't have to if you don't want it to. Just steer away if they try.

sounds like maybe your family doesn't take your ex-christianity very seriously... probably think you're just going through a phase that you'll snap out of as long as they don't push too hard.

most people feel more secure if they believe you're christian... group identity/group think etc... so the people in your church are probably not even aware of your religious status and probably don't think about it very much. instead they make safe assumptions about you.

sooner or later, you may have to make a very visible break rather than just playing along if you want to be taken seriously as a non-christian.

when my mom kept asking me to go the church on Christmas with her i finally had to just say "fuck that" and we didn't really speak for awhile, but she's certain now about how I feel.

• 3 weeks later...

Do people unaware of your ex-chrisianity try to pressure you into doing christian activities?

Yes. Example: Where I used to work one of the supervisors kept pestering me to go to her church every day. When I injuried myself on the job she had to rush over and pray for me. I kept getting people asking me about where I went to church or what I did on Sunday. People wanting me to join in on their prayers... I politely said no thanks, but they insisted to know why, so I told them that I don't believe in their god. Needless to say, people at work started becoming more hostile towards me.

Do people unaware of your ex-chrisianity try to pressure you into doing christian activities?

Yes. Example: Where I used to work one of the supervisors kept pestering me to go to her church every day. When I injuried myself on the job she had to rush over and pray for me. I kept getting people asking me about where I went to church or what I did on Sunday. People wanting me to join in on their prayers... I politely said no thanks, but they insisted to know why, so I told them that I don't believe in their god. Needless to say, people at work started becoming more hostile towards me.

i just go to the bathroom during the part when she'd talk to me in the middle of service during the handshaking.

Thus far, no one is aware of my status. However, once I do leave, I know my parents will nag me to no end about visiting the local UPCI church in whatever city I'm living in...and every visit home will have to be scheduled to avoid church, else they'll try to pressure me into wasting hours of my life.

No. I haven't had that problem. I have had family members who were *aware* of my ex-Christian status try to get me to go to church.

If someone unaware of my status tried to get me to do something, I'd just say I wasn't interested or that I had other plans.

I can relate somewhat. I was 15 when I decided it was all bunk. My family was convinced I would grow out of it. It has taken the better part of the last 16 years for them to understand that I am not going back. My mother still tries to get me "back into the fold", but the rest of my family has given it up as a lost cause. I don't give them any hope at all in that area. It is a bit harsh but it was the only way I found to avoid constant hounding. Anyone who isn't aware you definately do not believe it simply is asking the normal questions they would ask other believers. The ones that do know are holding on to you attending church as hope they can save you from eternal damnation or whatever. I agree, at some point you are going to have to make a clean and definate break if you want the pressure to let up.

............I told them that I don't believe in their god. Needless to say, people at work started becoming more hostile towards me.

I have encountered quite a lot of hostillity from the Christians at my place of work. They are all aware that I was once a Catholic and am now a Buddhist priest. I get quite a lot of swearing and smart arse remarks - especially the old "You're gunna go to hell" rubbish.

Funny that most Christians I've encountered/know are aggressive, racist and lie alot. So much for the peace and loving of their religious dribble.

I never get pressured. The people I know just don't care enough to do so. I get invited to church activities sometimes with my christian friends, usually around the holidays. They know I am not christian, but being invited is never used as a ploy to "get me in the fold." If it sounds fun, I'll go and it's just another night out with friends. I can ignore the christianity stuff.

Any and all other times I'm asked about my religous leanings I just say "I consider that a very personal topic and I would rather not discuss it." Most people drop it then. If absolutely necessary, I whip out Mathew 6:6. At the very least, that confuses the hell out of them and gets them wondering long enough if they've somehow inadvertantly sinned long enough for me to slip away.