Who Do You Look Up To Now? Or, Do You Have Any Mentors?

WakingUp

In my fundamentalist Christian life(recently deconverted), I could emulate Jesus and so many others from the Bible. I could follow "The Way" so to speak. I also had all the bible teachers and mentors that knew the answers. Now, I've got to figure things out for myself! hehe In reality, we all are affected for good and bad by others. Hopefully, there are lots of good folks in our life to help us along the way and we help others along the way, too. When you think of someone that is a good example of how to live in love and freedom, who do you think of? I still follow some of the teachings of Jesus but as I've been able to move outside the limited fundamentalist box, I've found there are many others out there worth learning from. Ghandi, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Richard Dawkins, Helen Keller, Mother Theresa and many "feminist" women come to mind. A How about you?

WakingUp

Alanis Morissette

Gautama Buddha

Gandhi

The Dalai Lama

JPII (who did a lot to open up the RC Church, even as the officials below him fought it every step of the way)

John Lennon

Wayne Dyer

This may sound bad but I have never had any mentors or anyone that I looked up to. Well, you know, expect my mom, dad and grandma…who were never religious in the first place. But I admire people. It doesn’t matter their religion, if they’re a genuinely good person who go out of their way to help others, I admire them.

When I was a Christian I was constantly being told that it would be wise to find a mentor but I never liked the idea. I have always figured everything out by myself and didn’t feel the need for some other person to tell me what to do or what to think. I’m still that way.

But...if the Dali Lama was willing to be my private mentor, I'd let him. No problem with that. Hanging out with the Dali Lama :dance:

I've never really been one to have heroes. There are certainly people that I have a considerable amount of respect for.

Names like James Randi and Carl Sagan come to mind.

Mother Theresa does not make my list. While her goals may have been well-intended, the Catholic stand on family planning makes things worse in overpopulated areas rather than better.

I'm afraid that all of my mentors exist in books. Currently I am desperately trying to understand a biologist named Robert Rosen. A brilliant man. His words shimmer on the page. They becon me to understand. Alas I am not yet there. But I will not stop until I can glimpse what it is that he is trying to convey. He has asked the question of questions. "What is life?" And I long to understand.

Man frm backwoods 'Bama named William Michael Kemp.

Man has been my friend and mentor in thigs important to me for most of a decade now.

For those interested in things political do a websearch for "ATF Good Ole Boy Roundup".

Mike and his crew exposed this fucked up Feral, err Federal Cop fuckup. it cost him everything but his life, and damn near that.

As a historical hero and metor, teacher of action and planning, Capt'n Dan Gallery, he headed up the Task Force that took U-505 off the West African Atlantic coast in WW2.

Reading him for years, met him when he was a very old man (soon after he passed at an advanced age), the Admiral was just as fulla shit and spunk as he was as a young man.

Then there are the men and women I've worked with for years doing some of societies dirty work making things right when few others wanted touch same.

kFL

I've never really had any figures to follow persey. Other then my dad who is about the only person I have and still do hero worship. :shrug:

Dare to be your individual self WakingUp. It's a pretty scary thing to face when you've been indoctrinated to emulate and conform to the collective group think, but stepping out of that is extremely liberating. Don't hold back and take the world by the tail. Lead, don't follow :poke: Everyone has something to teach others, and everyone has things to learn. That's my $0.02 anyways

I don't have any mentors or anyone I specifically look up to. Carl Sagan however is one of the people that I can truly admire though.

The more I stand up for what I believe, the more I see parallels between my life and the life of Jesus. Mostly I look for people who live up to my ideals in one way or another. If I see a good example of how to handle a certain issue in life I make a mental note. The same applies to the literature. If I come across something that provides insight on my own life or my search for truth I make a mental note of it. I have never been able to find one favourite author or one perfect mentor. They all had flaws. But by picking and choosing the best parts of people in real life and in the literature I get some idea of how to handle life. That's one reason I read forums like this. I've picked up very many ideas from other ex-Christians on the forums.

I admire:

Socrates for doing right in face of death.

Plato for creating clear thinking.

Abraham Lincoln for defending the union and emancipating the slaves.

George MacDonald for creating hopeful dreams.

Winston Churchill for standing up to Hitler.

Ronald Reagan for standing against the communist tyranny.

I've never looked up to anyone. Nobody has yet been worthy of my respect.