Goodbye Jesus

Is Belief in God Rational?

X-Ray

Is there a "God portion" of the brain? Is there a longing for the spiritual in out genetic make-up?, Or are we just trying to explain that which we do not understand?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some aspect in our genes that made people more skeptical or gullible. I think a lot of it is cultural, though.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• willybilly30

• Ouroboros

• Asimov

• dogmatically_challenged

Until I get solid, proof there is not a creator I will still believe in the possibility.

But you see, that's rather the point isn't it? Believing in the possiblity of a god isn't irrational because of the lack of evidence either way. But asserting that there is a god under these circumstances most certainly is for exactly the same reason.

IMOHO,

:thanks:

104844[/snapback]

If there's a lack of evidence for the existence of a God, then it is more rational to disbelieve.

But think about this, every culture in history, up until the age of enlightenment, has had some kind of religion, god, goddess, spirits, ect. Every one that I read about. So there must be something drawing people to believe

104872[/snapback]

I'm not sure that rationality is quite so relative as you propose. Perhaps the majority of people just refuse for whatever reason to adopt rationality.

The relativity you notice probably has more to do with definitions. For example, you say that you understand the "logic" behind faith. You weren't wrong to state what you stated since logic is commonly used in just that form. Ultimately there is no "logic" behind faith however.

Is their any evidence against the existance of god?

Should you disbelieve anything their isn’t evidence for?

If there's a lack of evidence for the existence of a God, then it is more rational to disbelieve.

104905[/snapback]

Is their any evidence against the existance of god?

Should you disbelieve anything their isn’t evidence for?

It is not required for there to be evidence against the existence of a god.

God is undefined and vague and can be inserted into anything. Take for example, miracles. They are just events in the lives of people, yet are interpreted to be divine.

Take again, for example, evolution. Does evolution disprove a god? No, because one can easily assert that god uses evolution to create new species.

Does gravity disprove god? No, because one can easily assert that God created gravity to hold the planets together.

You should be critical of anything there isn't any evidence for.

That is true.

It is not required for there to be evidence against the existence of a god.

God is undefined and vague and can be inserted into anything. Take for example, miracles. They are just events in the lives of people, yet are interpreted to be divine.

Take again, for example, evolution. Does evolution disprove a god? No, because one can easily assert that god uses evolution to create new species.

Does gravity disprove god? No, because one can easily assert that God created gravity to hold the planets together.

You should be critical of anything there isn't any evidence for.

104923[/snapback]

Good point, Asimov. My former fundy cube mate tried to use that argument on me. He failed miserably.

Asimov:

Indeed.

It is more rational to believe there is no god because of the lack evidence, but not irrational to say their might be one.

There might be an invisible pink unicorn, all of the evidence and lack thereof indicated otherwise, but since it can never be proven conclusively (proving a negative) it's not completely irrational to assert there is one...but I wouldn't recommend it... :HaHa:

IMOHO,

I been seeing a lot about this pink unicorn what’s the story behind it?

I seen it on a few other topics I looked up.

There might be an invisible pink unicorn, all of the evidence and lack thereof indicated otherwise, but since it can never be proven conclusively (proving a negative) it's not completely irrational to assert there is one...but I wouldn't recommend it... :HaHa:

IMOHO,

104977[/snapback]

104980[/snapback]

It's another kind of "religion", and it's the belief in the IPU, or Invisible Pink Unicorn. Search it in Google, and you'll find websites dedicated to it.

We also have Choclatism, the belief in the divine Chocolate Godess.

And then we have FSM, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, which also have website(s) dedicated to him. Even stickers and T-Shirts... (fairly new religion, started this year)

Wikipedia has articles on them

Their parody religions

I have not heard anyone talk about the cult of the cow

Guess he died and became a hamburger

thats a paraody religion i found one time

104980[/snapback]

It's another kind of "religion", and it's the belief in the IPU, or Invisible Pink Unicorn. Search it in Google, and you'll find websites dedicated to it.

We also have Choclatism, the belief in the divine Chocolate Godess.

And then we have FSM, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, which also have website(s) dedicated to him. Even stickers and T-Shirts... (fairly new religion, started this year)

105069[/snapback]

The relativity you notice probably has more to do with definitions.  For example, you say that you understand the "logic" behind faith.  You weren't wrong to state what you stated since logic is commonly used in just that form.  Ultimately there is no "logic" behind faith however.

104914[/snapback]

Right, I see that now. But when I was a Christian, it seemed rational to believe. I don't think I was any dumber then, I just had a different perspective on life and the world around me. Maybe underlying it all was the ever-present fear of Hell. I used to read Josh McDowell, Frances Schaffer, and CS Lewis. And if you want to believe, they can surly make it seem rational.

Either way, knowledge is power!! And the more a person examines the bible with an open mind, the less rational it becomes. To that we should all agree.

Is it stupid to believe their maybe a creator?

Does it make me a moron if some part of me truly feels there is a creator?

Some people here make it look like believing in a god is a sign of immaturity or stupidity.

Im just wondering.

Why is a person dumb for thinking their might be a creator?

Some people here make it look like believing in a god is a sign of immaturity or stupidity.

Im just wondering.

105556[/snapback]

I think the major issue is the Bible. Is any other religion booktheocentric? If you have God and you have the Bible, if you take away God, what's left of the Bible? NOTHING.

But if you take away the Bible, what's left? Perhaps the REAL, Honest and Just God?

If you take away the Bible from Jews, they still have God. If you take away the Bible from Christians, uh oh, no more religion. Take any books away from any religion, you still have God, except in Christianity.

You can think about God anything you wish, don't matter to me. The problem is when you try to justify your beliefs by trying to cram them beliefs down everyone else's throat, threaten them with all sorts of shit, and tell them diametrically opposite and conflicting things as time goes on.

Paul Tobin's Central Thesis, as well as the Church of Reality, and the Jovial Atheist sites all rip apart everything equally. It's really hard to hold on to a YIF after processing what they're saying.

If nothing is created, it means everything comes from something else. We can't trace back our Earthly origins here on this planet, the life here may have originated somewhere else in the universe, and that life could have come from elsewhere, and so on and so on. We'll simply never know.

NOT until GOD, Himself, shows up and fills us in. That's the Theory of Reality and Atheism. If God Showed Up, then they'd believe.

If He ever shows up, or is really here, then my visions and dreams and voices may be correct. The Bible is Dick and Jane for the masses, end of story there. That's reall it. People online nowadays do a marvelous job of debunking EVERYTHING. Even if everything is pure bullshit, there's no reason still to not enjoy your life as fully as you can. We all have our limitations, individual hopes and desires, if not, we'd be someone else.

It's all about choice.. life/death, make the best of it.

If you want to believe there's an intelligence that created everything, go ahead. The more abstract your ideas, the better they'll hold up to scrutiny. The ones you really don't want to face as absolute NO, you can replace with IDK, there's no law against going through life having many fearful question answered with I DON'T KNOW.

If there's a God, HE approves of me and my life, every step of the way, and Thank Momndad, I learned from the real shitty ones, sometimes AFTER they managed to bail me out, and so far, nothing I've done caused my demise.

That's really the key, if you make it through 60-70 years and you're still alive, that's that. Those who are now dead can't post any more, just being here is reason enough to be grateful. God or no God. Cause if there is one, He sure understands you, and everyone else, a whole lot better than most humans will give credit for. Let them live in fear and agony, embrace reality and live how you can.

Choice, all about choice.

You made some very good points.

I don’t see how god if it exists has a religion or what says it is a he?

I Agree god approves of you ever step of the way

I think god it made you how you was supposed to be.

I think the major issue is the Bible. Is any other religion booktheocentric? If you have God and you have the Bible, if you take away God, what's left of the Bible? NOTHING.

But if you take away the Bible, what's left? Perhaps the REAL, Honest and Just God?

If you take away the Bible from Jews, they still have God. If you take away the Bible from Christians, uh oh, no more religion. Take any books away from any religion, you still have God, except in Christianity.

You can think about God anything you wish, don't matter to me. The problem is when you try to justify your beliefs by trying to cram them beliefs down everyone else's throat, threaten them with all sorts of shit, and tell them diametrically opposite and conflicting things as time goes on.

Paul Tobin's Central Thesis, as well as the Church of Reality, and the Jovial Atheist sites all rip apart everything equally. It's really hard to hold on to a YIF after processing what they're saying.

If nothing is created, it means everything comes from something else. We can't trace back our Earthly origins here on this planet, the life here may have originated somewhere else in the universe, and that life could have come from elsewhere, and so on and so on. We'll simply never know.

NOT until GOD, Himself, shows up and fills us in. That's the Theory of Reality and Atheism. If God Showed Up, then they'd believe.

If He ever shows up, or is really here, then my visions and dreams and voices may be correct. The Bible is Dick and Jane for the masses, end of story there. That's reall it. People online nowadays do a marvelous job of debunking EVERYTHING. Even if everything is pure bullshit, there's no reason still to not enjoy your life as fully as you can. We all have our limitations, individual hopes and desires, if not, we'd be someone else.

It's all about choice.. life/death, make the best of it.

If you want to believe there's an intelligence that created everything, go ahead. The more abstract your ideas, the better they'll hold up to scrutiny. The ones you really don't want to face as absolute NO, you can replace with IDK, there's no law against going through life having many fearful question answered with I DON'T KNOW.

If there's a God, HE approves of me and my life, every step of the way, and Thank Momndad, I learned from the real shitty ones, sometimes AFTER they managed to bail me out, and so far, nothing I've done caused my demise.

That's really the key, if you make it through 60-70 years and you're still alive, that's that. Those who are now dead can't post any more, just being here is reason enough to be grateful. God or no God. Cause if there is one, He sure understands you, and everyone else, a whole lot better than most humans will give credit for. Let them live in fear and agony, embrace reality and live how you can.

Choice, all about choice.

105597[/snapback]

I think it's irrational to believe there IS a creator, but not stupid to accept the possibility of one.

Well a lot of people have a lot of anger towards Theistic beliefs due to the pain it can cause or has caused in the past.

You should do what you feel is right in regards to your personal beliefs.

I think I get it.

It’s irrational if I claim there is a creator and act like I have proof

Then try too act like I know this.

That would be irrational behavior.

That’s why I say I think or feel like theirs a creator.

Im not saying I know theirs a creator.

I think it's irrational to believe there IS a creator, but not stupid to accept the possibility of one.

Well a lot of people have a lot of anger towards Theistic beliefs due to the pain it can cause or has caused in the past.

You should do what you feel is right in regards to your personal beliefs.

105613[/snapback]

No.

No.

Not to me, not in my eyes.

But to believe in an organized religion that not only claims there might be a God of some kind, but also that he is 20 feet tall, have gray hair, sits on a throne, farts when he eats carrots, wear green slacks with patches, likes to watch Oprah, put on blue slippers on Sundays, expects 10.3% of your income, knows how to tell people what to write down in a book exactly without errors, while he can't tell the rest of the people that he exists, likes eternal barbecues, enjoys having brown-noses singing the same songs for an eternity, gives us the means to sin, makes us sin, then condemn us for it, make a stupid rescue plan to solve the problem he caused and still people don't believe in him... That kind of God is kind of stupid to believe in.

Because if God exists... how the heck can you claim to know anything about him???

Im just wondering.

One of our mods is a Deist, and we have several members that believe in a higher power. But no one of them claims to know how, what, when, why, wobble, wondergirl, wiener or wubba-wubba about him.

105556[/snapback]

It is not dumb.

If there is no Creator. Then Evolution and natural selection caused the majority of humans to have a need to believe in a Creator anyway. Why? If that's what we do, it's hard to break the natural instict nature gave us. Nothing wrong with it. As long as you don't go to war over it.

If there is a Creator. Then it doesn't seem to be the Bible-God or Allah or JHWH or any other god, but an anonymous god that we can believe in, but not necessarely know much about. And if he exists, would he really require us to perform the "act of faith", and do we need to "believe" to get into his eternal kingdom? If so, then he would have shown his face. So if you believe in a Creator, which is fine, don't go into the idea that we must believe in him. That is the fundamental flaw in religion. A personal faith should be based on that God is universal and incorporate everyone and everything, regardless of ideas, thoughts and actions. That's the true God of Love.

Belief is still irrational, but you're not dumb because of it. There is no way of rationally prove or claim a Creators existence. It's either or. He exists or he doesn't. And that's it. But just because it's irrational, it doesn't mean there is an emotional craving in our mind, that makes us need this faith.

I think I get it.

105617[/snapback]

You've managed to work out the difference between "thinking" and "knowing" :woohoo:

I think the major issue is the Bible. Is any other religion booktheocentric?

Islam. And to a lesser extent, Judaism, IIRC.

I mean this difference

If you say you think its going to rain tomorrow its usually guessing

But if you say you know its going to rain tomorrow you saying you know for sure.

I think I get it.

105617[/snapback]

You've managed to work out the difference between "thinking" and "knowing" :woohoo:

105623[/snapback]

I agree that kind of god would not make sense

But to believe in an organized religion that not only claims there might be a God of some kind, but also that he is 20 feet tall, have gray hair, sits on a throne, farts when he eats carrots, wear green slacks with patches, likes to watch Oprah, put on blue slippers on Sundays, expects 10.3% of your income, knows how to tell people what to write down in a book exactly without errors, while he can't tell the rest of the people that he exists, likes eternal barbecues, enjoys having brown-noses singing the same songs for an eternity, gives us the means to sin, makes us sin, then condemn us for it, make a stupid rescue plan to solve the problem he caused and still people don't believe in him... That kind of God is kind of stupid to believe in.

Because if God exists... how the heck can you claim to know anything about him???

you can't

I agree I think if creator expected anything from us

The creator would personally say so and not send a human to say it for him.

If there is a Creator. Then it doesn't seem to be the Bible-God or Allah or JHWH or any other god, but an anonymous god that we can believe in, but not necessarely know much about. And if he exists, would he really require us to perform the "act of faith", and do we need to "believe" to get into his eternal kingdom? If so, then he would have shown his face. So if you believe in a Creator, which is fine, don't go into the idea that we must believe in him. That is the fundamental flaw in religion. A personal faith should be based on that God is universal and incorporate everyone and everything, regardless of ideas, thoughts and actions. That's the true God of Love.

Belief is still irrational, but you're not dumb because of it. There is no way of rationally prove or claim a Creators existence. It's either or. He exists or he doesn't. And that's it. But just because it's irrational, it doesn't mean there is an emotional craving in our mind, that makes us need this faith.

105618[/snapback]

I mean this difference

If you say you think its going to rain tomorrow its usually guessing

But if you say you know its going to rain tomorrow you saying you know for sure.

105899[/snapback]

And that was exactly why I put the :woohoo: smiley... I'm glad you know that difference as it's a critical part of rational thinking. (and generally unknown in Christianity...)