Goodbye Jesus

"scott" As Fiction

roman

This "topic" will get lost on the ShoutBox, due to its limited visual space. So I continue it here, for your contemplation, response.

1. roman (9/10/06 10:08 am)  --  Let me give you another perspective. "Scott" is some college student writer's wet dream, not an actual person. First the author has him come here with fire and brimstone, eliciting many posts from us. Then "Scott" appears to deconvert, eliciting many responses from us. It is a fiction.

2. roman (9/10/06 10:12 am)  --  "Scott" is not the only fictional character I have seen, here. I would say the board is about 50/50 real/invented. Same as any other internet board.

3. apatim (9/10/06 10:18 am)  --  Hmmm... so I'm not the only one with that thought?

Yeah, I know, roman, I've had that same thought myself, on more than one occasion. It seemed that his only interest was in what kind of emotions he could stir up with some of his absurd postings. I even stopped responding to some of his posts. But then sometimes, it's just too hard to resist this cornflake.

How true. His button-pushing technique appears to be studied. Like a college student would do, writing a paper for a Sociology class, or preparing for a Master's thesis.

I often think about if I would have come to the boards when I was a Christian and read some of the comments made by us. I would have have had to examine what I believed and why. If Scott is a hoax, than he's a hoax. However, if he is a real person than he needs to hear what we have to say. I don't think we should write him off just because we may suspect he may be a hoax.

Perhaps you're right Roman. It is entirely possible that "Scott" is a fiction. That strikes me as a rather cynical view, but it is possible. It seems to me however that Scott has demonstrated all the attributes of a young know-it-all Christian.

Even if he is some author's fiction, it is not entirely without drama to play along. I suppose that this may cause you to think me a sucker, huh? I would think that someone who has a degree in theatre would appreciate a little drama.

I often think about if I would have come to the boards when I was a Christian and read some of the comments made by us. I would have have had to examine what I believed and why. If Scott is a hoax, than he's a hoax. However, if he is a real person than he needs to hear what we have to say. I don't think we should write him off just because we may suspect he may be a hoax.

I can't disagree with you on that. I just gave another perspective, another possibility, another way of looking at this entity, who is manipulative, provocative, and hard to take as real.

I'm a good guy too, just like you, and I would like to offer what assistance I could offer to such a person. But the feeling persists that this is not a real person.

Perhaps you're right Roman. It is entirely possible that "Scott" is a fiction. That strikes me as a rather cynical view, but it is possible. It seems to me however that Scott has demonstrated all the attributes of a young know-it-all Christian.

Even if he is some author's fiction, it is not entirely without drama to play along. I suppose that this may cause you to think me a sucker, huh? I would think that someone who has a degree in theatre would appreciate a little drama.

LOL - Oh, I have loved it and had a great time, just as all of us have! But notice your own analysis of this character - "he has demonstrated all the attributes of a young know-it-all Christian" - just like a character in a play. A studied character.

I don't suggest abandoning this "person," because it might really BE a person. I just offered another ending to the story.

You have no idea how many times I HOPED that some of the Christians who post here were in fact a hoax. It's difficult being confronted with the reality that people are, in fact, that dumb.

You have no idea how many times I HOPED that some of the Christians who post here were in fact a hoax. It's difficult being confronted with the reality that people are, in fact, that dumb.

LOL - Oh, but I have met many folks in real life who were just like many here. But not "Scott." He just seems too perfect of a character. He is TOO irritating. I have offered him kindness more than once, and he never responded to that.

I am guilty of being unkind to Xians; I admit it. But not in their own homes, not in person, and not in front of others (unless you count the internet). I have been unkind to Amy Marie, because she is so goody-two-shoes, so infuriating by calling herself an artist, and so dumb. She desperately needs a hit of acid.

Much of the barebones "good stuff" of Xianity stays with me even though the religion does not. That's because of my own personality, not because of Xianity. I want to be kind, and I want to be good to everyone. Yet because of my own character flaws, I am unable to maintain saintliness for long periods. Especially if it's time for my BP medicine!

Much of the barebones "good stuff" of Xianity stays with me even though the religion does not. That's because of my own personality, not because of Xianity. I want to be kind, and I want to be good to everyone. Yet because of my own character flaws, I am unable to maintain saintliness for long periods. Especially if it's time for my BP medicine!

Christianity doesn't have a corner on the "good stuff". I think that you would be that way even if you never believed in Christianity in the first place.

I'm not BP, and I'm the exact same way. I'm human. Yes, I've gone off on Christians here, but I've been on the boards for a while. I've seen lots of Christians come and go. It's mostly same shit, different Chrisitan.

Some of us had been burned by a Christian who had posted here almost a year ago. He used our posts here, without our permission, on his web page in a derogatory way to show us in a bad light. Some of it was personal information that we would have shared only with other Ex-Christians. They were taken out of context and showed him as the Christian hero battling the evil apostates. The truth was he couldn't answer our questions and for everything we said, it was, "No, it's not" "Yes, it is". He was threatened with a law suit, banned, and the boards had to overhauled.

I remember that, Taph..and he wasn't the only one who has done that. I've come across references to here on other boards in the past too.

As to Scott..I'm not sure what to make of him. Could it possibly be that he is doubting and fighting that doubt? I suppose. It just seems odd that he went from "Jesus will return/is the son of god/blah blah blah" to "I'm changing my thinking" in less than 5 hours.

Remembering back to my own deconversion..it did seem to me to occur in a flash..a pivotal moment. But it really didn't. It did occur over a span of time, but the final straw was in a flash.

Guess it bears watching.

Also..reminds me of other spoofs..not here, but another board, another time. Someone taking the "bad guy" role to gain further insight. I guess..role playing.

real person or not, "Scott" does inspire alot of activity and staves off the boredom.

Taph, I think you mistook me on something - I wasn't referring to Bi-Polar with the BP reference, if that's what you thought. I meant Blood Pressure.

I am SO, SO sorry. I did mistake you. Whenever, I see "BP", I automatically think Bi Polar. Maybe, it's because of all the discussions we've had here on it. Thank you for clearing it up.

real person or not, "Scott" does inspire alot of activity and staves off the boredom.

How true. He has been very popular.

Like a shiny new toy almost, you know? I see him as a Stretch Armstrong. You can stretch him and try to get him to think differently, but he just snaps back to his original position. That's actually a pretty good comparison for Christians in general, isn't it?

I know I've enjoyed reading the exchanges in a "kind of want to gouge out my own eyes" sort of way.

Like a shiny new toy almost, you know? I see him as a Stretch Armstrong. You can stretch him and try to get him to think differently, but he just snaps back to his original position. That's actually a pretty good comparison for Christians in general, isn't it?

I know I've enjoyed reading the exchanges in a "kind of want to gouge out my own eyes" sort of way.

Ouch. And now, he's teasing us. This is no ordinary dumb-ass fundie kid from Alabama. He's something else, though I may not have guessed right. Yet.

He's a universal soldier for Christ :grin:

There are plenty of those know-it-all young Christians. I'm not impressed.

Goldy?

So Scott is now J.S. huh? Well a rose by any other name still has just as many thorns. Thanks for the info Taylor.

I think it's Asimov pulling our leg. ^_^

Seriously, who else puts all their type in bold 'round here?

Just in case you didn't know Scott is no longer Scott. He has evolved into J.S. Guess he was born again :shrug:

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?show...amp;st=80

Wouldn't that be "born again again"?

Anyway, I think he's implying that JS stands for "Jesus" (Jay S), but I think of him as Jack S.

If Scott/J.S. is a fake, he's a pretty good one. I think he's for real; his posts sound exactly what I would have written a while back.