Goodbye Jesus

Types Of Atheists

Asimov

I don't find it necessary to label myself or try to fit others into specific pigeon holes because I have no need to try to assume a mantle of superiority.

Ditto. :shrug:

There are many of us who see through you to what you are. Not that there's anything WRONG with being a 22-year-old wise-ass college student; it's just that we've already BEEN that.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Asimov

• woodsmoke

• AgnosticBob AtheistPants

• roman

I don't find it necessary to label myself or try to fit others into specific pigeon holes because I have no need to try to assume a mantle of superiority.

Ditto. :shrug:

There are many of us who see through you to what you are. Not that there's anything WRONG with being a 22-year-old wise-ass college student; it's just that we've already BEEN that.

I'm not a college student, so nyah.

Sorry. I got that from your blog.

Sorry. I got that from your blog.

Oh dear, I still have that? Jesus that's old.

I'm still a closet atheist, the only people who know are my family.

I don't give a shit!

but the term 'atheist' doesn't come into my life at ALL

unless I hook up to the internet

so I guess....I'm an "online atheist"

& who the fuck cares about that

right!

:HaHa:

I didn't make it up. I found it on a forum and thought it was funny.

Ah. Maybe note that next time. Otherwise we're all going to start thinking you're a 22 yr. old wise-assed college student. :grin:

I didn't make it up. I found it on a forum and thought it was funny.

Ah. Maybe note that next time. Otherwise we're all going to start thinking you're a 22 yr. old wise-assed college student. :grin:

Maybe....hehe, guess who wrote it?

Francois Tremblay. For those of you who know who he is I'm sure you aren't surprised.

Not in the least. Just as brash, condescending and offensive as ever, I see. Good to know he hasn't lost his touch. :mellow:

SNOOKUMS! That Avatar is making me nauseous! I keep expecting to ZOOM IN to SOMETHING!

:woopsie:

SNOOKUMS! That Avatar is making me nauseous! I keep expecting to ZOOM IN to SOMETHING!

:woopsie:

Effective.....ain't it.

Perhaps the moral of the experience is.......Expectations can be a 'bugger'...(a Letdown)..!

cheers mate!

Maybe....hehe, guess who wrote it?

Francois Tremblay. For those of you who know who he is I'm sure you aren't surprised.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I'm not a bit surprised. In fact I could have sworn I've seen this before.

Although I do want to stab people who call themselves agnostic atheists in the face.

Although I do want to stab people who call themselves agnostic atheists in the face.

:eek:

:scratch:

:shrug:

Stab away.

:poke:

I think you misunderstand, ABAP. Assy just likes stabbing people in the face. It's one of his favorite pasttimes. :mellow:

Humanist atheist: They like to hold hands. Beurk. Usually utters inoffensive prattle, except when they start talking about how great "Jesus" was.

I'm a humanist, and I don't care much for hand-holding. I don't think Jeebus was that great, either. :P

Just an atheist, period. And I don't give a good goddamn about the details.

Anyway, I think of myself as a Materialist with leanings towards philosophical buddhism, and strong secular humanist tendencies. I tend to worship art & music.

Also, I love humans. :wub: I used to hate them, but now realize I'm actually not much better than the average hume, so why not love instead of hate?

When did I turn from a nihilist punk into a damn hippy? :shrug:

Hmmm :scratch: this sounds quite a lot like me.... I come down strongest on the secular humanist side, with a definite bent toward to the aesthetic in the human experience. Is there a choice for "Aesthetic Atheism"?

I guess I don't fall into any of the above. I'm agnostic, but I think that humanity as a whole has the ability to make a better world through logic and reasoning.

Religious atheist: Wicca, Buddhist, Satanist atheists. They don't tend to care that much for atheism.

I can't comment on Wicca or Satanist 'cause I have no idea what they are.

To call Buddhism a "religion" however is erroneous. To claim that a Buddhist wouldn't care that much for atheism doesn't cut it in my book. I deny the existance of any kind of god, deity, angel, tooth fairy, hobgoblin just like any other atheist.

The online Merriam-Webster dictionary defines atheist as: one who believes that there is no deity.

Well then as a Buddhist who denies the existance of deities, I am atheist.

There are those forms of Buddhism (Jodoshu and Jodo Shinshu) who claim that there is a Pure Land (heaven) and that we will go there when we die (what a load of sh!t). This school of Buddhism is heavily influenced by Christian thought. But these schools have deviated so far from Buddhist teachings as to be something else altogether.

The Buddha taught that to believe in gods/deities was superstition. Be a light unto yourselves were his last words. Trust no scripture or written text and don't follow traditions. I'd say that was atheist wouldn't you?

The online Merriam-Webster dictionary defines atheist as: one who believes that there is no deity.

Even realizing we live in a heavily theistic society and that lingual definitions are influenced substantially by that, this makes me sad. :(

Even realizing we live in a heavily theistic society and that lingual definitions are influenced substantially by that, this makes me sad. :(

The word Atheism derives from the Greek atheos, a = without, theos = God. So "without God," one who doesn't believe in God/deities. What other meaning can be derived from the origin of the word?

The natural condition of all humans at birth and prior to indoctrination in or self-invention of Theism - does that sound better? I like that one.

I found this one while trauling the net: "Atheism is just as active a religious system as is Islam, Christianity or Hinduism. The difference is that the atheist belief system falls on the opposite pole of the spectrum from those religions in that it is a negative rather than a positive belief."

I can see nothing religious nor negative about denying the existance of gods/deities/supernatural beings.

Agreed. The idea that atheism is a positive assertion of the non-existence of a deity is a myth perpetrated through malice and ignorance. An atheist is no more active in their disbelief than is a tree in its growth (forgive the weird analogy, even being the weekend it's late according to my college student schedule).

Agreed. The idea that atheism is a positive assertion of the non-existence of a deity is a myth perpetrated through malice and ignorance. An atheist is no more active in their disbelief than is a tree in its growth (forgive the weird analogy, even being the weekend it's late according to my college student schedule).

It's not a positive assertion to say that you believe there is no god.