Goodbye Jesus

Unbelievable!

Brother Jeff

BrotherJeff...Did you do something to your hair? You look a little different.

BrotherJeff...Did you do something to your hair? You look a little different.

Yeah, that's it... and Jesus fucked me up for once again not believing in Him...

Welcome back, Jeff! *hugs*

Welcome back, Jeff! *hugs*

Thanks! Glory!

From http://www.religionisbullshit.org/2006/09/unbelievable.html:

One of the classes I am taking out at the University of Alaska Anchorage this semester is "The Rise of Civilization". We are currently studying human evolution. I could not believe what I heard in class today. Before she launched into her lecture, my professor gave a disclaimer concerning evolution. I don't remember her exact words because I was so amazed at the time by what I was hearing, but she basically said that she didn't want anyone (meaning religious folks) to be uncomfortable, but that this (human evolution) is how anthropologists (and all scientists, for that matter) view human origins. That such a disclaimer should have to be made is, in my mind, a sad state of affairs. Why, in this country, are we allowing a bunch of ignorant religious fanatics to bully us into having to apologize whenever we present the DEMONSTRABLE REALITY of human evolution? Evolution is not something that is up for debate or that is questionable. It is a reality for which the evidence is OVERWHELMING. I'm sure the university required my professor to make her disclaimer to placate religious people, but in my mind, she should have just launched into her lecture and not worried about offending (often willfully) ignorant people. Religion has always been the enemy of science and of scientific progress, and what I witnessed today in the classroom was indeed a sad event. I think we all - those of us on both sides of the fence - need to WAKE UP. Religious people need to WAKE UP and realize that their religious myths do NOT equal REALITY. Those of us who live in the REAL world need to WAKE UP and realize that placating religious people and attempting to appease them by apologizing for realities that might offend them is not the way to go. Religion needs to be driven as far away from the classroom as it possibly can be for the good of us all. And just for the record, as should be obvious, no I do NOT believe that ignorance-laced beliefs about the nature of reality deserve respect, nor do I believe that willfully and stubbornly ignorant religious people deserve respect. End of rant.

I would take the above, maybe rewrite a bit to soften the tone and send it to the dean(s). If you use a respectful/questioning/inteligent tone you might just get a reply. I'm curious if this was a required disclaimer or something the instructor did to head off any fundy'ism.