Goodbye Jesus

Missionary Challenge

SkepticOfBible

This is not a challenge for all Christians, but for those who want to witness and teach us the "truth of Jesus Christ"

I know on the Internet there are lots of challenges that are put forward by both Christians and non-Christian alike, but I usually find them to quite exaggerated. I believe I do have a more simpler challenge than the rest. So here it is.

All the missionary has to do is to convince a Orthodox Jew the validity and truth of any one of the following core Christian doctrine aka "truths", in light of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament, ie you slant on the said scripture is the correct one.

1)Original Sin/Fall of Man

2)Vicarious atonement through a human sin sacrifice

3)Trinity Doctrine

4)The Devil/Satan

5)Sacrifices as the only way to gain atonement

6)Nature of man is Evil

7)Perfection is needed to be justified before God

8)Hell as a place of eternal torment/punishment of the afterlife

9)Messianic ruler to be God incarnate.

and lastly

9)Jesus was the Prophesied Jewish Messiah

In my discussion with the Jews, I discovered they do not believe in any of the above Christian doctrines, because according to them there is no scriptural justification for these doctrines. Strange isn't it?

Here are the Internet forums where you can try to discuss your theology with them

Jews for Judaism Forum

Messiah Truth Forum

Note, outright proselytizing is simply not allowed eg. regurgitating of christian scriptures is a strict no-no. So therefore patience and open mindedness are essential qualities for these discussions. If you don't have these qualities, then you shouldn't be a missionary in the first place. (Tip:Try asking questions instead of making assertions)

So why am I asking you this?

The Jews are said to be God's "chosen people". They are the original authors and the inheritors of the Hebrew scripture. They know the scripture better than most of us and are already true believers of Yahweh. So one cannot argue that they are just stubborn unbelievers or they don't know what they are talking about. If your "truth" does not pass the scrutiny of the Jews, then what right do you have to convert us to your faith? Would you want to teach us something that is false?

Secondly, Christianity is said to be offshoot/sect of Judaism and the NT is said to be the continued revelation of the Hebrew scripture, yet till date no evangelical Christian has ever answered me a very critical question - "Why don't Jews believe in Jesus or the NT?". Ignorance is mostly the reason. So this adventure should be very educational for you.

Offcourse I am not so cruel to send you into a battle unprepared. Here are some are Jewish Counter Missionary Websites which contain arguments against Christianity

Messiah Truth / Virtual Yeshiva

Jews for Judaism Library

Faith Strengthened - Isaac Troki(16th Centuary Counter Missionary)

Here is a good starting point

Differences between Judaism and Christianity

So what say you, evangelical Christian? are you Game?

This should be easy for you, since it is claimed that the Protestant Christian message is so simple that "even a child could understand it". So convincing a Orthodox Jew that any one of the above is a sound doctrine, should be a walk in the park

Please post us the status of your discussion, so that we can verify your "success"

Good luck and may your God help you

SkepticOfBible

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

This should be easy for you, since it is claimed that the Protestant Christian message is so simple that "even a child could understand it". So convincing a Orthodox Jew that any one of the above is a sound doctrine, should be a walk in the park

Please post us the status of your discussion, so that we can verify your "success"

SkepticOfBible

I have a special place in my heart for Orthodox Jews. They helped me immensely in my deconversion process. They also view god thru logic and reason not knee jerk emotionalism, debate and discussion is also encouraged. When I found out that nothing I was taught in church was the original meaning as handed down by the god of Abraham, shock and dismay were my two most prominent emotions. All Christians should be required to study the Torah from Jews the original writers, they will see there is no possible way their religion is true. The more I learned the more I knew that Christianity stems directly from Greek/Roman pagan sun/son worship... nothing more.

I have since arrived at a place that I question if God even is.

• 1 month later...

That's very interesting...although I doubt there are as many missionaries here as there are other places.

• 2 weeks later...

Skeptic,

Thanks for the post. This is an angle I'd wondered about. This is a helpful starting point.

Mongo

• 1 month later...
This is not a challenge for all Christians, but for those who want to witness and teach us the "truth of Jesus Christ"

9)Jesus was the Prophesied Jewish Messiah

In my discussion with the Jews, I discovered they do not believe in any of the above Christian doctrines, because according to them there is no scriptural justification for these doctrines.

The fact that there are large numbers of Messianic Jews who do believe in Jesus already disproves your basic contention. There are numerous types of Jews, and not all agree on the interpretations of scriptures ( much like Christians, etc) so it is not at all strange that some believe in specific ways- that in itself proves nothing.

Here are the Internet forums where you can try to discuss your theology with them

Jews for Judaism Forum

Messiah Truth Forum

I have particiapted briefly in these types of forums. I found the most active members ( in the ones I visited at the time) were mainly proselytes, iow, they had been raised Christian and become Jewish, and were interested in debating for their new-found faith. Few of the Jewish friends I've had were interested in debating religion along the lines you advocate.

So why am I asking you this?

The Jews are said to be God's "chosen people". They are the original authors and the inheritors of the Hebrew scripture. They know the scripture better than most of us and are already true believers of Yahweh.

yes, yes, .... uh no. Surprisingly enough there are many who do not know their scriptures well. It is a matter of interest- being born Jewish, loving your culture does not always mean they study and know their own scriptures. Same may be said of some Christians.

If they are true believers of Yahweh, why not encourage them to fully follow their faith? I have met many who found Christ in just that way.

So one cannot argue that they are just stubborn unbelievers or they don't know what they are talking about. If your "truth" does not pass the scrutiny of the Jews, then what right do you have to convert us to your faith? Would you want to teach us something that is false?

This is faulty reasoning. People are people... conversion comes from personal conviction of truth... many things factor into this, not the least of which is dependent upon God revealing Himself. Truth is not evidenced by what we perceive it to be, but upon its own power to evidence itself. That is why the best thing you can do is present the arguments, give witness to it- you cannot make someone believe what they are convinced they do not want to believe.

Secondly, Christianity is said to be offshoot/sect of Judaism and the NT is said to be the continued revelation of the Hebrew scripture, yet till date no evangelical Christian has ever answered me a very critical question - "Why don't Jews believe in Jesus or the NT?". Ignorance is mostly the reason. So this adventure should be very educational for you.

Again, you forget history. All the first Christians were Jews. Until recent time, Jews who believed in Jesus were not given chance to call themselves Messianic Jews -that is to embrace both their Messiah and their Jewish heritage. This is changing. There are Jews who believe in Jesus as their Messiah.

I say, been there done that. I always end up in the same place: I encourage Jewish people to pursue the truth in their scriptures and seek their G-d. I let them know that I support them and Israel even though I don't always appreciate what some Jewish people say and think about Christians...but they are God's chosen, and those who love God will love the Jew. I believe this and am willing to stand by it in a world increasingly anti-Semitic.

Oh hahaha. If only it were that easy. Understanding the message is one step, the minds of men are not so simple and the barriers to faith are quite intransigent at times.

....as you should well know;)

SkepticOfBible

like notches on our "guns" or what? But I like your attitude. I'm afraid I just discuss and pray.... don't have the calling to "close the deal" as I think that is between a man and his God. That is why I am on forums and the internet and not at the pulpit I guess.