God Is Busy Today (and My Response)

Reverend AtheiStar

http://www.reverendatheistar.com/christian...collection3.htm

God is busy today

Two things to know before you read below: Marines / Soldiers are taught 1)

Keep your priorities in order and 2) Know when to act without hesitation.

A Marine was attending a college course between missions in Iraq and

Afghanistan. The professor, an avowed atheist, shocked the class one day

when he walked in, looked toward the ceiling, and said loudly, "God, if you

are real then I want you to knock me off this platform.  I'll give you

exactly 15 minutes."   The lecture room fell silent and the professor began

his lecture.  Ten minutes went by and the professor proclaimed, "Here I am

God - still waiting."

It got down to the last minute when the Marine stood up, walked toward the

professor and threw his best punch knocking him off the platform and out

cold. The Marine went back to his seat and sat down.

The other students were shocked and stunned and sat there looking on in

silence. The professor came to, noticeably shaken, looked at the Marine and

asked, " What is the matter with you? Why did you do that?

The Marine calmly replied, "God is busy today protecting America's soldiers

who are protecting your right to behave like an idiot and say stupid stuff.

So He sent me."

The Response:

Is this the way the Marine would like to be treated? Would he like to be punched in the face for behaving like an idiot and saying stupid stuff? Is this not the "Golden Rule" that Christians hold so highly? I guess the author of this tall tale must have forgotten about that. Or maybe not. Maybe this is exactly the way the Marine would like to be treated. Given the violence inherent in military training, perhaps he's come to believe that this is the way to treat others -- as he feels the violence perpetrated against him has had a positive effect. This example of the Marine's idiotic behavior is a wonderful example of what is wrong with their cherished rule. Since it relies on the person, it's entirely subjective! For another example of how flawed this rule is, think of the hypothetical person as a "cutter," a person who believes they should be cut when they feel bad to overpower the emotional pain. Now imagine such a person with a child. Should they follow the rule?

The next flaw I see is that the author has demoted their god quite a few levels. I would think this would amount to blasphemy, heresy or at least just a major sin! How can an omnipotent and omnipresent deity ever be too busy to do anything?! He would have limitless power and be present at every point within the universe simultaneously! He, according to scripture, should be able to protect the soldiers (I guess he only protects his favorites), protect everyone (again favorites) on the planet as well, protect the trillions of other alien life forms (if they exist) that would be his creations as well, mange a billion other parallel universes (if they exist) and still have time to knock down the Atheist in person!

The final flaw is a fatal one. Let's suppose the Atheist professor had said something along the lines of "God, if you exist, may you strike me dead right now!" Would the Marine, with his impeccable logic, take out his gun and kill the professor? Would he then give his line saying that "God had sent him?" Why not? The Crusades, the Witch Hunts, The Inquisition, the Holocaust were all built upon the biblically solid idea that Yahweh wants certain people killed. It is undeniable that the god character loves death and suffering. He's admitted he's the author of all evil. He had his own son tortured to death to forgive other people (dyslexia, anyone?)! It just makes sense that such atrocities have been and still will be committed in the name of deities as long as believers believe that this is what their gods want. This story is brutal reminder of that.

Nice, but shouldn't you have also touched on the propaganda aspects as well? Such as xians are patriots and athiests are obviously just pseudo-intellectual blowhards? That athiests "force" their views while xians do not? The class did not ask for this professor to do this demonstration after all (we do not even know the course) he simply showed up and "preached" the anti-word as all atheists do.

In the end "god" did prove his point. He worked his magic through the marine. The unpatriotic pussy was knocked cold. A win for god AND country. You can't beat that...except with propaganda.

mwc

Nice, but shouldn't you have also touched on the propaganda aspects as well? Such as xians are patriots and athiests are obviously just pseudo-intellectual blowhards? That athiests "force" their views while xians do not? The class did not ask for this professor to do this demonstration after all (we do not even know the course) he simply showed up and "preached" the anti-word as all atheists do.

In the end "god" did prove his point. He worked his magic through the marine. The unpatriotic pussy was knocked cold. A win for god AND country. You can't beat that...except with propaganda.

mwc

My part is done. I'll be happy to publish your response, though. Would you like to use this one or will you write a complete rebuttal for my site?

mwc

My part is done. I'll be happy to publish your response, though. Would you like to use this one or will you write a complete rebuttal for my site?

Oh, I hadn't thought about it really. I just pulled this out of my butt (like most of my posts ;) ). If you like it feel free to use it. Other than my rants on the site here I've never really tried writing so I don't know if I could come up with anything better.

mwc

mwc

Oh, I hadn't thought about it really. I just pulled this out of my butt (like most of my posts ;) ). If you like it feel free to use it. Other than my rants on the site here I've never really tried writing so I don't know if I could come up with anything better.

mwc

Well, maybe you should try. Just look at each part of the story, italicize, and make a comment of at least two to three good senstences. There's nothing ot it. All you need is an opinion -- which you obviously already have. Just exapnd on what you wrote to me about propaganda. That's a great angle and something, as you noted, I totally neglected.

Guest dualaces123

I could write a Christian rebuttal too that email. Rest assured, it isn't only atheists who find almost all of those "Christian" (usually more like pseudo-christian) emails annoying.

I think it is a little humorous to dignify such a ridiculous email with a full rebuttal. Then again, I suppose even patriotic grandmother's in texas who just learned how to forward emails need to be rebutted now and again.

-mike

All hail SNOPES. This is bullshit.

http://www.snopes.com/religion/einstein.asp

Navy SEALs are always taught

1) Keep your priorities in order and

2) Know when to act without hesitation.

A Navy SEAL was attending some college courses between assignments. He had completed missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. One of the courses had a professor who was an avowed atheist and a member of the ACLU. One day he shocked the class when he came in, looked to the ceiling, and flatly stated, "God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform. I'll give you exactly 15 minutes."

The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop. Ten minutes went by and the professor proclaimed, "Here I am God. I'm still waiting."

It got down to the last couple of minutes when the SEAL got out of his chair, went up to the professor, and cold-cocked him; knocking him off the platform. The professor was out cold. The SEAL went back to his seat and sat there, silently. The other students were shocked and stunned and sat there looking on in silence.

The professor eventually came to, noticeably shaken, looked at the SEAL and asked, "What the hell is the matter with you? Why did you do that?"

The SEAL calmly replied, "God was too busy today protecting America's soldiers who are protecting your right to say stupid shit and act like an asshole. So He sent me."

All hail SNOPES. This is bullshit.

lol... I never thought it was real for a second. I've seen quite a few of these and the smell that came off of this one was overpowering. That doesn't mean that it doesn't need a response, though. That way, whenever this thing rears it's ugly head, again, I'll be ready with a pre-fab to send back.

p.s. Snopes does rock, though!

I could write a Christian rebuttal too that email. Rest assured, it isn't only atheists who find almost all of those "Christian" (usually more like pseudo-christian) emails annoying.

I think it is a little humorous to dignify such a ridiculous email with a full rebuttal. Then again, I suppose even patriotic grandmother's in texas who just learned how to forward emails need to be rebutted now and again.

-mike

I find it fun to tear apart these overly-forwarded fictitious emails. I no longer recieve them, though, and so I must rely on other people (who don't like them) sending them. If you have any you've recently recieved you'd like to feed to me, I'd appreciate it.

I'd love to read your rebuttal. Let's see it!

mwc

mwc

Ok, its up!