Goodbye Jesus

Coming Out?

leftofpunk

So I've been an agnostic atheist for a while now. I guess it's been maybe six years or so that I've been comfortable with the word "atheist" to describe myself.

I try to keep my atheism a non-issue the same why I think a god is a non-issue, but for some reason I feel the need to tell my family that i'm atheist. Only problem is that I live half an hour away from my dad and they prolly already assume it. I did think about sending my mom a ltter but we really don't talk anymore (long story). I'm just stuck.

Although I suppose I can tell one person and let the rumor mill do it's job right?

I try to keep my atheism a non-issue the same why I think a god is a non-issue, but for some reason I feel the need to tell my family that i'm atheist. Only problem is that I live half an hour away from my dad and they prolly already assume it. I did think about sending my mom a ltter but we really don't talk anymore (long story). I'm just stuck.

Do you really *need* to tell them? Why? Your belief system is YOUR belief system. It's not like your sexual orientation (which does involve other people).

Your belief system is different. Not that you need to keep it secret, but you really need to understand precisely why you feel the need to tell everyone about it. Becasue if you do it the wrong way and for the wrong reasons, you can leave your listeners with the impression (particularly if your beliefs are different from theirs) that YOUR belief is superior.

And even if you DO feel your belief is superior.....telling your family for that reason is just plain rude.

Is your desire to tell a latent after-effect of christianity? Christianity promotes "selling" their belief system to others. Religions recruit. Abandonment of those systems require a lot of research and freethought of the individual person. But the elation and happiness one feels when they have come to terms with their own belief coincides with that sudden need to "share" the "good news" of it (latent religion after-effect).

When it comes to belief systems, personally I just discuss my feelings and opinions about various social issues, and eventually someone will ASK me about my beliefs. Then I tell them. IF they get upset, I can justifiably shrug my shoulders and say "Hey, you asked." This reminds the listener that they did indeed inquire, and I did not just approach them out of the blue with the intent of "selling" my belief system to them.

Overall, wanting to share your beliefs is fine, just remember that how you DO it will effect how willing people are going to be about respecting your beliefs (which they won't if they think you are telling them in order to "sell").

I'm going to work from the assumption that you're not materially dependent on your parental units and can make a go of it if the shit hits the fan. If this is the case, tell them the truth if asked a direct question.

Otherwise, I would sit with this a bit longer and try to determine what message I'm trying to convey with the coming-out. It's an arduous and traumatic process, and once it's done you can't take it back. Proceed with caution.

So I've been an agnostic atheist for a while now. I guess it's been maybe six years or so that I've been comfortable with the word "atheist" to describe myself.

Although I suppose I can tell one person and let the rumor mill do it's job right?

It seems to me there is no need to go out of your way to tell your parents. Perhaps you have a need to be affirmed in your disbelief, or desire to be preached at for some reason. I believe your disbelief is a personal matter. Good luck!